The Korea Situation; It's Very Serious

greg775

Is this North Korea situation serious or not?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is this North Korea situation serious or not?

• Yes it is very serious; we are on brink of war
    • No, we're not going to do anything warlike
    • Maybe.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 09:45 AM)
Have you ever had your child(usually toddler age) say something over and over because one time you thought it was cute but now it's annoying AF because they keep saying it over and over?

That is "rocket man"

You thought "rocket man" was cute the first time you heard it?

Trump told the U.N. he might "totally destroy" North Korea and called Kim Un Jung "Rocket Man." Even if you hate Trump you have to love the Rocket Man reference. I wonder if Jung heard about it. s***, if you are an advisor and tell Jung about it, he might have you killed just for the hell of it.

I hope you all are right and Jung doesn't want thermonuclear war. I don't feel like missing the 2018 Sox season living underground somewhere in a bunker.

You gotta admit, as repulsive as Trump is, this tough talk is refreshing. Kim Jong Un is totally in the wrong with what he's been up to.

GO SOX! GO USA!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 11:08 PM)
Trump told the U.N. he might "totally destroy" North Korea and called Kim Un Jung "Rocket Man." Even if you hate Trump you have to love the Rocket Man reference. I wonder if Jung heard about it. s***, if you are an advisor and tell Jung about it, he might have you killed just for the hell of it.

I hope you all are right and Jung doesn't want thermonuclear war. I don't feel like missing the 2018 Sox season living underground somewhere in a bunker.

You gotta admit, as repulsive as Trump is, this tough talk is refreshing. Kim Jong Un is totally in the wrong with what he's been up to.

GO SOX! GO USA!

Greg, the President of the USA resorted to name calling and used an emoji and hashtag to threaten to murder over 25 million in a nuclear holocaust.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 10:08 PM)

GO SOX! GO USA!

Rocket man is a terrible reference. It makes me think of Elton John and in that song the Rocket Man is not a bad guy at all. It actually makes Kim seem like a sympathetic figure who is doing this because its his job.

QUOTE (Quin @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 04:30 AM)
Greg, the President of the USA resorted to name calling and used an emoji and hashtag to threaten to murder over 25 million in a nuclear holocaust.

Well when you put it that way, it's not good.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 04:34 AM)
Rocket man is a terrible reference. It makes me think of Elton John and in that song the Rocket Man is not a bad guy at all. It actually makes Kim seem like a sympathetic figure who is doing this because its his job.

It just struck me as funny calling him Rocket Man. I can picture Kim fuming.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2017 -> 11:18 PM)
Well when you put it that way, it's not good.

It just struck me as funny calling him Rocket Man. I can picture Kim fuming.

I picture Kim really happy. All he wants is attention and to be noticed. He is getting everything he wants right now and in the process making the US look weak. He knows that the US cant nuke NK, its not an option. So the entire point is to show the rest of the world that they can call the US bluff as long as they have nuclear weapons. He has done more to promote nuclear proliferation in the 6 months than any other country had done in the previous 50.

All the US has to do is make threats it can enforce. But Trump has to take it beyond what we can actually do, and in the process it has made the US look extremely weak. That is why you only threaten what you can deliver on.

The only possible end game is for the US is to walk back all the threats and start the game over.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 01:00 AM)
I picture Kim really happy. All he wants is attention and to be noticed. He is getting everything he wants right now and in the process making the US look weak. He knows that the US cant nuke NK, its not an option. So the entire point is to show the rest of the world that they can call the US bluff as long as they have nuclear weapons. He has done more to promote nuclear proliferation in the 6 months than any other country had done in the previous 50.

All the US has to do is make threats it can enforce. But Trump has to take it beyond what we can actually do, and in the process it has made the US look extremely weak. That is why you only threaten what you can deliver on.

The only possible end game is for the US is to walk back all the threats and start the game over.

