2017-2018 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 02:33 PM)
We were damn near league average last year with Barkley and Hoyer at QB for much of it.

And a significantly better receiving corps. Night and day difference. This receiving corps is just brutal. Said it when Glennon was in and will continue to say it again. Really sloppy start of the game and just an ugly game in general. Our inability to limit the big play on defense and/or create turnovers is just brutal. Lots of opportunities. Trubisky flashed but also showed that he is still a rookie. Game plan was awful and we still failed to throw down field. That said, Trubisky got some experience and can hopefully learn from it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 08:40 PM)
That game decided John fox’s fate

Any statement like this is so inaccurate. John Fox's fate will be decided by how Trubisky and the Bears do the final 6 weeks or so of the season. If they can finish strong and showing signs of life, he'll be back...if not, he's out.

What is the NFL rule for a defender coming back in (from out of bounds) and being the first to touch the ball? Harrison Smith (I believe) was out of bounds and then came in bounds to intercept Trubisky on that play? I know if that were a receiver doing that, it would be illegal (and not ruled a valid catch). Does that same rule apply to a defensive player? I've never seen it called so I presume not, but was curious.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 11:00 PM)
Any statement like this is so inaccurate. John Fox's fate will be decided by how Trubisky and the Bears do the final 6 weeks or so of the season. If they can finish strong and showing signs of life, he'll be back...if not, he's out.

No. This game sealed it. Too many ridiculous mistakes. He can’t win close games, he jusy creates them. Not every team looks like this I promise.

I'm not one to blame the officials for anything...but for the love of God...WTF was that crap tonight? That offsetting in the 4th when Cohen got the facemask sent me over the edge. The holding on the TD was s***. The offensive PI was s***. FU and your entire officiating crews Goodell. One other reason why I find the NFL product a POS...when a crappy officiating crew dictates the direction of a game. I'm still pissed.....

Lots of penalties on both teams, just an ugly and unique game. Pass rush was strong and our defenders continue to get their hands on a lot of balls (without getting the key turnover). I predict we'll have a stretch where we will finally force those turnovers in bunches. Offense is just really ugly. Trubisky looked relatively comfortable, but pre-snap issues occurred and Whitehair has just been bad. Hopefully he can turn things around and we can start to get a consistent olien out there so they can build up confidence.

Cohen is an odd player, he can be frustrating and I almost feel we are over-using him. On special teams he was brutal and we went to Jackson late (for a reason). Howard is such a better RB (albeit Cohen is clearly a valuable and explosive player). Things will look so much better if we could open the offense up a bit (and had some downfield threats). Last year we had Miller (who was a much more explosive player then this year (age and injuries are catching up to him), plus obviously, Jeffrey & Meredith are significantly better then anything we have at wideout this year.

One thing that I should point out is that our defense lost Timu and after that we had a lot more issues getting guys aligned. I don't necessarily view this as a huge inditement on the coaching staff since Timu was replacing multiple guys who were out and thus we really just didn't have anyone left with much experience to call the plays in the defensive huddle. Floyd had a sweet game (outside of that late "holding" penalty).

Guys, I can't wait anymore for the Bears to find a damn QB, because I don't think that Trubisky is going to be that guy. Usually, when a player has the "It Factor" you know right away. I didn't see it from Trubisky. There were no "wow" moments. Contrary to popular belief, I saw a guy who was overwhelmed at the NFL level.

I think everyone, all across the country has been doing sports wrong since the invention of the national TV contracts. Who says that "you root for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back" I now disagree. You root for the best talent in sports to do great things on the biggest stages, no matter what laundry they wear. Who says I have to "dislike/hate" Aaron Rodgers? he is one of the best QBs to ever play the game. If the guy doesn't wear the laundry from my home town, who cares? These are the best players. Obviously it is easier to follow hometown teams, because of cable packages, etc. BUT, I think there is no reason to go through the misery of watching your hometown team suck for years, and somehow if they win it all once that is supposed to make it better. "You can't do that, you are being a bandwagoner" Counterpoint: I enjoy the sport, and I also enjoy great players being great. I can't tie my allegiances to one team anymore. I root for the name on the back, not on the front now. In the age of National TV contracts, and sports packages there is no need to tie yourself to one team. Rooting for the name on the front of the jersey is an antiquated philosophy of sports fandom. Just enjoy Football/Baseball/Basketball/Hockey and learn to recognize and enjoy greatness when you see it. And if it comes from Green Bay, Minnesota, Detroit, New York, wherever.........who cares? Sports was meant to be entertainment, and I want to be entertained, not have increased stress in my life. Everyone needs to relax and have fun. Life is too short to wait for your hometown team to win. /end rant

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 11:43 PM)
Guys, I can't wait anymore for the Bears to find a damn QB, because I don't think that Trubisky is going to be that guy. Usually, when a player has the "It Factor" you know right away. I didn't see it from Trubisky. There were no "wow" moments. Contrary to popular belief, I saw a guy who was overwhelmed at the NFL level.

I think everyone, all across the country has been doing sports wrong since the invention of the national TV contracts. Who says that "you root for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back" I now disagree. You root for the best talent in sports to do great things on the biggest stages, no matter what laundry they wear. Who says I have to "dislike/hate" Aaron Rodgers? he is one of the best QBs to ever play the game. If the guy doesn't wear the laundry from my home town, who cares? These are the best players. Obviously it is easier to follow hometown teams, because of cable packages, etc. BUT, I think there is no reason to go through the misery of watching your hometown team suck for years, and somehow if they win it all once that is supposed to make it better. "You can't do that, you are being a bandwagoner" Counterpoint: I enjoy the sport, and I also enjoy great players being great. I can't tie my allegiances to one team anymore. I root for the name on the back, not on the front now. In the age of National TV contracts, and sports packages there is no need to tie yourself to one team. Rooting for the name on the front of the jersey is an antiquated philosophy of sports fandom. Just enjoy Football/Baseball/Basketball/Hockey and learn to recognize and enjoy greatness when you see it. And if it comes from Green Bay, Minnesota, Detroit, New York, wherever.........who cares? Sports was meant to be entertainment, and I want to be entertained, not have increased stress in my life. Everyone needs to relax and have fun. Life is too short to wait for your hometown team to win. /end rant

The irony of your rant is you talk about Aaron Rodgers, a guy who sat behind Brett Favre for years, who became an elite NFL QB. Trubisky has not played nearly as many snaps as most 2nd overall picks. Give him time.

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 11:58 PM)
The irony of your rant is you talk about Aaron Rodgers, a guy who sat behind Brett Favre for years, who became an elite NFL QB. Trubisky has not played nearly as many snaps as most 2nd overall picks. Give him time.

I just used him to make a point, because he plays for a "rival team", and this is the NFL thread. It was in no way meant to be anything more than that. If there are two pro athletes that Chicago sports fans "hate" more than anyone, they are Favre and Rodgers. We all waste our time "despising " our team getting beat by these guys instead of enjoying their greatness.

Edited by Jack Parkman

lol...seriously?!?! I think you're one of the few on the planet that doesn't see it. Not sure wtf game you were watching....but cool story Mrs. Glennon.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 10:43 PM)

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Oct 9, 2017 -> 11:43 PM)

Wow, I pretty much hate this entire post. Saying a third overall pick doesn’t have the “it” factor after one game is one of the hottest takes I have ever seen on this board. And if you don’t want to cheer for a specific team then maybe you should leave this White Sox message board and stick to ESPN highlights. You’ll see plenty of “greatness” there...

Edited by Chicago White Sox