Attendance is Actually up 8.1%

caulfield12

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly baseball was not something people discussed in Chicago from 2010-2014. I thought the spotlight of the cubs would help sox in the idea of more people thinking going to a baseball game would be fun.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 16, 2017 -> 11:36 AM)
I will go to Sox games just to see Moncada play.

And the hope is if the team manages to trade Quintana for real pieces, you'll have more and more reason to go to games.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 16, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
I will go because I love watching the game of baseball.

Cheap tickets, easy commute to get there (free parking if you know where to go), good times with friends and family. I can't wait until it is consistently warm out (hopefully this weather is here to stay).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 16, 2017 -> 11:06 AM)
I do know at least one Cub fan who has been going to Sox games this year because he can't afford to go to Cubs games anymore.

He should check Stubhub on a weeknight. Very easy to get into Wrigley for $15-20.

QUOTE (soxfan18 @ May 16, 2017 -> 12:15 PM)
He should check Stubhub on a weeknight. Very easy to get into Wrigley for $15-20.

Even if I was interested in the cubz, I wouldn't waste time driving back and forth to the North side and shuttling back and forth to my car if you gave me a ticket. It is a cluster ph_k starting in traffic and then once you get there. Only worth the bother for the die hards.

Took a group of about 10 people from work to the game last Friday for the groupon patio party deal. As the only real Sox fan in the group, I was the organizer. Some had never been to a Sox game before, and none of them had done the pre-game patio party before. We are already discussing going again later this summer. You'd be shocked at how many couldn't believe that going to a MLB baseball game anywhere other than Wrigley could actually be fun.

Just doing my part to help the Sox raise attendance.

Edited by SoxFan2003

QUOTE (SoxFan2003 @ May 16, 2017 -> 03:08 PM)
Took a group of about 10 people from work to the game last Friday for the groupon patio party deal. As the only real Sox fan in the group, I was the organizer. Some had never been to a Sox game before, and none of them had done the pre-game patio party before. We are already discussing going again later this summer. You'd be shocked at how many couldn't believe that going to a MLB baseball game anywhere other than Wrigley could actually be fun.

Just doing my part to help the Sox raise attendance.

I think a lot of it has to do with the removal of the expectation of winning. The focus for the team is on developing a good culture, playing hard, developing into the best player you can be, learning from your mistakes and having fun doing so. That "vibe" has made its way to the crowd. I noticed a big difference in the atmosphere last Friday too. The last few times I've been to games, the fans (along with the players) have almost been tense--pressing. The focus was on the mistakes the team was making because they were sold as a team who was all in and going for it. Now the environment is more positive and more forgiving as fans encourage the team to play better--we're maybe even a little surprised when they win--it's an added bonus instead of a temporary exhale before getting back to the frustration mindset.

We know there is money coming off the books at the end of the year, we know there's a historically large FA class coming up, we know there's big promise in the system, we know we have a few guys performing now who we NEVER thought would be in the mix, we know the weather is getting nice and tickets are cheap--when all that comes together, you get a sense of satisfaction. I thought the rebuild would be brutal, but it's actually a great time to be a Sox fan and consume baseball at the park. And for new fans, it's a great time to get in on the ground level of what could be an exciting time in the franchise's history.

QUOTE (FT35 @ May 18, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)
I think a lot of it has to do with the removal of the expectation of winning. The focus for the team is on developing a good culture, playing hard, developing into the best player you can be, learning from your mistakes and having fun doing so. That "vibe" has made its way to the crowd. I noticed a big difference in the atmosphere last Friday too. The last few times I've been to games, the fans (along with the players) have almost been tense--pressing. The focus was on the mistakes the team was making because they were sold as a team who was all in and going for it. Now the environment is more positive and more forgiving as fans encourage the team to play better--we're maybe even a little surprised when they win--it's an added bonus instead of a temporary exhale before getting back to the frustration mindset.

We know there is money coming off the books at the end of the year, we know there's a historically large FA class coming up, we know there's big promise in the system, we know we have a few guys performing now who we NEVER thought would be in the mix, we know the weather is getting nice and tickets are cheap--when all that comes together, you get a sense of satisfaction. I thought the rebuild would be brutal, but it's actually a great time to be a Sox fan and consume baseball at the park. And for new fans, it's a great time to get in on the ground level of what could be an exciting time in the franchise's history.

Excellent post FT.