It also makes North Korean propaganda much, much easier.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 05:00 AM)

I disagree with the premise. The US doesn't look weak here IMO. In fact it looks insane and crazy. I picture Trump as telling the truth. When I heard it I thought he meant it. Also there was a murmur in the hall when he said it. We can disagree here but I think Trump means it. Yes he's crazy enough to be the president who ends the world. Sure he is. You know I know not a lot are religious on here but I'm starting to wonder if the end times are near. Earthquakes, repeat hurricanes basically decimating a few countries so far, and two nutjobs: Trump and Kim Jong-Un to hit the nuclear war buttons. We have never had a nutty dangerous president like Trump to be matched against the crazies of other countries. As much as I despise Hillary and am neutral on Obama, they of course would not have us this close to nuke war. I disagree that people know the US can't nuke NK as you say. I think Trump would do it. Yes he's that irresponsible or whatever word you want to use. If one of Kim's bombs actually falls on land in Japan or Hawaii I believe Trump would blow NK off the map. The only thing that puzzles me is he hasn't ordered all US troops to get out of S. Korea in advance of possible bombings of the North which would force Kim to blow up South Korea and kill so many of our troops.

QUOTE (Quin @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 05:04 AM)

Why? They have threatened us. Now the USA is threatening back while mocking Kim calling him Rocket Man. I disagree with your premise.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 01:26 AM)
I disagree with the premise. The US doesn't look weak here IMO. In fact it looks insane and crazy. I picture Trump as telling the truth. When I heard it I thought he meant it. Also there was a murmur in the hall when he said it. We can disagree here but I think Trump means it. Yes he's crazy enough to be the president who ends the world. Sure he is. You know I know not a lot are religious on here but I'm starting to wonder if the end times are near. Earthquakes, repeat hurricanes basically decimating a few countries so far, and two nutjobs: Trump and Kim Jong-Un to hit the nuclear war buttons. We have never had a nutty dangerous president like Trump to be matched against the crazies of other countries. As much as I despise Hillary and am neutral on Obama, they of course would not have us this close to nuke war. I disagree that people know the US can't nuke NK as you say. I think Trump would do it. Yes he's that irresponsible or whatever word you want to use. If one of Kim's bombs actually falls on land in Japan or Hawaii I believe Trump would blow NK off the map. The only thing that puzzles me is he hasn't ordered all US troops to get out of S. Korea in advance of possible bombings of the North which would force Kim to blow up South Korea and kill so many of our troops.

Why? They have threatened us. Now the USA is threatening back while mocking Kim calling him Rocket Man. I disagree with your premise.

Because the entire NK propaganda machine is based around making it look like America wants to obliterate NK for trying to have it's own power.

So now Trump is doing exactly that. They don't have to edit s*** together, just roll the tape.

QUOTE (Quin @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 12:04 AM)

NK already has almost complete control of the media, they can just make things up they dont need real news.

In my opinion one of the biggest problems is that people tend to just write off NK/Kim as completely crazy and underestimate that their may be an actual end game for them. I think that their is an end game, NK knows that unification of Korea isnt on the table so they promote that in order to obscure what their real goal is, and that is to legitimize NK as a real power. NK knows the truth, their survival is tied to China. If something were to happen in China (revolution, etc) NK is done for. So I believe that they are attempting to create their own alliances with countries that are openly antagonistic to the US. While this may be a small list, NK knows that if they can supply nuclear weapons to their "allies" that it will create a military stalemate.

Thus NK is trying to show countries like Iran that if they work with NK and get nukes, they will be able to stand up to the US. So every time NK sends a missile and Trump makes an idle threat, it supports their end game which is to create an alliance of nuclear states opposed to the US etc. NK is getting everything it wants right now from Trump, they are getting him to threaten to wipe them off the planet, they are getting him to suggest he will renege on the Iran deal.

My guess is that NK leaders saw Trump is prone to bluffing his way through life and figured that they would test him. They called his bluff about the missile laucnhes and now the US has for the short term lost. If the US attacks NK, we lose. If the US does nothing, we lose. I do not know how any American can be happy with how this situation has turned out.

Olympics are about to be in SK, Kim is going to be the talk of the town.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 01:35 AM)
NK already has almost complete control of the media, they can just make things up they dont need real news.

In my opinion one of the biggest problems is that people tend to just write off NK/Kim as completely crazy and underestimate that their may be an actual end game for them. I think that their is an end game, NK knows that unification of Korea isnt on the table so they promote that in order to obscure what their real goal is, and that is to legitimize NK as a real power. NK knows the truth, their survival is tied to China. If something were to happen in China (revolution, etc) NK is done for. So I believe that they are attempting to create their own alliances with countries that are openly antagonistic to the US. While this may be a small list, NK knows that if they can supply nuclear weapons to their "allies" that it will create a military stalemate.

Thus NK is trying to show countries like Iran that if they work with NK and get nukes, they will be able to stand up to the US. So every time NK sends a missile and Trump makes an idle threat, it supports their end game which is to create an alliance of nuclear states opposed to the US etc. NK is getting everything it wants right now from Trump, they are getting him to threaten to wipe them off the planet, they are getting him to suggest he will renege on the Iran deal.

My guess is that NK leaders saw Trump is prone to bluffing his way through life and figured that they would test him. They called his bluff about the missile laucnhes and now the US has for the short term lost. If the US attacks NK, we lose. If the US does nothing, we lose. I do not know how any American can be happy with how this situation has turned out.

When I say easier, I mean literally easier. As in no effort will go into rolling that clip.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 12:26 AM)

Trump has a lot to lose in life. He is not going to do anything that will change the world order. As long as Trump does nothing, tomorrow he and his family wake up as rich people with great lives. There is no incentive for him to risk that. Calling Trump insane and crazy is lazy, the same way as it is to call Kim that. I may disagree with a lot of what Trump does, I may think he is not the smartest guy in many rooms, but whatever he is doing, he has an angle. And his angle is to make people think that he is maybe "crazy enough" to do it.

But at the end of the day, I think Trump knows war is extremely unpopular. Death is extremely unpopular. And in a digital age, the pictures of a nuclear holocaust are going to be unbelievably unpopular. Why do you think the countries that are immediately threatened by NK arent asking for intervention?

And if the US did nuke NK, what the hell are we going to do about cleaning up the Korean peninsula?

Not one country wants the US to do this, we are going to be pariahs with a lot of blood on our hands. Look at what Trump said about Iraq, etc, things like "We should have taken the oil". What is to be gained here for the US?

The answer is nothing.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 12:54 AM)
Maybe it's just me, but I think it's bad when the president of the United States threatens genocide.

Of course its bad.The US doesnt need to look "crazy", we are the biggest and baddest fighter in the room. Its the little guy who knows that they cant win that has to look crazy in an attempt to put fear into others.

That is what Greg seems to be missing. We dont need to threaten NK, they already know we can wipe them out. Threats only work if they can be acted on. Too many people die if the US nukes NK, its a global catastrophe and the US would suffer mightily as well.

QUOTE (Quin @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 05:33 AM)
Because the entire NK propaganda machine is based around making it look like America wants to obliterate NK for trying to have it's own power.

So now Trump is doing exactly that. They don't have to edit s*** together, just roll the tape.

I can see your point.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 05:35 AM)

This all makes sense. Not a bad post IMO.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 05:52 AM)
Trump has a lot to lose in life. He is not going to do anything that will change the world order. As long as Trump does nothing, tomorrow he and his family wake up as rich people with great lives. There is no incentive for him to risk that. Calling Trump insane and crazy is lazy, the same way as it is to call Kim that. I may disagree with a lot of what Trump does, I may think he is not the smartest guy in many rooms, but whatever he is doing, he has an angle. And his angle is to make people think that he is maybe "crazy enough" to do it.

But at the end of the day, I think Trump knows war is extremely unpopular. Death is extremely unpopular. And in a digital age, the pictures of a nuclear holocaust are going to be unbelievably unpopular. Why do you think the countries that are immediately threatened by NK arent asking for intervention?

And if the US did nuke NK, what the hell are we going to do about cleaning up the Korean peninsula?

Not one country wants the US to do this, we are going to be pariahs with a lot of blood on our hands. Look at what Trump said about Iraq, etc, things like "We should have taken the oil". What is to be gained here for the US?

