Attendance is Actually up 8.1%

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)
https://www.statista.com/statistics/193408/...mlb-since-2006/

It's a drop in the bucket. The favorable lease deal, the fact that ticket revenues have gone from 38.2 to 29.54% of team revenues in less than a decade. If the White Sox were averaging 25,000 per game, they'd have generated an extra $3.5 million or so.

But that's offset by the lower payroll...which will eventually be sliced down to virtually nothing. Note it didn't stop them from spending on LUIS Robert, for example, or Derek Holland, for that matter. The vaunted St. Louis Cardinals couldn't compete with the Sox, lost Heyward to the Cubs, Price to Boston...we're still a large market team in the minds of players and agents. Compare their attendance to ours and explain what happened in all those aforementioned situations.

The average MLB team generates revenues around $314 million per club, with a lot of that now related to merchandising, parking, luxury suites, shared revenue, local and national tv contracts, MLB Advanced Media/MLB TV, etc.

That's over $118 million more than the average NBA franchise, a number which are unprofitable. Only 2-3 MLB teams fell into that level of red ink in recent years. And when's the last time a franchise moved in MLB?

Agreed. Good post. Attendance simply isn't the driving factor that it once was. Not saying it's not important but it is no longer 'life or death' for a franchise.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now up 16% through 29 home dates (I assumed 35,000 for Buehrle)

2017 632,235 total, 21,801 average

2016 546,600 total, 18,848 average

29th game last year on Jun 6, this year on June 24...we were in first place all last May until the final day of the month

22. AZ 23,918

23. MN 23,804

24. Pitt 23,631

25. Cincy 23,122

26. CLE 22,600

27. CHW 21,801

28. Miami 20,821

Chicago the oldest stadium of all those teams, closest is Jacobs/Progressive in CLE

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 24, 2017 -> 05:28 AM)
Now up 16% through 29 home dates (I assumed 35,000 for Buehrle)

2017 632,235 total, 21,801 average

2016 546,600 total, 18,848 average

29th game last year on Jun 6, this year on June 24...we were in first place all last May until the final day of the month

22. AZ 23,918

23. MN 23,804

24. Pitt 23,631

25. Cincy 23,122

26. CLE 22,600

27. CHW 21,801

28. Miami 20,821

Chicago the oldest stadium of all those teams, closest is Jacobs/Progressive in CLE

I bet the 35,000 assumption for today's game is low. The stadium is going to be packed, I'd guess standing room only.

Can't blame the fans for not supporting the team this year during the rebuild...

Attendance now up 17% through 29 home dates.

638,942 (22,032 per game) 2017

546,600 (18,848 per game) 2016

+3184 per game compared to this point last year with a first place club much of that timeframe

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2017 -> 08:43 PM)
Can't blame the fans for not supporting the team this year during the rebuild...

The ball club's continued pitiful attendance has nothing to do with a rebuild and everything to do with a pitiful string of fielding a non-winning team year in and year out.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 03:16 AM)
The ball club's continued pitiful attendance has nothing to do with a rebuild and everything to do with a pitiful string of fielding a non-winning team year in and year out.

It's pretty expensive (if you want a decent seat lower level) to go to a game. And with this team the past few years, you never know if you are going to get a ridiculous stinker like the Buehrle game or a game when they get shut out. Good thing we won it all in 05 cause without that we'd definitely be considered one of the worst franchises in sports.

This series has been a terrible disappointment attendance-wise.

Middle of the summer, Judge the biggest story in the game, Yankees near first place...

17,873 average.

I thought for sure they would be at 22,500-25,000 per game.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 25, 2017 -> 11:02 PM)
It's pretty expensive (if you want a decent seat lower level) to go to a game. And with this team the past few years, you never know if you are going to get a ridiculous stinker like the Buehrle game or a game when they get shut out. Good thing we won it all in 05 cause without that we'd definitely be considered one of the worst franchises in sports.

It's really not very expensive. I've told you this every single time you post something like this. You never respond though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
It's really not very expensive. I've told you this every single time you post something like this. You never respond though.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Germans?

Forget it, he's rolling.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 04:56 PM)

Can you get a good seat on the lower level for under 40 bucks?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 12:14 PM)
Can you get a good seat on the lower level for under 40 bucks?

90% of the time they aren't checking tickets, whether it be at the entrance to the 100 level or at the seats themselves. Just buy a $7 ticket and sit wherever, this isn't hard.

Should be a bit of a better crowd tonight with the shirts - the $7s are actually all gone and the $20s are getting close.

