Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

7 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

I would ask them why they are out. Hahn spoke of this offseason as being a chance to add major impact talent. There is still impact talent out there to sign. The Sox flew people out to Vegas to meet with him in December. Why were they interested then but not now? 

He will just say the opportunity just wasnt available and the timing isn't right at this point. There will be more opportunities in the future to spend the money. 

Just now, GordonsWalkupSong said:

Rendon is great and I'd love for the Sox to pay him but I'd be stunned if he doesn't sign an extension this season. Probably similar to Arenado's but 7 years.

Indeed.  It’s funny how by next offseason there could be zero good free agent position players available.  Sox fans [and Hahn] who are defending the decision to not give $300 million guaranteed to Machado and claim there will be other targets to go after with that money are running out of options already for next offseason.

• Like 1

If there's any positive to this situation, at least Arenado signed the contract extension while Harper is still on the board as a possibility. The Sox would have been in a real bind looking forward if Harper signed elsewhere first and then Arenado extended.

Give Bryce what he wants. He's worth it and then some. It's simple.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Indeed.  It’s funny how by next offseason there could be zero good free agent position players available.  Sox fans [and Hahn] who are defending the decision to not give $300 million guaranteed to Machado and claim there will be other targets to go after with that money are running out of options already for next offseason.

What are you talking about? Zero good free agent position players available? You might want to look at that list again.

8 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

If there's any positive to this situation, at least Arenado signed the contract extension while Harper is still on the board as a possibility. The Sox would have been in a real bind looking forward if Harper signed elsewhere first and then Arenado extended.

Give Bryce what he wants. He's worth it and then some. It's simple.

Except you can say the exact same thing for the Phillies.  They're 100% in win-now mode, and have a bit of an issue in the outfield...and that's putting it lightly, once you get past McCutcheon, who has been trending downward for going on three years now.

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

What are you talking about? Zero good free agent position players available? You might want to look at that list again.

If you look at Bogaerts, Rendon and Goldschmidt, at least one of those is likely to re-up with their respective organizations.

Same thing with JD Martinez, especially if they win another World Series in Boston.

There are probably five outfielders that are intriguing for RF, but there's simply no guarantee they will be any better than Rutherford/Gonzalez/Adolfo/Basabe if you factor in the opportunity cost.

We NEED pitching, a veteran starter...the opportunities are more abundant there, if JR will okay the signing of a contract for over $68.5 million (well, once you get past Verlander, who will be season+option or season to season at this point, and only choosing teams that are built to contend from Day 1.)

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

I already did.  Who is knocking your socks off in this list?

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-free-agents-for-2020-2021-and-2022/c-302396056

B0D391D9-3295-43E8-B67D-95BB12FB0E86.png

You could field an entire starting lineup of good to great players with the free agents available next winter.

C - Grandal

1b - Goldschmidt

2b - Gennett

SS - Bogaerts

3b - Rendon

LF - Ozuna

CF - Martin (by far the weakest position in the class)

RF - Puig

DH - JDM

How can you say zero good position players available? Are all those guys signing extensions over the next 8 months?

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yep. Severely underrated and might actually be able to get a “discount” on him because lack of name recognition.

I think he ends up resigning with the Nats, but if not I doubt you get much of a discount and you’ll have to pay him into his mid 30’s.  That’s problem with most of the big name free agents next offseason, age wise they just don’t fit the rebuild very well.

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yep. Severely underrated and might actually be able to get a “discount” on him because lack of name recognition.

Like Lilian and her LH hitters, I wouldn't be shocked to see Yasiel Puig brought on board for name/marketing purposes.

Although knowing Hahn, it will be Castellanos, whose season stats are skewed by getting to hit against White Sox pitching so much.

