Midterms 2018

pettie4sox

The headline story will be the Senate and FL/GA for the GOP.

The even bigger story for DEMS is the rejection of Trumpism across the Midwest and Rust Belt.

Those 77,000 votes in 2016 are quickly evaporating.  PA is a massacre, Wisconsin might be one as well (Ryan will keep his seat intact because the Dems ran someone with too much baggage against his successor)...Michigan and Iowa are coming back home into the Democratic column after flirting with Trump and rejecting Clinton (equal doses of both).  Ohio is going to be another huge battleground, looks to be going GOP again for governor, following up Kasich's more moderating tone.

Trump had a great opening these last two years to move towards the middle and wipe out liberalism...and that chance is now blown.  With a strong economy, if he had fixed the Obamacare loophole/donut and balanced the tax cut more evenly between the rich/corporations and middle class...and not started an unnecessary trade war with China (the tariffs were a bad strategy, all he needed to do was build a coalition with Europe and Japan/South Korea/India and they could have extracted even bigger concessions than what we'll receive eventually).

You would never know (from the following map) that America has never been more divided...at least since the 1960's/Watergate or the Civil War.

image.png

Edited by caulfield12

Overall results tracking predictions, some surprises here and there though. Shocked with Florida gov, even more shocked with Kansas wtf

Casten, Underwood winning in Illinois, surprise in IL-13 too.

I was in a bad place when 538's house chances dropped to 35% around 8pm for a little bit.

We're seeing the big difference in how our government is structured. Haven't had a house-Senate divergence since 1984.

3 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

They can try and spin it however they like, but losing the House is a really really bad case scenario for Trump.

Dems already saying they're requesting the tax returns

Things are gonna be wild for the next couple of years. 

My gut tells me that unless we get a recession within two years, Trump will win another four.

2 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Dems already saying they're requesting the tax returns

Things are gonna be wild for the next couple of years. 

My gut tells me that unless we get a recession within two years, Trump will win another four.

How is Trump going to win without the rust belt states he won in 2016?  If they send Hillary out there, yes that's another four.  A decent candidate will destroy him.

1 minute ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Agreed that hurt him,  but even if he was "good " at his job,  he had no chance against JB and his deep pockets and connections. 

Dude, if he was a good governor or had a plan, he could have beat JB.  JB was a loser but Rauner was a bigger loser.

2 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Agreed that hurt him,  but even if he was "good " at his job,  he had no chance against JB and his deep pockets and connections. 

Rauner was really bad. But what also hurt him is how disliked Trump is in the Chicago area. Rauner was a dead man walking to send a point. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Damn it, tax returns are as big of a waste of time as emails. 

Conduct some real Russia investigations instead.

Yeah agreed on tax returns. But I think some fun could be had looking into Trump Hotel in DC and some other areas where maybe Trump has been making soft money.

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Rauner was really bad. But what also hurt him is how disliked Trump is in the Chicago area. Rauner was a dead man walking to send a point. 

Trump was always talking shit about Chicago too.  Rauner should have told him to kiss his ass.

33 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

I refuse to have any hope that she will not run and that Trump will not win in 2020

I hope she doesn’t run again, there’s no point. Put Biden, Harris or my pipe dream of Kasich and Hickenlooper our there. Realistically though I bet an aged Trump gets a second term unless we face a recession or the middle class doesn’t see the value in him like they did in 2016. Voters might have a different perspective if Clinton isn’t around though.

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I don’t think this is true. Rainer has an easy playbook to follow on Charlie Baker and other NE governors, he tried to be Scott walker except he had no legislature. He was not a good politician and accomplished nothing.

Also, there's NO WAY IN HE-L-L Hillary Clinton is going to run again, let alone win the nomination.

The Me-Too movement and her husband's past transgressions (look at the trend of white/educated women voting DEM this election, it's almost 2 to 1) make this a complete non-starter.

• Tony locked this topic