2017-2018 NFL Thread

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 10:33 PM)
There are 11 games left. If he is compleely terrible, we should worry since typically bad players have a tendency to not ever turn out to be good, although Goff is even disputing that. Goff, Wentz, Newton, Ryan, Wilson, Prescott, Luck, Winston, Mariota, Stafford. All of them started, experienced bumps in the road, and some still are experiencing issues, but no one is expecting a championship this year. We all EXPECT Trubisky to struggle some. That's life as a rookie QB, with a few exceptions.

If Trubisky will be "ruined" by starting early then he was never going to be good anyway.

Trubisky is currently the best QB on the Bears roster and should be playing, just like any other position on the team.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 10:19 PM)
Oh stop...nobody is attacking you. You just threw out all this stuff about "not in his best interest"...and then claimed you'd like to see him start. Which is it? You also claim it makes no difference what his teammates think. Of course it does! Other teams have no problem doing this (starting rookies). Trubisky is ready...he's been ready. Fox is just a stubborn ass...but that's neither here nor there. It Glennon's teammates have zero confidence in him...you don't think that's an issue?

You claim my opinion is based on "not liking how Glennon is playing"....lol...ummmmm....I think 99% of Chicago feels the same way. It's based on the fact that Glennon absolutely stinks and they have to spoon feed him plays so he doesn't get killed back there and it completely limits what the offense can do. He's horrible! You put the best player out there. They've had how many months now to prepare Trubisky? And I don't care if you want to claim he was playing against 2nd or 3rd string D...he still made plays. Stop and think...he made plays play WITH 2nd and 3rd string O. He's ready. And yes...he'll still make rookie mistakes. But this team will be better with his rookie mistakes than Glennon's complete ineptness that handcuffs the entire team. I get your point of coddling him til "he's ready"...I just don't buy that form of preparedness....not with this scenario. Trubisky is head and shoulders more capable of running this offense that the Giraffe.....

So the comment about people putting me on a pedestal ....and I should stick to medicine because you doubt my football knowledge wasn't directed to me. I'm not allowed to have opinion other than medical ones wasn't either?

The future of the Bears success depends on Trubiskey. The entire decision making process of when to play him should revolve around when he is ready. It shouldn't mater if everyone except his mother thinks Glennon sucks. He is irrelevant to the Bears future. What the teammates think is irrelevant because Glennon is irrelevant. He is just the place holder until Trubiskey is ready and everyone knew it as soon as Trubiskey was drafted.

I've said all along that he should play when he is ready, whether that was the first game this year or next year. I've given reasons as to why he may not be ready and reasons why the coaches may not be playing him. So far your answer as to why he should be playing is that Glennon sucks and every knows it, that he played well in the pre-season and from your intimate knowledge of the team, they have zero confidence in him.

No offense but I still like my rationale better and will stick with this opinion.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 11:53 PM)
If Trubisky will be "ruined" by starting early then he was never going to be good anyway.

Trubisky is currently the best QB on the Bears roster and should be playing, just like any other position on the team.

This could be true but I don't think it's a given. I just wouldn't take that chance with the future of the franchise. He definitely has more physical gifts than the others but I'm not sure about everything else.

it doesn't always work out to just throw them in to starting just look at the Bears other QB, sanchez. He was the best QB at the time. Would he have been more successful if the Jets let him sit and learn for awhile? Listen to the interview from Rogers. He thinks the best thing that happened to him was to sit and learn.

You can find examples either way. My only point is that why take that chance and the play of glennon should have no impact on the decision.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 11:53 PM)
So the comment about people putting me on a pedestal ....and I should stick to medicine because you doubt my football knowledge wasn't directed to me. I'm not allowed to have opinion other than medical ones wasn't either?

The future of the Bears success depends on Trubiskey. The entire decision making process of when to play him should revolve around when he is ready. It shouldn't mater if everyone except his mother thinks Glennon sucks. He is irrelevant to the Bears future. What the teammates think is irrelevant because Glennon is irrelevant. He is just the place holder until Trubiskey is ready and everyone knew it as soon as Trubiskey was drafted.

