6/6- White Sox at Twins, 7:10

flavum

2 minutes ago, Richie said:

Smith back there instead of Navaraez makes this team instantly better. 

The funny thing is that Smith was much better offensively, but the overall fWAR numbers were way to the advantage of Omar last year, I think he ended up around 1.5 or so?

Just now, Richie said:

Smith back there instead of Navaraez makes this team instantly better. 

He has had a great game tonight, blocked a ton of balls, a couple hits, framing good. Keep him in there. 

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The funny thing is that Smith was much better offensively, but the overall fWAR numbers were way to the advantage of Omar last year, I think he ended up around 1.5 or so?

Surprisingly that advantage was driven by Omar’s defense in fangraphs 

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well... they had nearly identical PA's (295 vs 294)

Navarez .277/.373/.340 (.713 OPS) 38 BB's 45 K's (2 HR 15 RBI)

Smith .283/.309/.388 (.697 OPS) 9 BB's 46 K's (4 HR 30 RBI)

I can understand where Navarez may have technically been better. However, (this is speculative ) I do believe Navarez had a pretty lucky BABIP situation going on. Maybe I am remembering that incorrectly.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Surprisingly that advantage was driven by Omar’s defense in fangraphs 

I feel like there's no accurate way to track catcher defense. 

Omar is brutal at pitch framing (don't see how they account for that in fWAR) and catcher's get such generous rulings when it comes to passed balls vs wild pitches. Most of the time, they get any ruling where the ball goes into the dirt. Which just isn't how it should be. You should be accountable for blocking the baseball. Certainly not every time, but much more than they're held to it. 

2 minutes ago, Richie said:

I feel like there's no accurate way to track catcher defense. 

Omar is brutal at pitch framing (don't see how they account for that in fWAR) and catcher's get such generous rulings when it comes to passed balls vs wild pitches. Most of the time, they get any ruling where the ball goes into the dirt. Which just isn't how it should be. You should be accountable for blocking the baseball. Certainly not every time, but much more than they're held to it. 

I haven’t looked into how FG does catcher defense. Seems off. Would take Soto/Castillo/Smith etc over narvy easy

• Like 1

Just now, bmags said:

I haven’t looked into how FG does catcher defense. Seems off. Would take Soto/Castillo/Smith etc over narvy easy

Many here favored keeping Narvaez over Smith in the spring I would imagine because of his OBP . Can't be sure if he looked that bad catching last year but he does have a whole different group of pitcher to handle. Could be guys like Robertson and Kahnle and Swazak were just easily to catch and were much more consistent with their command.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Many here favored keeping Narvaez over Smith in the spring I would imagine because of his OBP . Can't be sure if he looked that bad catching last year but he does have a whole different group of pitcher to handle. Could be guys like Robertson and Kahnle and Swazak were just easily to catch and were much more consistent with their command.

No, it’s cause he bats left handed, and Castillo bats right handed.