Would be okay with Ozuna as well, but he's so erratic, they might be better off just waiting for one of the other five outfielders not named Jimenez/Robert to claim RF.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You are banking on waiting a year for a guy who may be extended by then.  Bogaerts is another likely extension waiting to happen.  And I hope you don’t want to sign a 32 year old Goldschmidt to a big deal.  We already have an aging and declining first baseman.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I think he ends up resigning with the Nats, but if not I doubt you get much of a discount and you’ll have to pay him into his mid 30’s.  That’s problem with most of the big name free agents next offseason, age wise they just don’t fit the rebuild very well.

Personally, I don’t think they are ready to make a splash in free agency until 2020/2021. I can’t imagine the Sox will field competitive teams over the next two seasons so why pay big money to a FA in a season in which they’ll be lucky to win 80 games? I know they can’t add all FA’s in one offseason but ideally I think they start in 2020/2021 and then add a significant piece or two each winter from there.

11 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Until you consider front offices are comprised of not even obsessive "fantasy/sabes" fans, but professionals paid hundreds of thousands to extract value where it's available.

Rendon is most definitely on the Big Board of at least 8-10 teams.

Philly will be the first one, since they didn't convert on Machado and are stuck with Franco now.

Edited by caulfield12

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You could field an entire starting lineup of good to great players with the free agents available next winter.

C - Grandal

1b - Goldschmidt

2b - Gennett

SS - Bogaerts

3b - Rendon

LF - Ozuna

CF - Martin (by far the weakest position in the class)

RF - Puig

DH - JDM

How can you say zero good position players available? Are all those guys signing extensions over the next 8 months?

Because the majority are 30+ year old players who are complementary pieces and/or are not stars in their own right like Harper.  Harper is a 26 year old star and perfectly fits in with the Sox youth movement for years to come.  These guys don’t.  It seems pretty obvious to me.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

You are banking on waiting a year for a guy who may be extended by then.  Bogaerts is another likely extension waiting to happen.  And I hope you don’t want to sign a 32 year old Goldschmidt to a big deal.  We already have an aging and declining first baseman.

Harper was likely to be extended by the Nats too and here we are. What makes you think Bogaerts likely gets extended? Boras is his agent. Goldschmidt is declining? 5.1 fwar last year is pretty solid for a declining player.

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Harper was likely to be extended by the Nats too and here we are. What makes you think Bogaerts likely gets extended? Boras is his agent. Goldschmidt is declining? 5.1 fwar last year is pretty solid for a declining player.

It seems pretty clear that Boston will keep at least one of Martinez and Bogaerts...can't remember if Jackie Bradley's due for FA, it's either after this year or next, we've been linked to him for probably about 3 years but they might as well let it all ride on the shoulders of Luis Robert.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Personally, I don’t think they are ready to make a splash in free agency until 2020/2021. I can’t imagine the Sox will field competitive teams over the next two seasons so why pay big money to a FA in a season in which they’ll be lucky to win 80 games? I know they can’t add all FA’s in one offseason but ideally I think they start in 2020/2021 and then add a significant piece or two each winter from there.

I just think that is a bad plan.  Moncada & Lopez are free agents after the 2023 season.  Waiting until 2021 to compete means we have a three year window.  We really can’t afford to wait that long.  That’s the whole reason Machado (or Harper) was so important, because it jumps start the rebuild and helps us not just waste service of all our young guys while we slowly add around them.

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

Because the majority are 30+ year old players who are complementary pieces and/or are not stars in their own right like Harper.  Harper is a 26 year old star and perfectly fits in with the Sox youth movement for years to come.  These guys don’t.  It seems pretty obvious to me.

Complementary pieces many of which have had a higher WAR than megastar Harper over the last 3 seasons. Perhaps Harper is the complementary piece (but paid like a megastar).

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Okay, fine.  Bogaerts hits free agency.  Do you think he is a Sox target with Anderson locked up?  Nope.

You really want to pay big money to add a 32 year old first baseman to an extremely young core of players?  You will be paying for his declining years.  Good luck with that.