QUOTE (FT35 @ May 18, 2017 -> 02:33 PM)

Man, I'd hire you for the P.R. department right now. You spin it to where people would really want to go to a game when the product on the field is horses***. I'm not being sarcastic. Nice job.

You did say "I thought the rebuild would be brutal." Hey, give it some time. This team by all accounts is really really lousy and is about ready to start losing at the same clip as of a year ago. If they don't and somehow sniff .500 Renteria should be manager of the year in the AL.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2017 -> 09:33 PM)
We passed the Indians for 27th in the last couple of days...

Weird...you'd think the reigning AL champs would draw a nice crowd. I think the Sox drew an average of 36,000 something in 2006.

QUOTE (Scoots @ May 19, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
Weird...you'd think the reigning AL champs would draw a nice crowd. I think the Sox drew an average of 36,000 something in 2006.

Have something to do with another Cleveland team going far into the playoffs and possibly weather?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 19, 2017 -> 11:48 AM)
Have something to do with another Cleveland team going far into the playoffs and possibly weather?

This is a team that had some 500 + game sellout streak, then they sucked and even though they have had several good teams since, never recovered attendance-wise.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 19, 2017 -> 11:07 AM)
This is a team that had some 500 + game sellout streak, then they sucked and even though they have had several good teams since, never recovered attendance-wise.

It IS very odd. Although like someone else said...it's tough to compete with a LeBron-led NBA playoff championship-caliber product this time of year. The years before LeBron came back were tough teams to sell tickets for, but the recent years the Indians started to get good again--LeBron was somewhat of a factor. Be interesting to see their attendance numbers after the all-star break when LeBron is rocking his tribe hat in a luxury suite and the the MLB post-season push comes back.

The Indians had two full teardowns, after 2001. That was defensible.

But they never recovered from the loss to the Red Sox in 2007, and then watching that team get torn apart when most of them were still in their primes. People absolutely hate that ownership group. And then their homegrown superstar saw his career go off the rails, in Grady Sizemore. Sabathia, Victor Martinez and Cliff Lee were dealt. Then the 2008-09 recession hit Cleveland especially hard.

QUOTE (FT35 @ May 19, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
It IS very odd. Although like someone else said...it's tough to compete with a LeBron-led NBA playoff championship-caliber product this time of year. The years before LeBron came back were tough teams to sell tickets for, but the recent years the Indians started to get good again--LeBron was somewhat of a factor. Be interesting to see their attendance numbers after the all-star break when LeBron is rocking his tribe hat in a luxury suite and the the MLB post-season push comes back.

In 2013 they won 92 games and made the WC. Lebron was in Miami. The Indians drew more than 100,000 less than the White Sox lowest total this century, and every couple of months we read on this site how the White Sox have to move.

It is the risk of getting very bad. The fans find something else to do, and they don't come back.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 19, 2017 -> 07:45 PM)
In 2013 they won 92 games and made the WC. Lebron was in Miami. The Indians drew more than 100,000 less than the White Sox lowest total this century, and every couple of months we read on this site how the White Sox have to move.

It is the risk of getting very bad. The fans find something else to do, and they don't come back.

To get a good seat at a baseball game, you have to pay a ransom. Just to eat a little bit and drink a little bit you have to pay a fortune. A lot of people find out they don't need it. Some diehards still want to go watch baseball, but if the Sox finish last this year and the next two years and are out of it in May all 3 years, I'd expect the franchise may not survive that.

Also the product is very boring thanks to the umps who allow snail's paced play. Also the chess games after the sixth inning and the shifts. Baseball is very boring right now. Many teams have horrible hitters, the White Sox right at the top of the list. I would assume the rules of the game will change drastically, but it may take several years for the older traditionalists to pass on. I don't know what it will take for the umps to try to help the game. THey are playing a little game in which they do what they want to do and there's not much that can be done to get them to care about the game of baseball and speed up the pace of play.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 19, 2017 -> 12:45 PM)

Yeah you're right...that 2013 Cavs team was NOT good either. It's too bad they lost that connection with the team--you'd have a hard time keeping me away if I lived in Cleveland...Lindor is exciting and that pitching......

You know what they need is Major League 4 to come out...Charlie Sheen could still lead a team to the series with that heat...I'm sure of it.

QUOTE (Scoots @ May 19, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
Outside of their run in the 90's the Indians are one of the worst drawing teams in baseball history. There was about a ten year outlier period, but outside of that, this is closer to historical norms.