I was at the game yesterday. It looked like they had more than the announced crowd of 22,000. With the nice shirt giveaway I thought they would have a bigger crowd. The Yankees series didn't draw that well and this Texas series has averaged 20,000. Last year the White Sox drew 1.7 million. I wouldn't be surprised to see the attendance below 1.5 million this year. a shameful number for a franchise in a big market.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 07:31 AM)
I was at the game yesterday. It looked like they had more than the announced crowd of 22,000. With the nice shirt giveaway I thought they would have a bigger crowd. The Yankees series didn't draw that well and this Texas series has averaged 20,000. Last year the White Sox drew 1.7 million. I wouldn't be surprised to see the attendance below 1.5 million this year. a shameful number for a franchise in a big market.

Attendance is no longer the "be all-end all" for a franchise. Trust me, the Sox are in excellent financial shape regardless of if they draw 1.5 million or 1.7 million or 1.9 million. MLB teams are making money hand over foot from all the other income driven lines of operation both nationally and internationally.

Plus you have the clause in the stadium deal which in a bizarre sort of way actually rewards the Sox (poor choice of words I know) for NOT having a big attendance because then they don't have to pay as much for stadium upkeep / rent as I recall.

I'm sure the Sox would rather draw well since that means more income from parking / concessions and the like but if they don't, financially they are fine.

Given they are on their way to their 8th losing season in 11 years, what did you honestly expect?

Edited by Lip Man 1

One reason for low road attendance....9/10 game per year times two are in Minnesota and Cleveland. 1/4th of their road schedule is two of the bottom dwellers in attendance, and KC is already down quite a bit from last year. So 3/8th's of schedule, compared to other divisions in baseball that only have 1-2 poorly attended teams grouped together.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)
Attendance is no longer the "be all-end all" for a franchise. Trust me, the Sox are in excellent financial shape regardless of if they draw 1.5 million or 1.7 million or 1.9 million. MLB teams are making money hand over foot from all the other income driven lines of operation both nationally and internationally.

Plus you have the clause in the stadium deal which in a bizarre sort of way actually rewards the Sox (poor choice of words I know) for NOT having a big attendance because then they don't have to pay as much for stadium upkeep / rent as I recall.

I'm sure the Sox would rather draw well since that means more income from parking / concessions and the like but if they don't, financially they are fine.

Given they are on their way to their 8th losing season in 11 years, what did you honestly expect?

Disagree on attendance not having that much of an impact, the Cubs for example are going to outdraw us by about 1,500,000, at an average price of a seat at around a conservative 40 bucks that comes out to 61,000,000 dollars, that comes out to having enough money to sign 3 or 4 pretty good free agents.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 01:02 PM)
One reason for low road attendance....9/10 game per year times two are in Minnesota and Cleveland. 1/4th of their road schedule is two of the bottom dwellers in attendance, and KC is already down quite a bit from last year. So 3/8th's of schedule, compared to other divisions in baseball that only have 1-2 poorly attended teams grouped together.

But the other teams have the same issue ands they go to Chicago which is rhe worst attendance in the division

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
Disagree on attendance not having that much of an impact, the Cubs for example are going to outdraw us by about 1,500,000, at an average price of a seat at around a conservative 40 bucks that comes out to 61,000,000 dollars, that comes out to having enough money to sign 3 or 4 pretty good free agents.

Sure, but they're not going to need to spend until after 2018 at the earliest.

That money will be there when they need it, because they have to look pretty similar to the 2014/15 Cubs heading into the new tv contract negotiations. They look like a .500 club at best, with the farm system stalled, then is the time that $60 million becomes quite critical.

Keep in mind, we're likely competing with CLE and Minnesota then, NOT the Cubs. That's a much lower bar than the Cubs or even the Cards, and we still beat St. Louis for Robert.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 04:12 PM)
But the other teams have the same issue ands they go to Chicago which is rhe worst attendance in the division

Well, Cleveland was in the World Series, so there's that...KC the two previous, Detroit has a fun offense and Minnesota has Dozier, Sano, Mauer (big name) and Buxton.

Throw all that out, lol.

Road attendance last four years

CWS 27 24 24 24 (slide for rebuilding franchise)

Average=24.75

KC 23 27 30 30 (two exciting WS teams among worst draws, even after winning only #27)

Average=27.5

Minn 24 29 19 29

Average=25.25

CLE 25 30 21 19 (draw for second place WS team with exciting young roster not good either)

Average=23.75

DET 30 22 16 (last good team-'15) 21

Average=22.25

Moncada will fix it, and Robert. Burger Beer and Fry, haha.

Flyover territory isn't relevant, except Cubs and Cards?

Edited by caulfield12