White Sox outright 5 to Charlotte

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 09:17 AM)
I'm rooting for jake peter because he's kept producing, but last offseason I thought Peter was our preferred upcoming utility man. Out of spring training they sent him to AA after being in AAA the year before. He hit his way out and was smoking AAA...they didn't call him up in Sept.

SS2k5 is right, there is something there the sox aren't that interested in.

There really weren't at bats to go around either in the infield. Anderson shortstop, Moncada 2B, Yolmer, a good amount of at bats at 3B.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
There really weren't at bats to go around either in the infield. Anderson shortstop, Moncada 2B, Yolmer, a good amount of at bats at 3B.

Those same guys are all back next year. It also leaves out Hansen and Saladino who are still ahead of everyone else.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)
Probably but hanson stayed largely due to being able to play all 3 OF position. It made it easier to keep him since he I think played all positions except 1b/C at least once.

And Peter can play those same positions (minus maybe CF, which Leury or Engel can play...whoever is on the bench).

My only question with Peter is if we buy the increased power in AAA. If it's a function of the park, which has historically been a hitter's park, then I don't think you put much stock into it and he's a singles hitting utility infielder with no discernible skills other than an ability to play multiple positions and hit singles, which lots of guys can do. If you do, then there is value in him as a potential utility player with a little pop off the bench.

Whether they protect him or not really doesn't bother me. I see the merits for both sides.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 02:51 PM)
Not that I disagree with you but I think May goes before Hanson.

With the way the Sox used Hanson this year, I think there are about five players that go before him. There are multiple guys in the pen that will be gone long before Hanson.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 02:55 PM)
With the way the Sox used Hanson this year, I think there are about five players that go before him. There are multiple guys in the pen that will be gone long before Hanson.

As bad as the pen was and the likelihood of Hahn using some spots to sign a few veteran relievers, I think that's a good call.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 02:19 PM)
My only question with Peter is if we buy the increased power in AAA. If it's a function of the park, which has historically been a hitter's park, then I don't think you put much stock into it and he's a singles hitting utility infielder with no discernible skills other than an ability to play multiple positions and hit singles, which lots of guys can do. If you do, then there is value in him as a potential utility player with a little pop off the bench.

Whether they protect him or not really doesn't bother me. I see the merits for both sides.

If you do buy the power at Charlotte though you should buy it and then some in Majors, recently anyways.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 03:10 PM)
As bad as the pen was and the likelihood of Hahn using some spots to sign a few veteran relievers, I think that's a good call.

I don't think there will be many major league deals in the pen, but MiLB ones. I can't see the Sox spending much, but bringing in some warm bodies to see what sticks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
I don't think there will be many major league deals in the pen, but MiLB ones. I can't see the Sox spending much, but bringing in some warm bodies to see what sticks.

Was Swarzak signed to a minor or major league deal? I forget off the top of my head. He's what I had in mind when I said sign a few guys.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)
Was Swarzak signed to a minor or major league deal? I forget off the top of my head. He's what I had in mind when I said sign a few guys.

I think minor league.

Random note, but Kevin Siegrist was released the other day. They should gamble on him on a minor league deal.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
I think minor league.

Random note, but Kevin Siegrist was released the other day. They should gamble on him on a minor league deal.

I like the Siegrist idea, especially being left handed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 03:39 PM)

Right on.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, there were a few variations I made awhile back: one was Anderson, Q, Rodon the other: Anderson, Moncada, Rodon. They live in the ether and are a bit dire. I decided no minor leaguers hit the banner until they debut, this isn't futuresox. So who gets featured? I typically go 3 pics, can be the same dude or any combination of ML players.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 23, 2017 -> 10:08 PM)
Well, there were a few variations I made awhile back: one was Anderson, Q, Rodon the other: Anderson, Moncada, Rodon. They live in the ether and are a bit dire. I decided no minor leaguers hit the banner until they debut, this isn't futuresox. So who gets featured? I typically go 3 pics, can be the same dude or any combination of ML players.

Scrap those. Moncada, Eloy, and Kopech. That's where my vote goes.