2018-19 NCAA Basketball thread

3 hours ago, bigruss said:

Is it?  Sure we had some decent success with the offense but Georgetown is a low tier P5 team at this point.  They played extremely young as well, and yet they flourished at the end of the game, on the road, in a hostile environment.  Yet again this team can't close, I'm glad to hear the team isn't accepting that in the locker room after the game but until this team learns to close I don't think things have really "changed".  

Whitney would be a program changer, but alas that ain't happening.

seriously....you can't see a difference?  Sucked not having Trent out there last night...but the young guys on this team this year actually have a clue.  What sucks is how far behind Kane is...and Adonis needs to get his legs back under him.  I wouldn't play him too much until late next month...just a few tics here and there. 

Yeah...Whitney would have been a game changer...sucks. But until this team starts winning...OR changes how they play they won't get these guys.  It's been a good start so far.  I bet tons of recruits watch this style and love it.  Far cry from January John's snooze fest O.

2 hours ago, bigruss said:

Way to early to tell if it’s different, for all we know Georgetown is a terrible big east team and this was just us competing against a bad team.

Again, I’ll be convinced it’s dofferent when the results actually change.

yeah...let's talk at the end of the year.  Georgetown has some nice talent...skilled big men and their freshman guards aren't that shabby.  Be interesting to see how they do in the Big East.  Better than Depaul I'm thinking....

16 minutes ago, Wanne said:

geezus christ...on right now...an announcing nightmare.  Bill Walton and Jason Benetti  doing the Illini/Gonzaga game.   Benetti just baits Walton to blab on and on and on...

It's hilarious that Walton is oblivious to it too. I can't believe he's still on TV. He somehow got worse the last 10 years. 

32 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

i suppose it's a moral victory, but it looks like they kept it relatively close in the 2nd half and actually had a chance to take the lead in the last minute. Giorgi looks like a steal of a recruit so far.  

Gives me hope that Underwood can go get the underrated kids, need more of that with our recruiting misses.

And I think last night is only a moral victory if you win today, no one will remember last night if we lose again.

1 hour ago, bigruss said:

Gives me hope that Underwood can go get the underrated kids, need more of that with our recruiting misses.

And I think last night is only a moral victory if you win today, no one will remember last night if we lose again.

very winnable game last night but you have to love how gritty this team is.  A few of those open looks drop and it's a different outcome.  Trent was just gassed on that last three. Overall there's quite  a few positives I see so far.  Some negatives too.  Kipper HAS to show up and shake off the Georgetown game miscue at the end.  Seems it carried over into last night and he was tentative.

Underwood FINALLY switched up to the 1-3-1 after getting burned on overplay man on man.  They'll get killed all year and I think the switching up to a zone was smart.  It definitely slowed Gonzaga down.

And man...thank God for Giorgi!  What a find he's been...

2 hours ago, fathom said:

THT is going to be a great 4-year player 

He's been a lot of fun to watch and will be asked to be our main scorer in a year with Shayok and Wigginton (likely) gone.

Nice performance without 3 starters and our 6th man from last year.

16 hours ago, fathom said:

THT is going to be a great 4-year player 

I sure wish I knew the exact story about why he's not an Illini.  I've heard various things from the Irvins were pissed at him...to he and Ayo not getting along...to THT's having a beef with Ayo or the Irvins.  Whatever it was...Underwood caved in on that one surprisingly.  I don't think we'll see that happen again...but whatever the case it's a damn shame and really will come back and bite Illinois in the ass (as it already appears to have).