Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, he kind already is.  Most Orioles think he is full of shit based on his track record, mlbtraderumors won’t even run his “report”, and one the most respected journalists (who local ties no less) has blocked him.  I guess I don’t see a lot of downside for him, but maybe that’s just me.

Agreed. You don’t become much of a joke if you don’t have very far to fall. People will mock him a bit if Machado signs elsewhere, but then they’ll forget until the next time he does this. 

Even then, given how many scoops have come from reddit, twitter users with few followers, and other message boards, it’s hard to truly discount someone that claims to have information. A certain percentage of folks will always believe. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Trying to be as unbiased as possible, I just don’t know why the Yankees would offer Machado a huge contract. I know that every team would be better with him on the roster, but they already have so much good young infield talent already. 

Why not spend that money on adding some big name starting pitchers?

I think the biggest offer we see from the Yankees to Machado is something like 7-year, $200 million.

I agree 100%. I feel like they would be much better off signing a second baseman like Jed Lowrie on a 1 year deal and going after Dallas Keuchel to beef up their rotation. Going after those 2 makes the Yankees a better team than if they were to spend huge money on just Machado in my opinion.

Edited by Whitesox27

I suspect that the Yankees are attempting to take advantage of Machado's openly professed preference to play for his life long favorite team. In that New York doesn't really need him, their front office is probably not going to be offering the most money. My hope is that this tactic will help to not only steer Macado toward the Sox, but also to tarnish his infatuation with the Yankees. It would be great if he signed with us and then carried a "chip on his shoulder" against New York. 

In any case, I don't see him signing with the Phillies, unless they offer significantly more money than the Sox. There are too many positive elements, all of which have been discussed here, to make Manny prefer the Sox, to the Phillies.

13 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I agree 100%. I feel like they would be much better off signing a second baseman like Jed Lowrie on a 1 year deal and going after Dallas Keuchel to beef up their rotation. Going after those 2 makes the Yankees a better team than if they were to spend huge money on just Machado in my opinion.

Yeah I like the Lowrie idea (and liked them as a fit for Murphy as well before he signes). Lowrie at least helps balance out a righty heavy lineup being a switch hitter. He's also just a good player in general. That ballpark would feel so small to him having played a lot of his career in Oakland lol and without Didi, I'm pretty sure the only lefty bats are Gardner and Hicks.

Edited by soxfan2014

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

What other smoke are you referring to?  Simonetti Source?

Clark, Simonetti, Leyritz and Sox interest in DH, as well as the complete lack of any reporter being able to confirm it’s not true. Just a guess, but I predict the news breaks  on Jan 2nd he has an agreement with Yankees for 8/275 and has a press conference on Jan 7th in NY.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

So he’s not unlike Bruce Levine, Phil Rogers, Bob Nightengale, any White Sox beat reporter. They all get slammed here, yet we have  numerous threads that are based on their reporting. 

There really isn’t one guy who hasn’t been slammed before. 

People get things wrong, but this guy is  putting his blogging or whatever he does career on the line with his tweet. Maybe to him it’s worth the risk , but I really don’t see what ultimately he gains by being right here. It won’t put him on a national stage and make him millions. Being wrong will basically ruin this portion of his life. That is why I believe he is telling the truth

“Putting his blogging or whatever he does career on the line”.  😂 😂😂

Lives are at stake!

Trying to scoop sports news should be a felony.  Just STFU and wait for the teams to announce news. Why do we need speculative Pre-News before News?  

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Clark, Simonetti, Leyritz and Sox interest in DH, as well as the complete lack of any reporter being able to confirm it’s not true. Just a guess, but I predict the news breaks  on Jan 2nd he has an agreement with Yankees for 8/275 and has a press conference on Jan 7th in NY.

If its 8/275, I don't blame the Sox for not beating that by a significant margin. He would not be worth 40 million AAV.

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Lives are at stake!

Trying to scoop sports news should be a felony.  Just STFU and wait for the teams to announce news. Why do we need speculative Pre-News before News?  

Damn reporters, reporting.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

If Leyritz is correct, I don’t think there is a chance this holds until Wednesday.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

If its 8/275, I don't blame the Sox for not beating that by a significant margin. He would not be worth 40 million AAV.

Then we all may as well accept we’re never going to land a top tier FA. Why go through the bidding process knowing we have to significantly outbid a more well known, well respected franchise? 

Either we’re going to have to draft our own Manny Machado, or trade for him on the back end of his career

2 minutes ago, iamshack said:

If Leyritz is correct, I don’t think there is a chance this holds until Wednesday.

It could make some sense as you have people back in the offices the next few days and the contract is finalized this week and the press conference to follow the next Monday.

1 minute ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Then we all may as well accept we’re never going to land a top tier FA. Why go through the bidding process knowing we have to significantly outbid a more well known, well respected franchise? 

Either we’re going to have to draft our own Manny Machado, or trade for him on the back end of his career

You mean like never signing an Albert Belle? The case with Manny has more to do with someone who has professed a desire to play for one team. If the Yankmees came up with at least a decent deal, he was going to take it. There comes a point where it just isn't worth the capital for the player.

This is not the same scenario for Harper, if I were the Sox I would go significantly higher for him. However, in my view, I wouldn't for Machado.

To play devils advocate what teams rebuild in recent years was significantly jump started by signing a major free agent to a long term deal? If these guys don’t sign, it isn’t the end of the world.  I really think this team could benefit from more shorter term deals while other youth hopefully develops.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

It could make some sense as you have people back in the offices the next few days and the contract is finalized this week and the press conference to follow the next Monday.

I suspect some of these national guys may try to confirm this now. I guess you may be right about an official announcement, but I’d be surprised if none of the national guys try weigh in on this until Wednesday. One would think they could confirm Leyritz statement about the signature just being needed.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

To play devils advocate what teams rebuild in recent years was significantly jump started by signing a major free agent to a long term deal? If these guys don’t sign, it isn’t the end of the world.  I really think this team could benefit from more shorter term deals while other youth hopefully develops.

Didn't the Cubs do that with Lester?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Lives are at stake!

His livelihood could be at stake.

As for first to report, I don't get the fascination. But I guess if you get one or two under your belt, your Twitter makes you a little money. As far as I can tell no one really is keeping score. I do admit I like a good scoop as much as anyone.

But like with anything else, when someone misses, if you like them,  things are constantly changing. If you don't they are a fraud just making things up for clicks.

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic