2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

1 hour ago, Flash said:

D1 Baseball has him ranked #1 among OFs. .975 OPS last year. Hope he's still around at 11 but obviously wont be if he keeps this up.

Him moving up to a top ten player would be good for sox regardless.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 6:02 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

You may as well get ready now for the "he's a black player so Kenny Williams loves him" bullshit.  It's going to be fast and furious this year.  

Let's stoke this fire even more.

BA: Who is your favorite MLB team?

EH: White Sox. In the south side, I go to more White Sox games, I’ve been around them for a long time. I like their manager right now. So it’s just straight White Sox.

BA: Favorite player growing up or now?

EH: I always gravitate toward shortstops. So, usually with the White Sox with Alexei Ramirez when he was there, now I really like Tim Anderson a lot. I even like Javier Baez even though he’s with the Cubs. I like him too. Mainly shortstops.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/under-armour-all-america-game-is-a-homecoming-for-ed-howard/

Edited by DirtySox

BA's Stock Watch articles return. Pay-walled but some tidbits.

Emerson Hancock, RHP, Georgia

His footwork is impressive on the mound, helping his delivery, pickoff moves and ability to come off the rubber and field his position. Still, Hancock looked more like former Florida righthander Brady Singer than Auburn righthander Casey Mize.

The cons from this outing were a lack of swing-and-miss with his fastball and slider. The former got just one whiff as mentioned previously, while his slider got one swing-and-miss as well. His changeup was his most consistent chase pitch, and he got five whiffs with it.

Hancock has more than enough velocity to miss bats, but will a lower, three-quarter arm slot allow batters to pick him up sooner? And will that also make his slider a bit too slurvy at times?

Those are questions that were raised for evaluators in this outing, and teams will look to get answers to them throughout the spring. But it’s worth mentioning that it’s very early in the season and Hancock’s track record is much better than this. Don’t overreact too soon.

Max Meyer, RHP, Minnesota

Meyer threw five innings against Oregon and struck out seven batters in the process, walking three and allowing just one earned run. The stuff was just as electric as it’s ever been, with some scouts getting him as high as 101 mph at his best, with a slider in the 90-92 mph range. If Meyer combines that sort of stuff with that type of success throughout the spring, it’ll be tough to see him falling much further than the middle of the first round.

Zac Veen, OF, Spruce Creek HS, Port Orange, Fla.

Veen was the top-ranked prospect in a loaded Prep Baseball Report Preseason Classic field, which featured five prospects ranked among the top 65 in the country. Veen is getting the most chatter of that group, and could push himself into the top 10 picks this June.

Ryan Webb, LHP, Georgia

Webb stole the show on Friday night, relieving Hancock and throwing five outstanding innings. The 6-foot-1, 196-pound southpaw struck out a career-best 11 batters without allowing a run and showed off a four-pitch mix that should allow him to start at some point this season, if necessary, and in pro ball.

Webb sat mostly in the 88-92 mph range with his fastball, though he touched 94 early and consistently worked to his glove side with the pitch to get ahead in counts. He also showed excellent feel for a 75-80 mph curveball that had 1-to-7 shape and good depth. He got five swings-and-misses on the curve and used it against lefthanders and also used it effectively as a backdoor offering to righties.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2020-mlb-draft-stock-watch-big-year-for-draft-eligible-sophomores/

Edited by DirtySox

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Holy crap does this dude have a nice swing and he's 6'5"!?!  That's some serious projection going on right there.  

A 6-foot-5, 220-pound corner infielder, Walker has above-average power now and a chance for a lot more as he continues to develop physically and add strength to his frame. He has solid feel for the barrel and surprising athleticism considering his size. That athleticism has led some scouts to think he could stick at third base in the future, though first base is more likely in the long term. Walker is a heady, cerebral player committed to Duke.

Mock 2.0 via Baseball America. Pay-walled obviously. Will Share the top 11. Since the scout starts and they alternate, the scout is making the White Sox pick. This selection would certainly be a bit atypical for the Sox. Then again, I have no idea on Shirley's proclivities. Also including some picks I find interesting as far as where they fall.

While it’s still a bit too early to start linking teams to specific players with any real confidence, we wanted to make this mock draft a bit more valuable than just a thought experiment and our own best guesses at the moment.

So, for this mock, we’ve brought in an industry insider who is going to make alternating picks with me throughout the first round. Our scout is a front office executive who focuses on the draft at a national level.

1.) DET - Austin Martin

2.) BAL - Spencer Torkelson

3.) MIA - Asa Lacy

4.) KC - Nick Gonzales

5.) TOR - Emerson Hancock

6.) SEA - Garret Mitchell

7.) PIT - Reid Detmers

8.) SD - Zac Veen

9.) COL - JT Ginn

10.) LAA - Carmen Mlodzinski

11.) CWS - Jared Kelly

Refugio (Texas) HS RHP

It didn’t take too long for Kelley to get off the board, as our scout takes him with this pick. On talent, Kelley fits anywhere in the 6-10 range, but we have seen prep righthanders slide down the board on draft day. This is a moderate slide, to be sure, but there are a lot of college arms to compete with who have a better chance than Kelley to raise their stock this spring.

13.) SF - May Meyer

14.) TEX - Herston Kjerstad

19.) NYM - Garret Crochet

22.) WAS - Ed Howard

Edited by DirtySox

BA has Jared Kelley ranked #6 overall on their board for what it's worth. See below for a blurb if you want to get familiar.

Refugio (Texas) HS RHP

Notes:

Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 215 | B-T: R-R
Commit/Drafted: Texas
Age At Draft: 18.7

A man amongst boys in the high school class, Kelley is more physical than most prep pitchers—6-foot-3, 215 pounds—with more consistent fastball velocity—he regularly gets into the upper-90s—and remarkable control and command. Kelley pairs a swing-and-miss changeup with his fastball, and with improved consistency of a breaking ball, the Texas commit could be one of only a few high school prospects drafted among the top 10 picks.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

BA has Jared Kelley ranked #6 overall on their board for what it's worth. See below for a blurb if you want to get familiar.

Thanks for sharing.   Based on his scouting report like the upside.  Power pitcher with control not a bad combo.