11 minutes ago, fathom said:

7 walks, 2 wild pitches. Time to DL and let him work in Arizona.  If Dunning needs TJS, the pitching depth in the minors is scary bad outside Kopech/Cease.

I think Flores can be that guy that we weren’t counting on who makes it into the rotation. I’m also really curious to see what Stephens can do against major league hitters. 

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Basabe continues to shine

I would not be shocked if he goes on a tear now knowing his hitting streak is over.

I may be very alone in this, but as of right now he's surpassed Robert in my OF rankings (Robert is the better talent, but the best ability is availability and so far he's proven to be injury prone). Basabe should be even better next season as he always does well repeating a level too if Sox keep him in AA (which is probably likely).

Either that forearm is still messed up or something mentally about that injury is impacting Hansen despite people telling him he is OK. You don't go from leading the minor leagues in strike outs to this. Personally I think that forearm is still screwed up and is going to need surgery.

3 hours ago, beautox said:

exactly just leave him and kopech down till mid april next year, I'm more concerned about an extra year of control and both of them being super 2 and trying to get the #1 pick; sox are six back of Baltimore. 

I would disagree. I would bring them up when the sox believe they are ready.

3 hours ago, Tony said:

It’s also not hurting his development. 

They need to do what is best for the franchise, not the player. There are a lot of factors at play with that decision. 

In a case like this, I’ll defer to the front office to make the correct choice. 

Isn't the player meeting his potential ultimately what is best for the team? 

You don't know that it won't hurt his development. Just as they don't know it will help his development. The best they can do is progress him as best they see fit and what they believe will be the best for his development.

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Hansen with an awful strike ratio, a wild pitch, 3 walks in the first already. Who broke this dude?

I'm beginning to think that everyone is worried about the recurring elbow issues and they are trying to modify his mechanics. I don't think they would allow him to keep pitching if he was still in pain and was currently injured.

Didn't he have the issues in high school? Maybe they tried to change his mechanics in college and that's why he had the control issues then.

Edited by ptatc

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Hansen has now pitched in 35.2 innings. He has 43 walks to go with 35 strikeouts. 

Good news is he is still getting strikeouts and he isn't giving up a ton of hits either. It looks like the stuff is still there. Control, especially when it's this bad, can be fixable. My guess is that it's injury related, more likely mental that he doesn't trust it yet.

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

I would not be shocked if he goes on a tear now knowing his hitting streak is over.

I may be very alone in this, but as of right now he's surpassed Robert in my OF rankings (Robert is the better talent, but the best ability is availability and so far he's proven to be injury prone). Basabe should be even better next season as he always does well repeating a level too if Sox keep him in AA (which is probably likely).

Looking ahead, can see Basabe in OF leading off in front of Madrigal. Would have Eloy bat 3rd and DH. Assuming, Roberts earns one OF spot,  it would be between Gonalez or Rutherford for the other, at least at this point although there are endless permutations given our minor league outfield talent pool. 

Not really contributing anything to this conversation as we've all seen the box score today, but I was able to swing over to Pawtucket this afternoon and caught a few innings of the game between other obligations. I was able to catch Eloy's oppo HR - if anyone else was there, I was the one in the Knights hat going nuts down the 3B line.

Chose to take a photo instead of video so I could actually watch the AB - this was just prior to the HR.

IMG_20180729_141603849_medium.jpg

• Like 1

• bmags unpinned this topic