Attendance is Actually up 8.1%

caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2017 -> 03:25 PM)
Outside of their run in the 90's the Indians are one of the worst drawing teams in baseball history. There was about a ten year outlier period, but outside of that, this is closer to historical norms.

Yes, but previous history was at perhaps the worst ballpark in MLB history.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

23. AZ 22,648 per game (first place)

24. MIN 22,831 per game (first place, newer stadium)

25. CLE 21,749 per game (World Series last year)

26. CIN 21,681 per game (rebuilding)

27. MIA 21,347 per game (new stadium...but how to explain what they are doing, holding pattern for team sale)

28. CHW 21,343 per game (rebuilding)

12. ATL 30,109 in brand new stadium

White Sox should easily get up to 25th with these three Boston games, especially Monday and Tuesday's.

Edited by caulfield12

There won't be a huge crowd tomorrow. A lot of tickets available. Most of the top 15 rows in the upper deck are unsold, there are about 4 or 5 sections down each line virtually unsold. Tuesday is even more available. Their average may go down.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 28, 2017 -> 06:36 PM)
There won't be a huge crowd tomorrow. A lot of tickets available. Most of the top 15 rows in the upper deck are unsold, there are about 4 or 5 sections down each line virtually unsold. Tuesday is even more available. Their average may go down.

If the weather holds up and Sale v. Quintana holds up, Mon/Tues walk up will be pretty strong.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ May 28, 2017 -> 07:24 PM)
If the weather holds up and Sale v. Quintana holds up, Mon/Tues walk up will be pretty strong.

They might have a decent walk up, but walk ups aren't all that large anymore, and I really wonder what kind of draw Sale is. Most of the time when they had th k zone $20 lower deck tickets and a free shirt when Sale pitched $15 on Sundays, it was nowhere near sold out, and that was just a few sections.

It appears the Sox draw well on Saturdays and Sundays and seem to be in the teens during the week.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 19, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
To get a good seat at a baseball game, you have to pay a ransom. Just to eat a little bit and drink a little bit you have to pay a fortune. A lot of people find out they don't need it. Some diehards still want to go watch baseball, but if the Sox finish last this year and the next two years and are out of it in May all 3 years, I'd expect the franchise may not survive that.

Also the product is very boring thanks to the umps who allow snail's paced play. Also the chess games after the sixth inning and the shifts. Baseball is very boring right now. Many teams have horrible hitters, the White Sox right at the top of the list. I would assume the rules of the game will change drastically, but it may take several years for the older traditionalists to pass on. I don't know what it will take for the umps to try to help the game. THey are playing a little game in which they do what they want to do and there's not much that can be done to get them to care about the game of baseball and speed up the pace of play.

Greg, this is just not true. I need you to tell me if this is too expensive: Me and 3 buddies just bought tickets to see Sale vs Quintana on Tuesday. We are sitting in row 15 in the OF behind the bullpen. Are these considered good seats? They were $18 a piece. It was cost the 4 of us $20 to park the car on Tuesday night. I will probably spend $60-$70 on food and beer because I feel like it but it doesn't mean I have to. Would you do this?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 29, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
Greg, this is just not true. I need you to tell me if this is too expensive: Me and 3 buddies just bought tickets to see Sale vs Quintana on Tuesday. We are sitting in row 15 in the OF behind the bullpen. Are these considered good seats? They were $18 a piece. It was cost the 4 of us $20 to park the car on Tuesday night. I will probably spend $60-$70 on food and beer because I feel like it but it doesn't mean I have to. Would you do this?

$83? With most of that going to food. Scary times. Believe me.

21,636 average after today...moved up to 27th.

27,148 was the Memorial Day crowd. Now within 100 per game of CLE and CINCY. Average in 2016 for whole year was 21,828....but we still have prime drawing months with Red Sox, not to mention June and July to raise the average numbers.

26th last year, but we will be 25th by end of homestand with 75% of home schedule remaining.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 31, 2017 -> 12:06 AM)
Almost 22,000, a bit disappointing for Sale vs. Q, but a dreaded Tuesday night game.

23. MIN 23,101

24. ARI 22,648

25. CIN 21,681

26. CHW 21,646

27. CLE 21,394

28. MIA 20,970

Only 22K? It seemed like much more tonight. The crowd was lively, especially during Lake Central High School's "camera light" performance. lol.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 31, 2017 -> 12:06 AM)
Almost 22,000, a bit disappointing for Sale vs. Q, but a dreaded Tuesday night game.

23. MIN 23,101

24. ARI 22,648

25. CIN 21,681

26. CHW 21,646

27. CLE 21,394

28. MIA 20,970

What are these numbers you are posting with no reference? It seems like it might be attendance ranks for the night, but there aren't that many games, so ???

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 31, 2017 -> 12:58 AM)
What are these numbers you are posting with no reference? It seems like it might be attendance ranks for the night, but there aren't that many games, so ???

21,852 was tonight's attendance. I think he is showing the season's average, which happens to be very close to the "almost 22,000" for tonight's game he was referencing.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ May 31, 2017 -> 12:20 AM)
21,852 was tonight's attendance. I think he is showing the season's average, which happens to be very close to the "almost 22,000" for tonight's game he was referencing.

