40-man roster decisions and the Rule 5 Draft

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
Nick Burdi has value though. The Twins almost got Jamie Garcia for him (while injured) this past deadline, but the Burdi portion of the deal fell through due to medicals. I think they'll trade him before they remove him from the 40 man.

He's not currently on the 40 and the Twins have him and 6 other guys on their top 30 that are rule 5 eligible.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 03:48 PM)
Yeah I don't think anyone would take him just for him to sit on the bench for majority of a season. With pitchers, it's easier to hide them in the bullpen since you can pick and choose their spots a lot easier.

I agree that pitchers are a bigger risk, but there is no reason to take this risk with Adolpho. He's a quality prospect, teams are tanking and rebuilding and aren't winning anyway. I believe the trend will be toward grabbing more of these type of guys.

There are several guys with limited upside that can be moved.

As for the Yankees, they moved 2 of their rule 5 guys to the Sox last July, so they've worked on that for a while.

Edited by GreenSox

I could easily see the Tigers grabbing Adolfo. Let him sit on the bench for the year and then let him start 2018 as a 22 year old in high A. He’d basically be age appropriate, although I’m assuming he’d only have two options remaining at that point. Regardless, there is absolutely no risk for a rebuilding club to do something like this and I don’t believe the Tigers are exactly flush with talent.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 07:27 PM)
I could easily see the Tigers grabbing Adolfo. Let him sit on the bench for the year and then let him start 2018 as a 22 year old in high A. He’d basically be age appropriate, although I’m assuming he’d only have two options remaining at that point. Regardless, there is absolutely no risk for a rebuilding club to do something like this and I don’t believe the Tigers are exactly flush with talent.

There is reality. Sitting him a year kills a year of development he can't get back. I really doubt anyone would select him.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 07:54 PM)
Don't forget, there are also AAA and AA rounds of the rule V as well. If Adolfo isnt added to the 40 man, I think he's a goner.

Yeah, but there are also protected rosters for each of those. We could easily put Adolfo on the AAA roster and then he could only be taken in the major league portion of the draft.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 08:01 PM)
There is reality. Sitting him a year kills a year of development he can't get back. I really doubt anyone would select him.

Why would they care though? They have nothing to lose by selecting him and carrying him on their bench for a year. Worst case scenario they simply prevent him from ever developing into something with a division rival. Best case scenario he reaches his relatively high ceiling with them. I don’t think it’s likely they take him, but I could see a rebuilding team take a shot on him. He’s more than young enough to overcome a lost year of development.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 08:23 PM)
Why would they care though? They have nothing to lose by selecting him and carrying him on their bench for a year. Worst case scenario they simply prevent him from ever developing into something with a division rival. Best case scenario he reaches his relatively high ceiling with them. I don’t think it’s likely they take him, but I could see a rebuilding team take a shot on him. He’s more than young enough to overcome a lost year of development.

They would care because he will take up a roster spot an entire year, and playing a man down is fine for a game or 3 but not 162. And after a year of sitting, you send him back to AA and he is behind from where he was when you drafted him. There has to be someone else available more interesting for them .

The Sox took a pitcher last year who didn't even have 40 innings in AA. Now pitchers are easier to hide on a 25, but the Sox just let him do his thing, overmatched as he was. No reason other teams won't do the same, and expand it to hitters.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 07:54 PM)
Don't forget, there are also AAA and AA rounds of the rule V as well. If Adolfo isnt added to the 40 man, I think he's a goner.

He wouldn't be on the A roster. Remember in the major league portion 40 are protected, so that guys from A ball are on the AAA roster.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 08:29 PM)
They would care because he will take up a roster spot an entire year, and playing a man down is fine for a game or 3 but not 162. And after a year of sitting, you send him back to AA and he is behind from where he was when you drafted him. There has to be someone else available more interesting for them .

They’re entering the first year of their rebuild, I can’t imagine playing a man down really matters that much. The Padres just last season took two positional guys that were also 21 and with similar amounts of experience. They played two men down all year. Teams are constantly looking for ways to get an edge and stashing talented, but undeveloped positional prospects on their bench may become more prevalent in coming years, especially with the amount of clubs rebuilding. I mean for f***’s sake, we took an A ball catcher and carried him all year and we weren’t even rebuilding.

And let’s not forgot Aldolfo was widely considered as being part of the big three prospects in his signing class along with Gleybor Torres and our very own Eloy Jimenez. Those guys are both top 5 to 10 prospects in all of baseball. Adolfo clearly has a ton of talent and I’m not certain there will be a lot of positional guys available that are more interesting than him. I can guarantee you that there are GMs with quality development staffs out there right now who would love to add a kid with his kind of upside to their system. Again, I think it’s unlikely he gets taken in the Rule 5, but I think it’s definitely a possibility.

QUOTE (Quin @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 08:18 PM)
I'd really prefer they protect Micker if they have the space. Not much reason not to.

Agreed and they have the space, or could easily have the space. They could drop any one of... Charlie 'tinman' Tilson, Alan 'Micah2.0' Hanson, Jacob ' Juan Pierre lite' May and Wily 'Kenny' G. I would keep Adolfo over any of those guys.