Jump to content

Machado signs with Padres 10/300


yesterday333

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's how I read it, just that their offer wasn't one that was so good that they actually wanted to sign it.

Yeah I thought it was good news. I really have a hard time believing that there are other teams that will offer high value, long term offers other than the white sox and phillies. It's also why I just can't see waiting changing improving the situation for either player and hope it wraps up by mid week next week at latest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He has, and I have enjoyed his posts. But this winter he has taken on some sort of insider role, even calling people out for being silly. Yet, this is the silliest thing in Soxtalk history.

Dan Lozano is not going to deliver Bryce Harper to the White Sox.

You should read the 4K words I wrote about this. That’s not what I suggest would happen at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bmags said:

Yeah I thought it was good news. I really have a hard time believing that there are other teams that will offer high value, long term offers other than the white sox and phillies. It's also why I just can't see waiting changing improving the situation for either player and hope it wraps up by mid week next week at latest.

In my eyes, this is like an Olympic 10k where no one wants to be the leader, and the pace has been super slow because of it.  Sure the Sox are in the lead, but they are putting up 70 second splits. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

In my eyes, this is like an Olympic 10k where no one wants to be the leader, and the pace has been super slow because of it.  Sure the Sox are in the lead, but they are putting up 70 second splits. 

yep, it's a pretty great situation to be in IF you're not at your final offer.  If you are at your final offer and trying to run out the clock, then that's a scary situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

In my eyes, this is like an Olympic 10k where no one wants to be the leader, and the pace has been super slow because of it.  Sure the Sox are in the lead, but they are putting up 70 second splits. 

For FA in general, has there been a free agent that has regretted jumping the market for a deal?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I've learned is that I ever become a high-powered sports agent I will hire an intern every year to monitor team message boards and send me details while I laugh hysterically at the conspiracy theories. This whole thing has been a major pain in the ass, but it has also provided moments of hilarity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Right...why would they stop negotiating with him?

This has been going on for nearly two months. While the parties certainly stay in contact, they aren’t exchanging new figures every other day. “What if I raise my offer by $3.5 million? Does that change your mind?” 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, fathom said:

yep, it's a pretty great situation to be in IF you're not at your final offer.  If you are at your final offer and trying to run out the clock, then that's a scary situation.

good way of putting it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, iamshack said:

This has been going on for nearly two months. While the parties certainly stay in contact, they aren’t exchanging new figures every other day. “What if I raise my offer by $3.5 million? Does that change your mind?” 

Yeah, sometimes waiting them out is the most effective negotiation technique and it seems like that is where we have been for a while now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, skooch said:

One thing I've learned is that I ever become a high-powered sports agent I will hire an intern every year to monitor team message boards and send me details while I laugh hysterically at the conspiracy theories. This whole thing has been a major pain in the ass, but it has also provided moments of hilarity.

BOILER THE F UP!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

WARNING: WALL OF TEXT INCOMING!

So personally I don't believe the theories about having Machado signed already and I don't think we would even try hard to get both unless their markets are even worse than we have heard, but I did just think of something that could make it possible. With the new swell-opt contracts it is basically assumed that if the player continues to perform that the team will opt in to the extension and higher amount. But I wonder if there is a case to get both of the guys on contracts with swell-opts in the same year to give the team a ton of flexibility (or at least a lot more than signing both outright). If there isn't payroll room to fit both raises, the team could simply choose to only opt in to one contract, with which being selected depending on past and projected production as well as possible alternatives both internally and externally. So say we get both and then after 3 years when the opt-in deadline comes around we have a glut of great outfield prospects, then we could opt-in with Machado and not with Harper which would put him in the position of either opting out (which would be okay if we have a replacement) or staying at a lower than expected salary (in which case we save money over the projected salary for those years). If this were to happen it would give us both for the years where we could easily fit both salaries in our payroll while also either getting out of one of the contracts or getting it at a lower than expected rate for the back half of the contract. The players would get a higher guarantee than a short term contract while also having upside and a chance to opt out if they are playing well but we can't afford them and the whole time they would likely be on a good team because getting both guys would likely be a huge impact especially in our division.

