2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

Larry
1:03
Last week I asked how many college starters can grade out better than Nick Lodolo (you said 3-5).  Can you name those pitchers?

Keith Law
1:03
I can.

1:05
Oh, did you want me to do it now? Just in this draft class, Lacy, Hancock, Meyer, and Detmers for sure. Omitting Ginn since he's out with 'stiffness,' and I see a few others who could get there but I wouldn't feel strongly enough to list right now.

I almost got snarked.

More Law draft stuff. Also I think I'm very in on Meyer.

Ryan

1:22

I saw your tweet of the video of Zac Veen. That is a smooth looking swing. What is his draft outlook?

Keith Law

1:24

Top ten pick. Maybe the first HS player off the board. It's a weak HS pitching draft - Kelley, Bitsko, Abel are the only clear first rounders right now, although I heard Justin Lange hit 100 last week - so I think it'll be extremely college heavy up top. Veen is the best bet to break the college streak up top.

Paul

1:18

What are the odds Nick Gonzales can go as high as #1 at this point?

Keith Law

1:18

5% or less. Has to pass Torkelson and Martin and maybe Lacy too.

Nate

1:36

is max Meyer a starter long term?

Keith Law

1:36

I don't see why not.

Brad

1:41

More or less - 30% chance that Garrett Mitchell from UCLA slips out of the first round entirely?

Keith Law

I'd say a bit more. The diabetes will scare a lot of teams off.

O's fan

Trying to convince myself into Tork assuming Detroit takes Martin first. Is he really good enough as a R/R 1B to take #2 overall?

Keith Law

1:42

It sounds like it, and I feel very confident he'll go 2 if he doesn't go 1 (but I don't assume Martin goes first).

Also, my streak of seeing Tigers scouting director Scott Pleis continued. He was at Veen/Crews last night. I saw him at Lacy's outing last Friday and Hancock the week before.

Edited by DirtySox

2 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

A friend of the MLB Draft subreddit, who we’re doing an AMA with later this year said that Garrett Mitchell is the fav to go 1-1. 

Law wasn't exactly glowing in his Mitchell write-up a few days ago. I'd be pretty surprised if he was in the 1-1 mix.

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Law wasn't exactly glowing in his Mitchell write-up a few days ago. I'd be pretty surprised if he was in the 1-1 mix.

UCLA center fielder Garrett Mitchell showed 80 speed in the Bruins’ romp over Oklahoma State in the opening game in Frisco, but the same questions about his bat remain. Mitchell did reach base three times on hard-hit groundballs, showing off his ridiculous foot speed. He was fooled by changing pitch speeds at the plate and met the ball too far out front on several of his swings; there’s some extraneous movement before he starts his stride, but I think it’s just cosmetic and doesn’t seem to affect his timing or weight transfer. He’s a plus defender in center and could end up even better than that just given his pure speed, which probably makes him a first-rounder even in this loaded class, but he doesn’t look like he’ll have more than average power and his contact rate probably needs to be higher to make him a regular.

Edited by DirtySox

10 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Should the sox draft college to fit the 2020-2026 window timeline better? Or not worry about this and juat get the guy they like most?

I foresee one more college arm at 11 then prep heavy.  Might be the last chance to draft a potential starter to add to the current window, assuming of course that they aren't picking this high again for while.  Start stocking the system with prep players round 2 onward to continue building the next wave of talent.  

Edited by SouthWallace
  • Like 1