Cano to Mets deal official

southsider2k5

Cano contract is bad, but it’s not awful for now. $24M per is a lot, but you have to assume at least some money is coming along based on what we’ve heard and the Mets prospects being discussed. 

A team like the NYM can withstand 2 bad years from Cano getting paid $18M or so. 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

I just don’t understand this at all from the Mets perspective. 

It makes more sense when you realize they hired an agent with no front office experience to be their GM.  I’m waiting to see the final terms of the deal, but as currently rumored this deal is insanity.

14 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Why are people acting like this is a huge win for the Mariners? Imagine how much better of a return for Diaz it would have been if Cano wasn't a salary dump. On Garfien's podcast they were talking with Nightengale about the Mariners asking for a package starting with Cease. Cease is significantly better than Kelenic, Dunn, and Bautista. Look at what Chapman got the Yankees for only 3 months of service, Gleyber Torres.

Cano is submarining Diaz's value in this trade by forcing the Mariners to take Bruce and Swarzak back in return, as well as only getting 1 top 100 prospect.

Unless the Mariners got big plans with that money freed up from Cano, I'm not really sure why Mariners fans would be happy with this.

• Like 1

Passen’s article on this trade sums it up perfectly for me. Baseball is about winning games, this trade helps the Mets win now (lose more later perhaps).

this is unlikely the only deal they will do and this deal shouldn’t be assessed in a vacume. 

As White Sox fans we moan our team don’t act like a big market team yet some of us are now talking about losing trade value whilst acting like a big team (big teams can take more risks because they can afford to fix the mistakes).

is this a plus EV trade for the Mets, probably not. Do they win more games in 19’... almost definitely. 

Edited by Colinski

11 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Cano contract is bad, but it’s not awful for now. $24M per is a lot, but you have to assume at least some money is coming along based on what we’ve heard and the Mets prospects being discussed. 

A team like the NYM can withstand 2 bad years from Cano getting paid $18M or so. 

I assumed he's been bad given the negativity towards him, but looking at his numbers, he has lived up to the contract so far.  He has averaged over 4 WAR per season in Seattle and that would be even higher if not for his suspension last year.  During which the Mariners didn't even have to pay him anyway!!

Now that is not predictive for the second half of the deal, but it's gotta be one of the better big-name free agent signings in recent memory.  And now they might get good prospects from it too.

4 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I assumed he's been bad given the negativity towards him, but looking at his numbers, he has lived up to the contract so far.  He has averaged over 4 WAR per season in Seattle and that would be even higher if not for his suspension last year.  During which the Mariners didn't even have to pay him anyway!!

Now that is not predictive for the second half of the deal, but it's gotta be one of the better big-name free agent signings in recent memory.  And now they might get good prospects from it too.

The Mets taking on Canó is reducing the prospect haul, not adding to it.  And a 36 year guy just busted for PEDs would make me pretty nervous about his next five seasons.

BTW, I’m pretty sure the Mariners still had to pay Cano’s salary while he was suspended, but it goes to the league rather than the player.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Mets taking on Canó is reducing the prospect haul, not adding to it.  And a 36 year guy just busted for PEDs would make me pretty nervous about his next five seasons.

BTW, I’m pretty sure the Mariners still had to pay Cano’s salary while he was suspended, but it goes to the league rather than the player.

You are right about the prospect part, I got mixed up with that.  I'm not predicting the same success until age 41, but he did keep hitting upon return.  The reason the Mariners never made the playoffs wasn't his fault, he performed up to his contract so far.

According to this Seattle editorial, I think the team keeps the money.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/maybe-teams-and-not-just-the-players-should-pay-up-during-suspensions-for-peds-use/

3 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

You are right about the prospect part, I got mixed up with that.  I'm not predicting the same success until age 41, but he did keep hitting upon return.  The reason the Mariners never made the playoffs wasn't his fault, he performed up to his contract so far.

According to this Seattle editorial, I think the team keeps the money.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/maybe-teams-and-not-just-the-players-should-pay-up-during-suspensions-for-peds-use/

Shit, I think you’re right.  Does that mean we got back half of the money we owed Castillo last year?

Edited by Chicago White Sox