TL;DR - I made a reasonable conspiracy where both guys sign contracts with similar swell-opts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So let’s get a topic going - 

sox somehow manage to freeze hell over and sign both Harper and machado. What’s our outlook? Financially how do we look? Do we launch our team Into top 10 fandoms? 

 

I mean without being being negative and let’s be realistic here, we know we CAN sign both but what are the odds? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kpet1010 said:

So let’s get a topic going - 

sox somehow manage to freeze hell over and sign both Harper and machado. What’s our outlook? Financially how do we look? Do we launch our team Into top 10 fandoms? 

 

I mean without being being negative and let’s be realistic here, we know we CAN sign both but what are the odds? 

Less odds than the Cincinnati Bengals winning a Super Bowl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kpet1010 said:

So let’s get a topic going - 

sox somehow manage to freeze hell over and sign both Harper and machado. What’s our outlook? Financially how do we look? Do we launch our team Into top 10 fandoms? 

 

I mean without being being negative and let’s be realistic here, we know we CAN sign both but what are the odds? 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-white-sox/yearly/payroll/

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I said it last time this happened, in all of the years that shack has been on Soxtalk, he never has once given me a reason to think him a liar or con artist.  I 100% believe that he believes 100% that what he has been told is the truth.

Appreciate the kind words ss2k. Both times. 

Tbh, part of my hesitation in not sharing more detailed info is because it’s not really mine to share. It feels very lame even writing someone else’s information as your own. But as I said earlier, I believe what some folks,  who would have every reason to know, have told me, and at times, I come here and interject that. 

Im sorry it comes off as me being a know-it-all or having some air of importance, that’s not my intention. Just sharing what I believe to be true based on what people shared with me for the possible benefit of the group. 

I’m piecing this stuff together just like everyone else here.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Kpet1010 said:

So let’s get a topic going - 

sox somehow manage to freeze hell over and sign both Harper and machado. What’s our outlook? Financially how do we look? Do we launch our team Into top 10 fandoms? 

 

I mean without being being negative and let’s be realistic here, we know we CAN sign both but what are the odds? 

They better hope they have answers everywhere else in house

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hahaha, do people really, REALLY believe if Machado had a deal in principle or verbal or whatever it wouldn't get out?  So the White Sox could cartoonishly slyly get Harper to agree to terms before Boras found out?

>Just after Machado agrees

Hahn: H-hey Scott, 8/260 is our final offer

Boras: No

Hahn: My phone has 2% battery, w-well do 8/275, not a cent more.

Boras: Are you done with Manny then?

Hahn: Okay my phones dead nevermind byeee

 

Edited by BackDoorBreach
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So my friend's cousin who works for the Sox as a buyer (she's in charge of buying merchandise for the shops so obviously, she would know if something was about to happen) texted him: "Get ready for an announcement on Friday" only to be told just kidding 5 minutes later. That killed me lol no one with that much power should ever abuse it like that.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Hahaha, do people really, REALLY believe if Machado had a deal in principle or verbal or whatever it wouldn't get out?  So the White Sox could cartoonishly slyly get Machado to agree to terms before Boras found out?

>Just after Machado agrees

Hahn: H-hey Scott, 8/260 is our final offer

Boras: No

Hahn: My phone has 2% battery, w-well do 8/275, not a cent more.

Boras: Are you done with Manny then?

Hahn: Okay my phones dead nevermind byeee

 

I think if they honestly wanted to sign both, they’d need to either do it the old fashioned way, or try and be transparent about their intentions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, iamshack said:

Appreciate the kind words ss2k. Both times. 

Tbh, part of my hesitation in not sharing more detailed info is because it’s not really mine to share. It feels very lame even writing someone else’s information as your own. But as I said earlier, I believe what some folks,  who would have every reason to know, have told me, and at times, I come here and interject that. 

Im sorry it comes off as me being a know-it-all or having some air of importance, that’s not my intention. Just sharing what I believe to be true based on what people shared with me for the possible benefit of the group. 

I’m piecing this stuff together just like everyone else here.

Keep sharing Shack, god knows we've seen enough of Machado's "brothers and cousins" and Cats that we can't complain about a longtime board member sharing what he's heard.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...