6/5- Sox at Twins doubleheader, 3:10

flavum

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

We don't know for sure actually. I don't think him returning to 95-96 is out of the question though. I really think he's working on stuff and they really don't care about results quite yet. There's that curveball. 

Trust me, during his slump, if he still had elite velocity, he would be trying his best to throw it through the backstop

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Trust me, during his slump, if he still had elite velocity, he would be trying his best to throw it through the backstop

Agree completely.  There's no "there there".

On a side note, TA really needs to set and throw.  He had plenty of time there and that's a play he's thrown wild on more than once.  Gotta know the runner and gotta use fundamentals most of the time.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

I disagree, if he's putting his faith in one of the best pitching coaches in baseball. Remember in 2007-08 when Floyd was first with the Sox he was in the 89-91 range and when he got comfortable repeating his new delivery with Coop he was sitting 94-96 regularly. You'd be surprised. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, greg775 said:

Smith at catcher could be the key. How many pitches has Gio thrown? One more inning, baby and he gets a gatorade shower. Gio is back baby!

Wouldn't go that far, but of his 6 hits, two were infield singles. Not a lot of hard hit balls. He just has to zero in his off speed stuff and maybe he will be back. 

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

More strikeouts and I'd agree.  But he finally just got one.

Strike outs are over rated. Pitch to the bat and get the outs that way. Six innings and giving up two runs is pretty good in my book. More important is the fact there are only two walks allowed 

13 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

LOL...somehow he is through 5, with 5 hits and 2 BB, still 0 Ks. The first pitch curve to Sano was awesome. 

Which should tell everyone that if he gets his shit together he will be a good pitcher. He knows how to pitch as far as working all zones juus can't do it yet.

Just now, elrockinMT said:

Strike outs are over rated. Pitch to the bat and get the outs that way. Six innings and giving up two runs is pretty good in my book. More important is the fact there are only two walks allowed 

Gonna have to agree to disagree here.  Strikeouts and swinging strikes are by far the best predictor of a pitcher's success along with walk rate.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

We don't know for sure actually. I don't think him returning to 95-96 is out of the question though. I really think he's working on stuff and they really don't care about results quite yet. There's that curveball. He's been broken down and rebuilt twice. Again, Washington tried to fix what wasn't broken and messed with a guy in the process. 

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/padres-vs-nationals/2016/07/24/448339#game_state=,game_tab=,game=448339

Read this game story from almost two years ago with the Nationals....was sent back down after it.

Nearly the EXACT same issues...could have been written about most of his starts THIS year.

"He was really down to one pitch (the fastball)," manager Dusty Baker said. "And you have to have either tremendous gas, or you have to be able to locate to the max. It's back to the drawing board with him."

Giolito threw 66 pitches and generated one swing and miss on Sunday, a startling number for a pitcher with the "stuff" that scouts have made him a potential future No.1 starter. He threw five changeups and 13 curveballs compared to 48 fastballs.

Each of Giolito's three Major League starts have lasted four innings or fewer, including one that was cut short because of rain in his Major League debut, but the other two have been short as a result of performance.

"You're going to get in trouble when you don't command those [offspeed] pitches," he said. "When you can't throw a curveball for a strike or changeup in a hitters count, then you get into trouble and I've been dealing with a lot of that."

Giolito said he had been dealing with these command issues at times all season, although he had a good grasp on those pitches during his last start at Triple-A. There he struck out seven in 6 2/3 innings and allowed an unearned run on seven hits.

"It's frustrating because my last outing at Syracuse I was commanding offspeed pitches pretty well and I had a good outing," he said. "I didn't translate that into today, obviously, so I just have to keep working and try to get better at it."

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You guys are nuts. Stone and Bennetti are so cordial with each other they are a delightful broadcast team. These 2 guys are giving us a fine broadcast. Bennetti forever!

I like them too

I'm with you there Caulfield, at some point "learning how to pitch" turns into "he just kinda sucks now".  That said, might as well keep trotting him out there.  If he sucks it helps the tank, it he's great, it helps the rebuild.   It's not like Kopech is pushing for a promotion with his performance anyways.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/padres-vs-nationals/2016/07/24/448339#game_state=,game_tab=,game=448339

Read this game story from almost two years ago with the Nationals....was sent back down after it.

Nearly the EXACT same issues...could have been written about most of his starts THIS year.

"He was really down to one pitch (the fastball)," manager Dusty Baker said. "And you have to have either tremendous gas, or you have to be able to locate to the max. It's back to the drawing board with him."

Giolito threw 66 pitches and generated one swing and miss on Sunday, a startling number for a pitcher with the "stuff" that scouts have made him a potential future No.1 starter. He threw five changeups and 13 curveballs compared to 48 fastballs.

Each of Giolito's three Major League starts have lasted four innings or fewer, including one that was cut short because of rain in his Major League debut, but the other two have been short as a result of performance.

"You're going to get in trouble when you don't command those [offspeed] pitches," he said. "When you can't throw a curveball for a strike or changeup in a hitters count, then you get into trouble and I've been dealing with a lot of that."

Giolito said he had been dealing with these command issues at times all season, although he had a good grasp on those pitches during his last start at Triple-A. There he struck out seven in 6 2/3 innings and allowed an unearned run on seven hits.

"It's frustrating because my last outing at Syracuse I was commanding offspeed pitches pretty well and I had a good outing," he said. "I didn't translate that into today, obviously, so I just have to keep working and try to get better at it."

They had already started tinkering at that point. go look at his 2015 stats and then his 2016 stats I'd imagine they were night and day. 

And, as far as changing his delivery/mechanics...75% of it was probably trying to prevent another TJS.

Now we know with how Strasburg was handled the Nats aren't always right, and nor was/is Dusty Baker...but you don't tear a guy completely down and try to put him back together without good reason.

In the same way, Tiger Woods started adjusting his swing in an attempt to cut down on the torque created on his knees, hip and back...if he could have kept doing it the same way (without his body deteriorating further), there would have been no reason to change, right?

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm with you there Caulfield, at some point "learning how to pitch" turns into "he just kinda sucks now".  That said, might as well keep trotting him out there.  If he sucks it helps the tank, it he's great, it helps the rebuild.   It's not like Kopech is pushing for a promotion with his performance anyways.

Over last three years for Giolito, it's been one excuse after another to explain the drastic loss of stuff. Mechanics, spin rate, weather, etc.

Just now, fathom said:

Over last three years for Giolito, it's been one excuse after another to explain the drastic loss of stuff. Mechanics, spin rate, weather, etc.

Obviously if Dylan Covey can find 95mph almost any pro pitcher can in theory but again I'm with you 100% here.  It's excuse after excuse.  I'm reminded of Gordon Beckham's "swing tinkering" theory and how once he finally found a swing and stopped tinkering he'd be good again.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

We really don't know what it is. He's not the same guy he was in 2015, that's for sure. It's up to Coop and the Sox to get him as close as possible.