Anthony Swarzak to Brewers; Sox receive Ryan Cordell

username

They get an MLB ready bat to stick in the order when he is healthy/Melky gets dealt. Good get for 2 months of a guy having a career year. Can't say I expected that.

Holding onto Swarzak would have been pointless. I would have no problem with them re-signing him, even if it has to be multiple years.

Edited by soxfan2014

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 08:18 AM)
Cordell projects to be a quality defensive player, with plus speed, solid range and arm. It's not easy to find a player that can play a solid center field that also has some potential with the bat.

He's a little old for a traditional prospect, but that does not mean he cannot become a useful role player for the White Sox moving forward.

I've seen you use the phrase "useful role player" several times now when defending certain pieces coming back. And if that's the case here with Cordell, I think it's a horrible trade. You don't worry about finding potential role players in the first year of a rebuild. You try to find guys who can potentially be everyday guys, even if the odds are low.

I personally think this guy has a much bigger ceiling than some posters are suggesting. The lack of a standout tool is overrated when all of his tools are above average with the exception of his hit tool perhaps (although it sounds like he has very good bat speed). I really think people simply look at his age and current prospect ranking and say this guy is AAAA material without looking at the scouting grades and his minor league track record.

I'm not going to say this guy will definitely work out, because prospects fail more often than not, but I'm going to assume our front office really likes Cordell and thinks he has a chance to be an everyday player.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 08:43 AM)
I've seen you use the phrase "useful role player" several times now when defending certain pieces coming back. And if that's the case here with Cordell, I think it's a horrible trade. You don't worry about finding potential role players in the first year of a rebuild. You try to find guys who can potentially be everyday guys, even if the odds are low.

I personally think this guy has a much bigger ceiling than some posters are suggesting. The lack of a standout tool is overrated when all of his tools are above average with the exception of his hit tool perhaps (although it sounds like he has very good bat speed). I really think people simply look at his age and current prospect ranking and say this guy is AAAA material without looking at the scouting grades and his minor league track record.

I'm not going to say this guy will definitely work out, because prospects fail more often than not, but I'm going to assume our front office really likes Cordell and thinks he has a chance to be an everyday player.

He absolutely has a chance to end up being an everyday player, with the ceiling of a second division regular. In being realistic about the player, I think he is going to be best suited to a solid 4th outfielder role.

Playing good defense will help his case, as will some pop. It's worth rolling the dice on.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 06:50 AM)
He absolutely has a chance to end up being an everyday player, with the ceiling of a second division regular. In being realistic about the player, I think he is going to be best suited to a solid 4th outfielder role.

Playing good defense will help his case, as will some pop. It's worth rolling the dice on.

This bolded term...this basically means a regular on a lousy team, correct?

I saw it yesterday and didn't know what it meant.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 11:17 PM)
Jeff Passan

"How rebuilding is done: Sign guy in late January to minor league deal (Swarzak), turn him into legit prospect (Cordell). Bravo, White Sox."

Even national guys are on board with this move

Yep, still shocked that he had any value. He's basically performed WAY over his head, is a rental and is really more of a middle reliever than a set up guy or closer. Pretty amazing. Oh and he's 31.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 08:55 AM)
Yep, still shocked that he had any value. He's basically performed WAY over his head, is a rental and is really more of a middle reliever than a set up guy or closer. Pretty amazing. Oh and he's 31.

I literally said when they signed him: "they just need guys to eat inning at the MLB level and that's it. Minor league deal so it doesn't hurt." So yeah, I'll take this. Time to start looking at other relievers we can sign for cheap to help fill innings for next year.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 08:55 AM)

Yeah, that's why I find this hilarious. We're talking about Anthony Swarzak. 6 months ago he was lucky to even be playing baseball for money. You aren't going to parlay a few good months of relief pitching for a lousy team into a top prospect. People's expectations are so warped.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 08:58 AM)
I literally said when they signed him: "they just need guys to eat inning at the MLB level and that's it. Minor league deal so it doesn't hurt." So yeah, I'll take this. Time to start looking at other relievers we can sign for cheap to help fill innings for next year.