I've said all along that he should play when he is ready, whether that was the first game this year or next year. I've given reasons as to why he may not be ready and reasons why the coaches may not be playing him. So far your answer as to why he should be playing is that Glennon sucks and every knows it, that he played well in the pre-season and from your intimate knowledge of the team, they have zero confidence in him.

No offense but I still like my rationale better and will stick with this opinion.

ok...I'll just say...I disagree with your opinion (that you keep repeating like a broken record). So your opinion is he's not ready (regardless of the fact you stated you'd like to see him start)...lol ok. Again...we'll find out next monday. But keep throwing out the word "irrelevant". You don't think guys like Hicks standing up and stating "changes need to be made and to make changes that put the team in a better position to succeed" aren't directed at Glennon and the coaching staff?!?!? hahahaa...geezus. If that's not a damning statement...not sure what to tell ya. I'd venture to say he's not the only one that feels that way...and whether you agree or not...those opinions do matter. And I'd venture to say they see it every day in practice...those comments are pretty telling I'd say. It's called "losing a team" from a coaches standpoint. Sorry...if you can't see that. And fyi...my answer as to why he should be playing is based on what I've seen from Trubisky to date and his abilities (as many others have)...in my opinion he's ready...and yes...he'll make mistakes. But won't look like an incompetent boob out there like Glennon has. So quit twisting my words to fit your narrative. Seems Watson is ready down in Houston with his 5 td passes today (and honestly he looked completely unprepared in preseason). Kizer...meh...bad example. Russell Wilson was ready. Jameis Winston was ready. Trubisky has shown he's very capable. If you think it's better to handle him with kid gloves...cool...your opinion. Again...we'll find out soon enough. No offense..but I like my option/opinion much better as well...and so does most of Chicago sans a few. If they throw him out there and he looks completely over his head...I'll admit I'm wrong. But I wont' judge on one game. But it's time to move forward with him...

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 12:55 AM)
ok...I'll just say...I disagree with your opinion (that you keep repeating like a broken record). So your opinion is he's not ready (regardless of the fact you stated you'd like to see him start)...lol ok. Again...we'll find out next monday. But keep throwing out the word "irrelevant". You don't think guys like Hicks standing up and stating "changes need to be made and to make changes that put the team in a better position to succeed" aren't directed at Glennon and the coaching staff?!?!? hahahaa...geezus. If that's not a damning statement...not sure what to tell ya. I'd venture to say he's not the only one that feels that way...and whether you agree or not...those opinions do matter. And I'd venture to say they see it every day in practice...those comments are pretty telling I'd say. It's called "losing a team" from a coaches standpoint. Sorry...if you can't see that. And fyi...my answer as to why he should be playing is based on what I've seen from Trubisky to date and his abilities (as many others have)...in my opinion he's ready...and yes...he'll make mistakes. But won't look like an incompetent boob out there like Glennon has. So quit twisting my words to fit your narrative. Seems Watson is ready down in Houston with his 5 td passes today (and honestly he looked completely unprepared in preseason). Kizer...meh...bad example. Russell Wilson was ready. Jameis Winston was ready. Trubisky has shown he's very capable. If you think it's better to handle him with kid gloves...cool...your opinion. Again...we'll find out soon enough. No offense..but I like my option/opinion much better as well...and so does most of Chicago sans a few. If they throw him out there and he looks completely over his head...I'll admit I'm wrong. But I wont' judge on one game. But it's time to move forward with him...

Why is Keizer a bad example? Is it because he doesn't fit your narrative? Tom Brady appeared in 1 game his rookie year. Brett Favre appeared in 2. Rogers didn't start his first 3 years. Admittedly, they weren't behind Glennon, but they turned out to be better than what they were behind.

What the consensus is with the fans is irrelevant. Most loved they hired John Fox. Not anymore. Ryan Pace was praised constantly. Not anymore. There is no question as a fan Trubisky would be a lot more interesting to watch, be he is a guy who has started 13 games since high school. This isn't a playoff team. doing what will make him better next year and 5 years from now is more important than making the game more interesting for me to watch right now.

It has really shifted. People wanted the Bears to lose, lose, lose for draft purposes. Now, they still have a s***ty team with no receivers, and no shot at the playoffs, but that seems to have changed.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 07:31 AM)
This is really easy guys. If they didn't think he was ready to play then he wouldn't be the #2 QB on game days.

