8/28 GT - Big Game James vs. Lance Lynn

• bmags pinned this topic
2 minutes ago, Scoots said:

What are the odds they exercise the club option on Shields' contract and put him as the 5th man to start the year until Cease gets the call, while putting Adams and/or Stephens in the pen in place of Hector?

See above. If the question were "what are the odds they decline his option, then re-sign him anyway to a cheaper 1-year deal as a 5th starter until Cease is ready", then I'd probably put it closer to 25% 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Scoots said:

What are the odds they exercise the club option on Shields' contract and put him as the 5th man to start the year until Cease gets the call, while putting Adams and/or Stephens in the pen in place of Hector?

About the odds that they play their home games at Wrigley Field next year.  If Shields was a $20 million pitcher, he would have been traded a long time ago.  Now it wouldn't shock me if the White Sox decline his option, and then bring him back on something like a 1 year/$5 million deal as a bridge man, but no way he gets his option picked up.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

About the odds that they play their home games at Wrigley Field next year.  If Shields was a $20 million pitcher, he would have been traded a long time ago.  Now it wouldn't shock me if the White Sox decline his option, and then bring him back on something like a 1 year/$5 million deal as a bridge man, but no way he gets his option picked up.

Right, I guess I didn't know how much the option was. That's the real point I'm trying to get at, what are everyone's thoughts on the likelihood that he returns next season, or are we going to try Adams or Stephens in that 5th starter spot? Or can Rodon live up to the role of experienced veteran, because that's what he will be relative to the rest of the guys on the staff.

6 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Right, I guess I didn't know how much the option was. That's the real point I'm trying to get at, what are everyone's thoughts on the likelihood that he returns next season, or are we going to try Adams or Stephens in that 5th starter spot? Or can Rodon live up to the role of experienced veteran, because that's what he will be relative to the rest of the guys on the staff.

Looking back, it is actually $16 million, but yes, it isn't happening.

44 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think we have both mentioned this before and I could still see this happening. If they were to pick up his option I think it’s at his salary of this season right? The Sox aren’t going to do that but might give him $5-$6M to sign for another year or two. I see a rotation in 2019 of Rodon, Giolito, Lopez and Kopech and an open spot. The question to be answered in it someone like a Shields or do they promote Cease out of Spring Training?

1 minute ago, elrockinMT said:

I think we have both mentioned this before and I could still see this happening. If they were to pick up his option I think it’s at his salary of this season right? The Sox aren’t going to do that but might give him $5-$6M to sign for another year or two. I see a rotation in 2019 of Rodon, Giolito, Lopez and Kopech and an open spot. The question to be answered in it someone like a Shields or do they promote Cease out of Spring Training?

Cease is probably a guy who gets here in September of 2019 at the soonest.  He still has a pretty big innings deficit to make up before he is really ready to pitch in the big leagues.

36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Cease is probably a guy who gets here in September of 2019 at the soonest.  He still has a pretty big innings deficit to make up before he is really ready to pitch in the big leagues.

I've seen a few posts that suggest Cease being up next year either mid season or even earlier. The chances of that happening arel extremely slim. 2017 he pitched around 94 ininnings. 2018 124 innings before they shut him down. Cease also had Tommy John surgery after he was drafted, Here's a link to a Q an A with Dylan talking about how being brought along slowly has helped him and how much he improved as a pitcher following the surgery from March of 2017.

https://www.mlb.com/news/cubs-prospect-dylan-cease-on-tommy-john/c-219438510

Handling him with care is what's worked so far. He definitely won't be a guy they rush.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I've seen a few posts that suggest Cease being up next year either mid season or even earlier. The chances of that happening arel extremely slim. 2017 he pitched around 94 ininnings. 2018 124 innings before they shut him down. Cease also had Tommy John surgery after he was drafted, Here's a link to a Q an A with Dylan talking about how being brought along slowly has helped him and how much he improved as a pitcher following the surgery from March of 2017.

https://www.mlb.com/news/cubs-prospect-dylan-cease-on-tommy-john/c-219438510

Handling him with care is what's worked so far. He definitely won't be a guy they rush.

If you follow the Kopech line, Cease is probably a 2020 call up.  Remember Kopech spent the end of last season at AAA, and then went back and spent until the middle of August there.  Cease only got 10 starts at AA.  He could very well start out in Birmingham again for a couple of months, and move up at the ASB like he did this year from Winston Salem to Bham.  Early to middle 2019 is WAY to quick for a guy who is at such a low innings total.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you follow the Kopech line, Cease is probably a 2020 call up.  Remember Kopech spent the end of last season at AAA, and then went back and spent until the middle of August there.  Cease only got 10 starts at AA.  He could very well start out in Birmingham again for a couple of months, and move up at the ASB like he did this year from Winston Salem to Bham.  Early to middle 2019 is WAY to quick for a guy who is at such a low innings total.

I could see him starting 2019 in AAA. His last 6 starts in AA were ridiculously good., like an 0,29 ERA and he did better in AA than he did in A+ . But also more innings at A+ so I could see him returning to AA also. A 2020 call up seems about right barring any unforeseen dramas

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I could see him starting 2019 in AAA. His last 6 starts in AA were ridiculously good., like an 0,29 ERA and he did better in AA than he did in A+ . But also more innings at A+ so I could see him returning to AA also. A 2020 call up seems about right barring any unforeseen dramas

Kopech got 22 starts in Birmingham.  Cease has had 10.  I think he at least starts there next year, maybe it won't last as long as the All-Star Break, but that is what I would bet on based on recent behavior.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hopefully this is Shields' final start with the Sox and he can end his tenure on a high note!  Go Sox!!!

Don't get your hopes up for wither of those things. I'll guess the Sox quest for a season high 5 game win streak ends tonight. If not there is some serious cosmic mojo happening .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
typo

51 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Don't get your hopes up for wither of those things. I'll guess the Sox quest for a season high 5 game win streak ends tonight. If not there is some serious cosmic mojo happening .

Both Manaea and Anderson are injured for Oakland, Call them up Hahn.