Nightengale: JR has talked to Boras, no offer yet submitted for harper (Harper Thread *updates in first post*)

bmags

28 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Problem is what they're leaking to Nightengale and what they're saying in interviews give two very different ideas of the pursuit. 

This.  We all know Bob has been Kenny's mouthpiece for years but I'm not sure I'm buying it this year with what they've been public with.  If they're trying to play the misdirection game, they're doing an awful job of it.

Just now, Rowand44 said:

This.  We all know Bob has been Kenny's mouthpiece for years but I'm not sure I'm buying it this year with what they've been public with.  If they're trying to play the misdirection game, they're doing an awful job of it.

Bob is reporting things that may be literally true but still misleading, or and hahn could be doing the same. Both have too much deniability for my liking.

Just now, chetkincaid said:

I still say that Harper goes to the Dodgers, Machado goes to the Yanks and we somehow end up with Puig. 

How about this (I know it’s virtually impossible):  Yanks trade Stanton to Phillies for Kingery, Yanks sign Harper and WSox sign Manny (Dodgers sign Pollock and LeMahieu)

3 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I still say that Harper goes to the Dodgers, Machado goes to the Yanks and we somehow end up with Puig. 

They are not going to trade for Puig when he's a FA next year. Regardless if Harper ends up on the Dodgers. 

55 minutes ago, bmags said:

BTW

We keep reading about how the phillies will blow other teams away with their offers for players and then it keeps...not happening.

Is this a sign that they intend to do that for just these guys, or is this boy cried wolf?

Their front office is fairy conservative.  I think they’ll amongst the highest bidders for Machado and/or Harper, but I don’t think they were ever going to pull a Tom Hicks and outbid the competition by stupid amounts.  And that applies to all free agents.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Their front office is fairy conservative.  I think they’ll amongst the highest bidders for Machado and/or Harper, but I don’t think they were ever going to pull a Tom Hicks and outbid the competition by stupid amounts.  And that applies to all free agents.

Something to keep an eye on is McCutchen’s contract is incredibly backloaded. Only 10 mil for this year.

2 minutes ago, Sockin said:

They are not going to trade for Puig when he's a FA next year. Regardless if Harper ends up on the Dodgers. 

Right. It would pretty much have to be a straight up salary dump (which he's not really get paid anything too crazy). Just depends on how desperate the Dodgers are to open that spot on the roster, free up some cash, and get rid of Puig's personality if they truly are sick of him. You'd have to think a team would offer something decent for him though.

They will 

3 minutes ago, Sockin said:

They will if they strike out on other free agents. I’d bet that the Dodgers wouldn’t require that big of a return. 

Plus the Sox need marketable names. Fans are starting to get restless. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Something to keep an eye on is McCutchen’s contract is incredibly backloaded. Only 10 mil for this year.

I saw that and didn't even know what to think there. What's your interpretation?

Just now, whitesoxwinner said:

Nightengale is the only one saying this. No reason to get down guys. For every nightengale there are 10 guys saying we're front runners and have offered a substantial contract.

This was not a bad article for the white sox.

Just now, whitesoxwinner said:

Nightengale is the only one saying this. No reason to get down guys. For every nightengale there are 10 guys saying we're front runners and have offered a substantial contract.

I actually think it’s good if they haven’t offered a deal yet.  At face value, would mean that they didn’t get told it’s too low.

1 minute ago, chetkincaid said:

They will 

They will if they strike out on other free agents. I’d bet that the Dodgers wouldn’t require that big of a return. 

Plus the Sox need marketable names. Fans are starting to get restless. 

Hahn has already said they aren't looking for short term fixes. They are not going to trade for someone with one year of control when they know they won't be competing next year. They're much more likely to sign a Brantley or a Pollock IMO before they would trade for Puig. 

Just now, Sockin said:

Hahn has already said they aren't looking for short term fixes. They are not going to trade for someone with one year of control when they know they won't be competing next year. They're much more likely to sign a Brantley or a Pollock IMO before they would trade for Puig. 

He also said he doesn’t want to sign players that might block prospects in 3 or so years.