The answer is nothing.

I hope you are right cause he has me thinking he's an old guy who is willing to drop nukes. Remember, all it will take is an accident. Kim's bombs have been flying over land right en route to falling in the sea. If he hits Japan or Guam, Trump IMO will start thermonuclear war. Hope you are right that he won't.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 05:54 AM)
Maybe it's just me, but I think it's bad when the president of the United States threatens genocide.

Some people would argue that it's nice to see us fight back words against Kim's words. Kim has threatened to bomb us. That's not good either.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 01:13 AM)
I hope you are right cause he has me thinking he's an old guy who is willing to drop nukes. Remember, all it will take is an accident. Kim's bombs have been flying over land right en route to falling in the sea. If he hits Japan or Guam, Trump IMO will start thermonuclear war. Hope you are right that he won't.

Some people would argue that it's nice to see us fight back words against Kim's words. Kim has threatened to bomb us. That's not good either.

If NK hits a country with a weapon, well cross that bridge when we get there. But for all we know that could be the precipice for deescalation because at that point Kim will know an actual response has to happen.

It really shouldnt be about what some people think. This isnt High School, we dont have to prove that we can beat someone up. Words are meaningless.

Greg, the words you think were nice to fight back with was a threat of genocide. A threat to kill 25 million people.

The President of the United States went to the United Nations for the first time and threatened to wipe out an entire country. Think about that next time before you praise someone for 'talking tough'

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 12:54 AM)

When was the last time a leader of a country gave a speech at the UN and threaten to destroy another country?

Seems like something that never happens.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 08:21 AM)
Probably Ghaddafi or some other dictator like that.

But the coverage of Trump's threat to genocide an entire nation of people is phrased with "tough words" and "strong message."

I think you're going a little overboard here. Yes, Trump is more direct and threatening about it, but it's not like that hasn't been said before by a US President. Obama used those very words (edit: albeit not in front of the UN assembly), and I think dating back to Clinton the threat of military force has always been put out there.

That said, this picture summed up the whole speech to me.

447D8F0600000578-0-image-a-32_1505879420

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)
I think you're going a little overboard here. Yes, Trump is more direct and threatening about it, but it's not like that hasn't been said before by a US President. Obama used those very words (edit: albeit not in front of the UN assembly), and I think dating back to Clinton the threat of military force has always been put out there.

Acknowledging the possibility and existence of military force and threatening to "totally destroy" a country of 25 million people, in addition to whatever damage SK and Japan would face plus the humanitarian crisis it'd kick off as refugees flooded into SK and China, is different from what any past President has said. Don't buy into the bulls*** quote-mining that the WH is engaging in on what Obama said. The rest of the quote and the context of the speech as well as Trump's previous statements makes it clearly different.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix...y-even-for-him/

After the speech, the White House seemed to try to downplay the novelty of Trump's threat, comparing it to what then-President Obama said last year. "We could, obviously, destroy North Korea with our arsenals," Obama said.

But in context, Obama was actually making the case against that, adding: "But aside from the humanitarian costs of that, they are right next door to our vital ally, Republic of Korea." Obama also wasn't making a threat so much as registering a statement of fact. Trump was saying the United States might "have no choice" but to do what Obama was merely saying the U.S. was capable of.

And f*** John Kelly and his "shamed head hanging." He's 100% complicit in this.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)

There is a couple shots of Nikki Haley also where you can see her thinking "oh s*** more fires to put out"

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 20, 2017 -> 09:26 AM)
Acknowledging the possibility and existence of military force and threatening to "totally destroy" a country of 25 million people, in addition to whatever damage SK and Japan would face plus the humanitarian crisis it'd kick off as refugees flooded into SK and China, is different from what any past President has said. Don't buy into the bulls*** quote-mining that the WH is engaging in on what Obama said. The rest of the quote and the context of the speech as well as Trump's previous statements makes it clearly different.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix...y-even-for-him/

And f*** John Kelly and his "shamed head hanging." He's 100% complicit in this.

Yeah, yeah, #itsdifferent.