Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I guess I’m thinking more of any mid market / medium sized payroll team. Heck if the Sox has Lester’s deal it would be another albatross 

That’s what people are failing to recognize. A mega deal for a mid market team is a far greater risk than for a team like the Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers. Mid market teams that sign guys to mega deals rarely succeed even when said player is a stud (Belle - WS, Arod - Rangers, Cano - Mariners, Votto - Reds, Stanton - Marlins, etc)

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just to maintain some optimism, good ole Jim Leyritz also reported Cole to the Yankees was a sure thing last offseason.

I don't know his track record, just that his error helped the Sox beat the Yankees while not getting a hit. And the 9th inning wasn't even a save situation. 

But there isn't a guy out there that hasn't got some wrong.

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Based on the 20% tariff thrown out on these threads, is he really worth $42MM AAV? Hard pass for me. 

Well, 10/350 beats that Yankees offer  aav and total contract.

Would that be enough?  Probably not.

Re the rumors, it would seem that the national guys could get at least a denial from the Yankees if it weren't true.  But then again, Dick Clark is an Australian blogger, and they just may not bother with what he has to say.

Edited by GreenSox

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

That’s what people are failing to recognize. A mega deal for a mid market team is a far greater risk than for a team like the Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers. Mid market teams that sign guys to mega deals rarely succeed even when said player is a stud (Belle - WS, Arod - Rangers, Cano - Mariners, Votto - Reds, Stanton - Marlins, etc)

The free agents didn’t sink those rosters, player development and drafting/intl did.

Also...Votto?

6 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

The Sox should and will beat 8/275 IMO.

I would offer more overall money with more years but I would go much over the 35 mil AAV. Maybe offer 10/350. That's 75 million more, that's a significant amount.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

“Putting his blogging or whatever he does career on the line”.  😂 😂😂

Lives are at stake!

Trying to scoop sports news should be a felony.  Just STFU and wait for the teams to announce news. Why do we need speculative Pre-News before News?  

I do find it hilarious. The whole MLB offseason has turned into this quest for social media status. Take a look at this site, everyone and their brother has a source this offseason.

It seems the plan is to break a story, gain followers and start blogging like you now have more baseball knowledge because you were told something that someone else knew.

I guess it's not that new, but it has grown rampantly over the last couple of years.

Edited by shakes
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I would offer more overall money with more years but I would go much over the 35 mil AAV. Maybe offer 10/350. That's 75 million more, that's a significant amount.

yep, have to make it an offer he can't refuse.  8/275, by the Yankees, would be a really strong offer that Manny should take in all honesty.

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Unlike other mid market teams, the White Sox always have the possibility of upgrading to a large market if they play their cards right. Bringing one of these guys in, especially Harper IMO would be a big step.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Unlike other mid market teams, the White Sox always have the possibility of upgrading to a large market if they play their cards right. Bringing one of these guys in, especially Harper IMO would be a big step.

they also have a ton of controllable young pieces, which I'm not sure those other teams had.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That’s debatable with the Cubs playing across town. I do agree that Harper would be a great signing for the reason you mention. Manny doesn’t have that same type of impact, though, which is why I’m hoping the Sox pass on him.

If giving Alonso $9 million is no big deal, why would giving Manny an extra $9 million ten times for an additional $90 million if it meant the difference between signing him or not?

It's not my money. But I' d rather have Manny and a guy making minimum than Alonso and a mid tier free agent.

• Like 1

If giving Alonso $9 million is no big deal, why would giving Manny an extra $9 million ten times for an additional $90 million if it meant the difference between signing him or not?

It's not my money. But I' d rather have Manny and a guy making minimum than Alonso and a mid tier free agent.

Well, Alonso has at most a 2 year deal. You’re comparing a similar expenditure for 9 years.

• Like 1

I’m not following you here? People are saying it would take $40-42MM AAV for 8-10 years for the Sox to sign Machado. How is that comparable to $9MM for one year of Alonso?

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

That’s debatable with the Cubs playing across town. I do agree that Harper would be a great signing for the reason you mention. Manny doesn’t have that same type of impact, though, which is why I’m hoping the Sox pass on him.

No question.  But the question is do you just accept it or try to change it?

I am voting for trying something different. 7 out of 8 losing seasons with no end in sight has me flustered. 

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This is why I would go higher on a deal for Harper but would pass on Machado for that price.

No question.  But the question is do you just accept it or try to change it?

I am voting for trying something different. 7 out of 8 losing seasons with no end in sight has me flustered. 

Oh yea, I’m all for signing Harper. That’s how you change the perception. I am avoiding Manny like the plague though. That’s my opinion, not trying to convince anyone to agree with me.

I’m also pointing that not all is lost if they miss out on these guys as Chisoxfn stated and in some ways may actually be a blessing in disguise for a mid market franchise like the Sox.

2 minutes ago, iamshack said:

Well, Alonso has at most a 2 year deal. You’re comparing a similar expenditure for 9 years.

So what? I would think if $9 million is nothing now, it will be nothing down the line. And chances are it will eventually  be someone else's problem either through trade or shift in ownership down the line. Except for Pujols who is immovable most of the giant contract guys eventually find their way to other teams. Will the money really look bad 5 years from now?

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Because it's the amount of money over 10 years as opposed to one year. Yonder will not be part of the team when they are competitive. He is a decent player for a place holder and a bribe for Manny. 

1 minute ago, justBLAZE said:

But production and fit also come into play.

There are so many holes on this roster right now that finding a fit for Harper is my last concern. The current OF situation is a far bigger mess than the infield situation. Yes, I understand that they have a dozen OF prospects in the minors but that can be used as trade currency to fill other holes like the starting rotation, which is also a mess.

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic