Reynaldo Lopez

KnightsOnMintSt

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 02:35 PM)
Nobody knows what his stuff will be like after the shoulder surgery. Even though, per all reports, there was no structural damage, shoulders are weird and he could come out in July/August throwing 91 and his slider might not have the bite it used to, or it could have no effect on his stuff. Until he's on the mound with the Sox, we just won't know.

If the problem was truly what they said, it will have no effect on his stuff.

His slider will definitely not be effected as that is mostly elbow issues. If any thing his slider will improve and the fastball will tail more with less velocity as he may drop his arm angle.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 02:54 PM)
Honestly, I don't know that sticking him in the pen for 2018 only is a crazy idea.

It would be crazy as it won't help build up the strength. He needs the innings. If he can't start, he won't go to the pen either.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 02:55 PM)
If the problem was truly what they said, it will have no effect on his stuff.

His slider will definitely not be effected as that is mostly elbow issues. If any thing his slider will improve and the fastball will tail more with less velocity as he may drop his arm angle.

What about scar tissue and range of motion just from going in there? I really don't think he would have any issues with velocity or anything other than what I mentioned. I don't know why they had to go in there to begin with. (disclaimer: not comparing myself to a world class athlete) but when I was pitching in HS I had bursitis in my throwing elbow, couldn't straighten it,(thought I might have a UCL injury but got lucky) got some IV antibiotics to help with the swelling and was good as new in a week. Bursitis just seems like a really weird thing to have surgery because of.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 03:00 PM)
What about scar tissue and range of motion just from going in there? I really don't think he would have any issues with velocity or anything other than what I mentioned. I don't know why they had to go in there to begin with. (disclaimer: not comparing myself to a world class athlete) but when I was pitching in HS I had bursitis in my throwing elbow, couldn't straighten it, got some IV antibiotics to help with the swelling and was good as new in a week.

The difference is that the bursa in the elbow is to protect the joint (the reason you couldn't straighten it) while the one they are referring to in the shoulder protects the rotator cuff. If the bursa is chronically inflamed and scars it causes a decreased space around the Cuff and in turn causes and impingement without enough room for the cuff to move. Thus the reason to remove it. The issue now is without the bursa to protect the cuff there may be a compression on the cuff itself which typically causes a person to not want to raise their arm over their head. In a pitcher that would lower the arm angle.

Scar tissue doesn't typically form in this area as it is relatively avascular. It's possible but this is all something they would know by now if he had a range of motion deficits.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 12:47 PM)
I've got Lopez penciled in as a mid-rotation started for the next half decade.

1. Kopech

2. Rodon

3. Giolito

4. Lopez

5. Hansen

With guys like Cease, Dunning, Fulmer, Adams, Stephens, Guerrero, Clarkin, Viera, Bummer filling out the pen.

I could see Dunning in the startwe mix if one of those guys fail, or get traded.

And you forget about possibly our biggest bullpen arm of them all, Zack Burdi.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 01:47 PM)
I've got Lopez penciled in as a mid-rotation started for the next half decade.

1. Kopech

2. Rodon

3. Giolito

4. Lopez

5. Hansen

With guys like Cease, Dunning, Fulmer, Adams, Stephens, Guerrero, Clarkin, Viera, Bummer filling out the pen.

I could see Dunning in the startwe mix if one of those guys fail, or get traded.

That would be great. BUT............What percentage of prospects make it to the MLB and stick? 75% would be nirvana. So to be realistic, 4 ish of them will either flop or have injuries derailing their careers. Hopefully none will be the ones in your 1-5.