Exactly...total attendance means nothing without reference points.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 31, 2017 -> 05:06 AM)

23. MIN 23,101

24. ARI 22,648

25. CIN 21,681

26. CHW 21,646

27. CLE 21,394

28. MIA 20,970

Averaging in the low 20s is kind of lousy isn't it? Is it the price of a ticket, parking, concessions or the slow pace of baseball in 2017?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 10:11 PM)
Averaging in the low 20s is kind of lousy isn't it? Is it the price of a ticket, parking, concessions or the slow pace of baseball in 2017?

Honestly, parking is a real kick in the dick. $20 to park, when the 2 tickets I buy cost less than that.

Only 11 of the other 29 teams charge $20 or more for parking. A lot of teams are $15 or under, a few are under $10 to park, and a couple are free parking.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 09:11 PM)

Sox attendance has been going down every season from the previous one since the end of the 2006 season, except for two years if I remember correctly.

Shouldn't be a surprise given the state of the team on the field for the past decade.

Also I thought I read somewhere about the parking and that what is charged is not the decision of the Sox nor do they get a share of the parking money generated.

I could be wrong about that, perhaps someone can clarify.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 05:43 AM)
Sox attendance has been going down every season from the previous one since the end of the 2006 season, except for two years if I remember correctly.

Shouldn't be a surprise given the state of the team on the field for the past decade.

Also I thought I read somewhere about the parking and that what is charged is not the decision of the Sox nor do they get a share of the parking money generated.

Sox attendance keeps going down, hmmm. I think baseball has a pace problem. Unless you are a total fanatic like most of us here, I just don't think you care about seeing batters re-do the velcro on their gloves after every pitch and all the stalling that's done in the game. It's very slow paced and these annoying defensive shifts are very un-fan friendly. Also the fact that once you hit the sixth inning you start the lefty/righty matchup game ... there are many reasons baseball blows right now and why the average fan would rather do something else on a summer evening.

p.s. It's also very insulting as a fan of the home team when a player, faced with an extreme shift, makes NO attempt to just plop a bunt down or point his body in the direction of the green grass to break the shift. It seems very selfish/ridiculous that a lefty hitter would hit to the right side of the diamond when it would be physically impossible to make an out by dribbling something to the left side where there is ONE lonely fielder standing out by shortstop.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 10:43 PM)

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/201...-deal-with-uber

From everything I've ever read, the Sox set the parking rates and get 100% of the revenues.

22. AZ 23,477

23. Minn 23,078

24. Pitt 23,012

25. Cincy 22,451

26. Cleveland 22,030

27. CHW 21,019

28. Miami 20,456

29. Oakland 17,573

30. TB 14,408

With the Buehrle retirement game next Sat and Mon-Thurs home series against the Yankees, they will be doing just fine for 33 games, especially compared to some of the most dire and cataclysmic predictions. Then another weekend series with the Rangers.

2016 average=21,828 (26)

2015 average=21,947 (26)

2014 average=20,896 (28)

2013 average=22,105 (24)

2012 average =24,271 (24)

I will conservatively estimate they average 25,000 for those next ten home games, 22,125 would be the new season average....with the following home games remaining.

SEA (3) weekend

LAD (2)

Cubs (2)

Cleve (3)

Toronto, Houston, KC

Minnesota, Detroit

TB, Cleve

San Francisco, Royals, LAA

44 Games

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 11:16 PM)
22. AZ 23,477

23. Minn 23,078

24. Pitt 23,012

25. Cincy 22,451

26. Cleveland 22,030

27. CHW 21,019

28. Miami 20,456

29. Oakland 17,573

30. TB 14,408

With the Buehrle retirement game next Sat and Mon-Thurs home series against the Yankees, they will be doing just fine for 33 games

Lol - no they won't be doing "just fine". Quite the contrary! As long as this large market team's arrendance figures continue to be nestled in with those of the likes of Oakland, Tampa Bay, Miami, and Cleveland, there will be nothing "fine" about it.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 09:26 AM)
Lol - no they won't be doing "just fine". Quite the contrary! As long as this large market team's arrendance figures continue to be nestled in with those of the likes of Oakland, Tampa Bay, Miami, and Cleveland, there will be nothing "fine" about it.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193408/...mlb-since-2006/

It's a drop in the bucket. The favorable lease deal, the fact that ticket revenues have gone from 38.2 to 29.54% of team revenues in less than a decade. If the White Sox were averaging 25,000 per game, they'd have generated an extra $3.5 million or so.

But that's offset by the lower payroll...which will eventually be sliced down to virtually nothing. Note it didn't stop them from spending on LUIS Robert, for example, or Derek Holland, for that matter. The vaunted St. Louis Cardinals couldn't compete with the Sox, lost Heyward to the Cubs, Price to Boston...we're still a large market team in the minds of players and agents. Compare their attendance to ours and explain what happened in all those aforementioned situations.

The average MLB team generates revenues around $314 million per club, with a lot of that now related to merchandising, parking, luxury suites, shared revenue, local and national tv contracts, MLB Advanced Media/MLB TV, etc.

That's over $118 million more than the average NBA franchise, a number which are unprofitable. Only 2-3 MLB teams fell into that level of red ink in recent years. And when's the last time a franchise moved in MLB?

Edited by caulfield12