GT: Tigers (27-54) @ White Sox (41-42), July 4

soxfan49

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

My point is right now the Sox can’t rely on him holding a spot next year when we’ll also have Cease & Kopech in their first full seasons.  Unless Lopez has a strong second half, he’s going to have an uphill battle to be in the 2020 rotation to start the season cause the Sox will a pair of starters from outside the organization to the mix.

We agree. From all indications he will be going into ST fighting for a position. But next spring he could find himself like Gio has and turn it around. We all hope Cease, Kopech, Gio and Lopez are 4/5 of our rotation next year. But all four are still question marks although Gio sure looks like he is on his way. 

18 minutes ago, wegner said:

From all accounts he asks for and gets extra time working with Darryl Boston on his defense.  Eloy wants to play the outfield and play it well.  I love his work ethic.

Is Darryl a defensive guru?

1 hour ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I really don't understand the hate for Lopez. You people give up on these players way too easily. He was the best pitcher on staff last year. He has it in him. Dude is going through a rut. Let him work it out during this next half.

He said to reporters today that we will see a different pitcher out of him during the second half. Lets see what happens

Lopez might be the worst starting pitcher in the league.  Who is worse?

4 minutes ago, oldsox said:

He has to be the worst but I still give him more time.  If he can be good for 5 innings before he falls apart, he’s still better than your average reliever.

Two quick points: 

1st - It's amazing how much better defensively Eloy has gotten in LF, and it's pretty much understood that his improvement is from putting in extra time with Boston. But here's the question, why wasn't his defense worked on last year in the minors? He had to have been bad last year like he was at the start of this year. Why wasn't that extra work put in last year? This really makes no sense to me. When people complain on here about poor player development, I usually just pass that off as sour grapes and complaining to complain. But really, why has Eloy improved so much in just a short time in the majors, and really, why did he come to the majors with so much room for improvement?

2nd thing: I agree that Lopez has been completely awful, but wow have some poster on here been overreacting. Put him in the bullpen?  Send him down? I'm pretty sure that at the start of the year, after his great end of the year last year, that most people would have said that Lopez was our # 2 starter after Rodon. In fact, some people thought he might be our # 1 with Rodon's inconsistencies. Are our memories really that short? Lopez was great the last 1/3 of the season. I know it sucks, but give him some time (and a little faith) to get it together. The people on this board are so ready to just give up on this player or that player. 

• Like 1

People here are indeed quick to give up on players. Check out the Moncada thread, but Lopez always had question marks on his ability to stick as a starter.

Turning him into a reliever is not giving up on him, it‘s trying to maximize his value. Plenty of failed starters turned into lights out relievers.

Edited by GermanSoxFan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s what we did.  Bought some Roku’s, YouTubeTV, and MLBTV and we are set for way less than what Comcast what was charging us.

There's a channel on Roku called GadeTV if you haven't discovered it yet if you re a fan of the MLB Network . you can get it on Gade TV for free. Also US news networks like CNN and if a hockey fan the CBC . It's basically a channel that lets you have access to other channels , Many french or Caribbean Island channels

46 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Two quick points: 

1st - It's amazing how much better defensively Eloy has gotten in LF, and it's pretty much understood that his improvement is from putting in extra time with Boston. But here's the question, why wasn't his defense worked on last year in the minors? He had to have been bad last year like he was at the start of this year. Why wasn't that extra work put in last year? This really makes no sense to me. When people complain on here about poor player development, I usually just pass that off as sour grapes and complaining to complain. But really, why has Eloy improved so much in just a short time in the majors, and really, why did he come to the majors with so much room for improvement?

2nd thing: I agree that Lopez has been completely awful, but wow have some poster on here been overreacting. Put him in the bullpen?  Send him down? I'm pretty sure that at the start of the year, after his great end of the year last year, that most people would have said that Lopez was our # 2 starter after Rodon. In fact, some people thought he might be our # 1 with Rodon's inconsistencies. Are our memories really that short? Lopez was great the last 1/3 of the season. I know it sucks, but give him some time (and a little faith) to get it together. The people on this board are so ready to just give up on this player or that player. 

When talking about Eloy's defense I think you have to consider he was just arriving. Even the most talented guys when put into a situation where you are among the best players in the world can have difficulties adjusting. Then he came into a league where he didn't have a feel for any of the ballparks including GRate. He was just getting the feel of the terrain. I don't think he made a big improvement in a short period of time I just think he knows his way around a lot better.

If I put you in a room you are familiar with in total darkness you will be able to find things because you are familiar with everything around you. I then put you in a room you have no idea where you are and you don't know if you next step can be into an abyss.

Even after many years of being here, game threads are filled with over reactions and landmines that cause me to cringe and get me in the most hot water .. People say whatever they want and often it's in the heat of the moment. There is no perspective and no patience. There really isn't much patience in many sports fans. It's usually living in that moment. We can say hold on, they re young give them time, but what we usually get in response is basically, fuck that, he sucks, now fuck off with that patience bullshit.

I mean you can go through game threads last year and find out just who was telling us to DFA Giolito pretty easily but all that is forgotten and those same people are reveling in his brief success. Most I am sure feel no remorse or regret and move onto the next guy they can scream about DFA'ing.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

People have to remember that Eloy played alot of his minor league career in RF. Even when we traded for him here he was in RF mostly until AAA. LF is still going to be an adjustment for him in that instance. 

11 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Probably not a good counterpoint when two of the worst starters in the MLB are in the same team.

Just pouring salt on the open wound.  😂😉

They are #1 and #2 in highest ERA in majors for qualifiers

11 hours ago, oldsox said:

We do not have enough candidates to replace him yet and maybe not next year either.