Yeah, I would agree making him the back up and saying he isn't ready totally contradict each other. But, if he did play up until now, he wouldn't have been gameplanned for, and it probably would have helped.

The one thing they liked about Glennon was a lack of turnovers. That blew up in their faces.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 12:55 AM)

You shouldn't judge by one game. I'm going to sound like a broken record here again. the long term development of Trubiskey is the key. Not next game not this year. It doesn't matter what other rookie QBs have done this year. They are all different and Trubiskey has a disadvantage over all of them with his lack of experience. Every example you used were QBs from big programs with multiple years of starting experience.

I never said I wanted him to start at any time other than when he was ready. My comment was that this week makes the most sense if the coaching staff thought he was ready.

I'm not twisting your words. Glennon sucks everyone knows it. that doesn't mean you should rush Trubiskey. Using a baseball example, Eloy jimenez looks to be the most talented OF the Sox have. Why isn't he in the MLB?

I'm sure Hicks probably was referring to this situation. He is a player and wants to win now. The front office can't afford to look that short term. Their job is to look into the future as well.

You very well could be right and he is ready although I'm not sure why they wouldn't play him if he was ready. I'm just pointing out why he might not be and stating I would not not take the chance of ruining him if he wasn't. There are plenty of examples where it wasn't successful to throw players into starting, Tim couch, JaMarcus Russell, Alex smith (although he became decent with his next team, doesn't help the Bears), Jason campbell, Vince, young, Jeff George, and the one many people look at is Jim Plunket.

There are examples on both sides, all players are different. I would just be cautious with him try do what is best for his development and not focus on what the Bears need today.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 07:31 AM)
This is really easy guys. If they didn't think he was ready to play then he wouldn't be the #2 QB on game days.

My only question would be, Why isn't he starting then? Fox knows his job is on the line.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 07:52 AM)
Yeah, I would agree making him the back up and saying he isn't ready totally contradict each other. But, if he did play up until now, he wouldn't have been gameplanned for, and it probably would have helped.

The one thing they liked about Glennon was a lack of turnovers. That blew up in their faces.

No doubt they picked a poor lame duck QB. The top 2 WRs going down early didn't help him much though.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 07:56 AM)
No doubt they picked a poor lame duck QB. The top 2 WRs going down early didn't help him much though.

Ironically, they probably coulda signed Kaepernick and a Terrell Pryor or Pierre Garcon and wound up with a far better setup for less money.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)
Ironically, they probably coulda signed Kaepernick and a Terrell Pryor or Pierre Garcon and wound up with a far better setup for less money.

No doubt. Even a Josh Mckown making half the money would have been a better choice.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 07:55 AM)
My only question would be, Why isn't he starting then? Fox knows his job is on the line.

For the reasons you've been saying would be my guess. I just don't agree that he needs to sit for 3 years watching terrible QB's play before he'll be any good

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 02:22 PM)
I get a chuckle from people that call baseball boring anymore...good lord...IMO football has FAR SURPASSED it in boring moments. Every time you flip on a channel there's either a commercial or some idiotic review for the 10th time in a half....or the halftime or pregame blabberers. When you go to a game you spend most of your time with your thumb up your arse waiting for tv timeouts...or again...some review. They spend more downtime. It's part of the reason football is losing me...among other reasons. Another being...hey dipsh**...when you make a play just go back to the huddle and quit acting like a WWE idiot. And don't even get me going on the flags every other play... Not a shocker people are turning it off. Sure you watch your team...but I'm not going to sit there watching as a "football fan" anymore....I just won't do it. It's hard enough just watching your team.

It's why I watch RedZone channel. Unless the Bears game is close in the 4th.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)
For the reasons you've been saying would be my guess. I just don't agree that he needs to sit for 3 years watching terrible QB's play before he'll be any good

I would agree. Even though Rogers said it was valuable, 3 years is extreme.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
Patrick Finley‏Verified account @patrickfinley 2m2 minutes ago Mitch's last 4 starts before this upcoming one: 4-8 Duke, Div. I-AA Citadel, rival NC State, No. 16 Stanford

What does this even matter? Big Ben played MAC teams his last four games, Carson wentz played MVCF.