Flash Flood Watch Game Tonight

Richie

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

everybody in this thread watches the games.   Not everyone overreacts to every pitch as if its the end of the world

This opinion is a multi start data set. I see this start after start. Hitters are on his stuff for some reason. He's not fooling hitters. Can someone explain that to me, other than low spin rate? I'm not overreacting to every pitch, I have seen what I have seen over the course of the season. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

This opinion is a multi start data set. I see this start after start. Hitters are on his stuff for some reason. He's not fooling hitters. Can someone explain that to me? 

I dunno, why dont you explain it since its all about the data set and not about watching the games.  Oh wait, you just asked if we are watching the games.   So I guess Im watching the games and watching the man succeed, while learning how to pitch.   And in your world his spin rate in the first is terrible so lets complain about it.  or maybe we can get 9 innings of fathom talking about MPH and pitch selection.   who knows.   Lets explain all of it so i can come to the conclusion that Lopez is terrible

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I dunno, why dont you explain it since its all about the data set and not about watching the games.  Oh wait, you just asked if we are watching the games.   So I guess Im watching the games and watching the man succeed, while learning how to pitch.   And in your world his spin rate in the first is terrible so lets complain about it.  or maybe we can get 9 innings of fathom talking about MPH and pitch selection.   who knows.   Lets explain all of it so i can come to the conclusion that Lopez is terrible

No, I watch the games and look at the data to confirm/deny what I'm seeing. It isn't just one or the other. I'm not saying that he's completely terrible, or he can't get better, but I do hope there is something he can do to put more spin on his fastball. The concern is that he isn't missing bats and if all else stays the same, he might be a back of rotation guy at best. When I said he might be an AAAA guy that was more hyperbole than anything else, It is more me trying to get my point across that he's not a TOR pitcher, and unless he starts missing bats he won't be. 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

See above for my "hot take" on Lopez. idk, it makes his 98 mph fastball easier to hit. Do you even watch the games???? This is why hitters are not late on his 97-98 mph cheddar. They hit him hard, each and every time. The bad defense doesn't help either, but he's probably up there in DRA, and I know he is in xFIP. 

Also, his 6.4 K/9 is closer to a soft tossing LHP rather than a righty power arm, and his BB/9 is almost 4. No good 

He also had the old warning track flyball pitch working yesterday :)

53 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, I watch the games and look at the data to confirm/deny what I'm seeing. It isn't just one or the other. I'm not saying that he's completely terrible, or he can't get better, but I do hope there is something he can do to put more spin on his fastball. The concern is that he isn't missing bats and if all else stays the same, he might be a back of rotation guy at best. When I said he might be an AAAA guy that was more hyperbole than anything else, It is more me trying to get my point across that he's not a TOR pitcher, and unless he starts missing bats he won't be. 

You keep looking at variables in isolation and jumping to crazy conclusions.  First only velocity mattered and so Dunning was going to be a flop.  Now it’s all about spin rate so Lopez will be AAAA fodder.  How about both of these factors matter amongst many others like command & quality of secondary stuff.  Pitching is a very complex process and it can’t be explained with one number.  But let’s say it could, Fangraphs had Lopez’s fastball amongst the highest rated in the game earlier this season based on their pitch value calculations.  From what I can tell, command and his changeup have been his biggest two problems this season.  Those can improve with time, but obviously that requires patience.  I just don’t understand the need to write him off so quickly.  And I find it laughable you have more faith in Giolito thank Lopez, but that an argument for a different day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

really? I've never heard that, or is this supposed to be some sort of joke?

Yacker was a big slow 12 to 6 curveball.  Again, it is definitely an old timers term.  I haven't heard it used regularly for a long time.