Its how you fill out a roster or get other pieces to move. Take a scrap heap middle reliever, make him look good for a few months, flip him to a team that thinks hes the missing piece.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 08:53 AM)

Generally is seen to mean a starting caliber player on a bottom half team in the standings. Not a bad player per se, but a contending team would likely have a better player start over them.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 08:53 AM)

At it again this morning, I see.

Honestly though, the fact that nothing official has come makes you think there may be a hitch. With Cordell's reported back issues, it makes some sense. But would seem to me the Sox would have explored that before agreeing to the trade?

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 11:19 PM)
Also I'm sure most realize Mahalanobis Comps are just for fun, but Cordell's comp is Aaron Rowand.

a comp outfield of

Aaron Rowand(Cordell)/Randy Winn(Engel)/Angel Pagan(Leury) sounds fun.

IF we got a pre-power surge Aaron Rowand here, I will be thrilled.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 07:40 AM)
At it again this morning, I see.

Honestly though, the fact that nothing official has come makes you think there may be a hitch. With Cordell's reported back issues, it makes some sense. But would seem to me the Sox would have explored that before agreeing to the trade?

That was just an honest question. I had never heard the term used before.

I don't know if there is a hitch, but one would think if the dude was on the DL for a month that they would have checked the medicals before this news got anywhere close to being leaked.

Hell, for all we know, it could be Swarzak's medicals.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)

I don't know if there is a hitch, but one would think if the dude was on the DL for a month that they would have checked the medicals before this news got anywhere close to being leaked.

Chicago White Sox‏Verified account @whitesox 53s53 seconds ago

More

The #WhiteSox have acquired minor-league outfielder Ryan Cordell from the Milwaukee Brewers in exchange for RHP Anthony Swarzak.

Looks like the deal is finalized^

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 08:02 AM)

More

The #WhiteSox have acquired minor-league outfielder Ryan Cordell from the Milwaukee Brewers in exchange for RHP Anthony Swarzak.

Rats.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 10:03 AM)
Rats.

Jim Callis‏Verified account

@jimcallisMLB

Following

More

Jim Callis Retweeted Carmen DeFalco

Hi, Carmen. Cordell is toolsy & versatile, has power & speed. Chance to be regular, could be VG 4th OF who has played some INF. @WhiteSox

Callis seems to think he is solid^

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 08:50 AM)

Reading this I see a pre-back injury Tyler Saladino. Nothing fancy, nothing loud, but a guy who will go out and give you a lower to middle tier starter or a super-sub guy who you can plug into a ton of different spots and situations to help your team out.

A lower rung guy does you absolutely no good as you literally have no where to play them now. It almost had to be a guy from AA or AAA, preferably AAA just because of where prospects are, and will be in the very near future.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)

My guess is that it wasn't the medicals as much as it was that the info got out earlier than the team wanted it. Heck in a deal like this it COULD have been the White Sox trying to see if anyone would top the offer for Swarzak last minute.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 10:02 AM)

More

Glad to see it finalized.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 10:05 AM)
Reading this I see a pre-back injury Tyler Saladino. Nothing fancy, nothing loud, but a guy who will go out and give you a lower to middle tier starter or a super-sub guy who you can plug into a ton of different spots and situations to help your team out.

A lower rung guy does you absolutely no good as you literally have no where to play them now. It almost had to be a guy from AA or AAA, preferably AAA just because of where prospects are, and will be in the very near future.

Not sure about Cordell's injury return timeline, but when/if the Sox can move Melky I see Cordell taking his spot immediately and getting regular mlb at bats

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 10:09 AM)
Not sure about Cordell's injury return timeline, but when/if the Sox can move Melky I see Cordell taking his spot immediately and getting regular mlb at bats

I have no doubt that he will be in Chicago as soon as he is healthy.