2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

7 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

And if it keeps up, it seems like there will be a lot of them going in the top 10. I really want Ed Howard or Kjerstad at this point

It's gonna be fun to see how it all shakes out. I currently have 6 college pitchers going in the top 10 and that doesn't include Ginn (I'm not optimistic) , Crochet or Cavalli.  I love Ed but I really want one of these college pitchers.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

And if it keeps up, it seems like there will be a lot of them going in the top 10. I really want Ed Howard or Kjerstad at this point

Don't disagree with you, in fact I want Kjerstad as well, but what's the thinking here? That a bunch of good arms will leave good bats available at 11?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's gonna be fun to see how it all shakes out. I currently have 6 college pitchers going in the top 10 and that doesn't include Ginn (I'm not optimistic) , Crochet or Cavalli.  I love Ed but I really want one of these college pitchers.  

If Crochet is healthy, still in the high 90s, and available at 11 they should take him. They really need a high impact LHP. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Don't disagree with you, in fact I want Kjerstad as well, but what's the thinking here? That a bunch of good arms will leave good bats available at 11?

Yeah, the arms are doing so well (obviously early) that fewer may get to us than expected. However, if Kjerstad has an amazing year, he'll probably be taken before us anyway in lieu of one of the pitchers. IMO, it all bodes well for Ed Howard (or someone comparable in HS) being there for us

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Like 2

On 2/22/2020 at 1:08 PM, Jose Abreu said:

Yeah, the arms are doing so well (obviously early) that fewer may get to us than expected. However, if Kjerstad has an amazing year, he'll probably be taken before us anyway in lieu of one of the pitchers. IMO, it all bodes well for Ed Howard (or someone comparable in HS) being there for us

Which bodes well for Hahn, who I think has been entering the season in hopes of adding first round HS talent for at least 2 years now...Couldn't pass on Vaughn and Madrigal

• Like 1

If there’s any team that has the ability to locate the HS pitching version of Mike Trout, it’s the White Sox at #11.  I love the idea of going HS pitching the first three rounds.  That would give us 5 HS pitchers out of our top 6 picks over two years.  Gettin it done, son!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Sox haven't drafted a HS pitcher in the first round since 2001 and with such an incredibly deep pool of college arms I don't think this is the year to change that.  Draft one next year when they will presumably have a later pick.  

And just when I was starting to forget about Kris Honel...

I don't know that sox should try to have a profile player at 11. I like as a fan using the profile approach for top 5-6 picks because when you are that high you can get the kind of athletes with some baseball skills that are rare to find behind it. But at 11 you don't know how draft will shake out.

With this draft the way it is, we just have to wait to see what's left of the college pitching crop after injuries and helium. Maybe a college hitter makes sense in that the elite college pitching crop pushes a normally top 5-6 hitter downward. Maybe the teams in the top ten don't want to go college pitcher due to state of rebuild and a guy we don't think is available falls.

We need more athleticism and there are some 2nd round prep infielders that sound great. Not sure we need to address that with our top pick.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't know that sox should try to have a profile player at 11. I like as a fan using the profile approach for top 5-6 picks because when you are that high you can get the kind of athletes with some baseball skills that are rare to find behind it. But at 11 you don't know how draft will shake out.

With this draft the way it is, we just have to wait to see what's left of the college pitching crop after injuries and helium. Maybe a college hitter makes sense in that the elite college pitching crop pushes a normally top 5-6 hitter downward. Maybe the teams in the top ten don't want to go college pitcher due to state of rebuild and a guy we don't think is available falls.

We need more athleticism and there are some 2nd round prep infielders that sound great. Not sure we need to address that with our top pick.

I think it will be a prep player at #11 

29 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think it will be a prep player at #11 

That is a bizarre decision unless what this really means is "sox are enamored with this prep player and are going to make sure they get him"

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

That is a bizarre decision unless what this really means is "sox are enamored with this prep player and are going to make sure they get him"

I don't think it's bizarre at all. They'll be much more prep focused under Shirley. I'd rather have the best HS pitcher or best HS SS than the 4th best college arm probably. The college hitters will rise and push talent down the board. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't think it's bizarre at all. They'll be much more prep focused under Shirley. I'd rather have the best HS pitcher or best HS SS than the 4th best college arm probably. The college hitters will rise and push talent down the board. 

There's a good chance 4-5 of these guys are better than last years top college arm Nick Lodolo.  If I can get one of them at pick 11 there is no way I'm passing on that.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

There's a good chance 4-5 of these guys are better than last years top college arm Nick Lodolo.  If I can get one of them at pick 11 there is no way I'm passing on that.  

Agreed. I don't see the Sox passing on it either. The contention window is open, a college arm will be in close proximity to the majors, and a college arm will probably be the BPA at 11 anyways. I'm hoping for a similar pick structure to 2019. College guy in the 1st, then plenty of prep picks after.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

But it's all relative to year. I think Shirley will be more prep focused, but that doesn't have to mean he goes all prep for 10 rounds. It's not hard to be more prep-focused than Hostetler.

7 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Preach. Been clamoring for a prep guy for a while. Get the lower level talent in order. Sox are way too top heavy. I'm okay with them going prep afterwards if they do take a college guy at #11 too, but I'd much rather see a highly touted kid who is a top 5-10 talent in the draft from all scouting/reports go to us.

Edited by SoxAce

On 7/23/2019 at 11:26 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The UA Game was very disappointing but these events usually are as the pitchers have such an unfair advantage.  There were a few position players who were able to stand out despite the rash of strike outs (34 by my count).

OF  Zac Veen is long and loose with a smooth LH stroke and plus power potential.  SS Warner Blakely oozes athleticism from his projectable 6'3" 185 frame. He has a chance for above avg raw.  C Drew Romo is a switch hitter with excellent bat to ball skills and very good actions behind the plate.  The power may not get to avg but the bat will still play.  We already knew about PCA (0-2 2 punchies and a BB) and Dylan Crews (0-4 4 punchies) who both looked awful.  

A couple pitchers really stood out.  LHP Nate Savino was 92-94 with a plus 75-76 curveball and excellent feel to pitch.  RHP Victor Medieros was 92-94  SL 82-83 cb 78-80 ch 85. He threw all 4 pitches for strikes which was good to see because he was terrible at this event last year.  Jared Jones 94-96 and Jared Kelly 94-97  were electric but we already knew that.  

Confirmed 8 months ago.  😉

• Like 1