Free Agency - How confident are you?

RTC

The winter of our discontent   

187 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will REALLY happen this winter?

• I'm confident they'll land a big fish (e.g. Cole)
    • I'm confident they'll land a solid FA (e.g. Grandal) that actually makes an impact
    • I think any FA signings will fall in the "decent" range
    • I'm hoping beyond hope that the FO can get out of their own way and at least sign one person that's not crap
    • This winter is going to be another pile of hot garbage

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is nonsense. They just negotiated with Harper who was making significantly more.

Sometimes you make nice points that are negative. Sometimes you make absurd assumptions about things that make no logical sense.

Did they sign him?  How much were they willing to offer?  I just remember reading articles with Kenny saying Harper was out of the Sox price range even before he ended up signing with the Phillies.

So close...  I bet the Sox just missed out by a few million.  Or perhaps $50 million non-guaranteed incentive based dollars.  🙄😂

Edited by Moan4Yoan

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He's the best player on the team and that's where he plays best so it does matter. 

Was Kris Bryant the best player on the Cubs playing multiple positions ? Ben Zobrist on TB ? Was not Javy Baez a 2nd baseman until the Cubs had problems with Addison Russell ? Do the Sox want to win ? If so positional versatility is an option to be explored. Do you think his hitting is tied to what position he plays? Do you know for sure he wouldn't be a good OFer ? Do you know for sure that because of one season each at 2 different positions that he is really better at 3rd base than 2nd base ? Is it feasible that being a bad hitter last year affected his fielding at 2nd base ?

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Did they sign him?  How much were they willing to offer?  I just remember reading articles with Kenny saying Harper was out of the Sox price range even before he ended up signing with the Phillies.

So close...  I bet the Sox just missed out by a few million.  Or perhaps $50 million non-guaranteed incentive based dollars.  🙄😂

You said they don't negotiate or deal with Boras - that is factually wrong as is apparent by this most recent off season. You can say they didnt get him, but that was not your point.

You go ahead and keep moving the goal posts to make your negativity feel better.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Was Kris Bryant the best player on the Cubs playing multiple positions ? Ben Zobrist on TB ? Was not Javy Baez a 2nd baseman until the Cubs had problems with Addison Russell ? Do the Sox want to win ? If so positional versatility is an option to be explored. Do you think his hitting is tied to what position he plays? Do you know for sure he wouldn't be a good OFer ? Do you know for sure that because of one season each at 2 different positions that he is really better at 3rd base than 2nd base ? Is it feasible that being a bad hitter last year affected his fielding at 2nd base ?

I agree. It's not like we are talking about playing him at 2b for like 20% of his games. But actual good teams have many good players and some overlap, getting some on the field by moving around positions on some odd days allows for keeping players fresher and a deeper team. 

Not surprised though if sox fill out their lineup like a fantasy card. 

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's also an option if changing positions is something he'd agree to  which is the biggest consideration when signing him. If he won't but would sign as a 3rd baseman then you move Yoan.

He may have liked his 2b time more!

• Like 1

That's also an option if changing positions is something he'd agree to  which is the biggest consideration when signing him. If he won't but would sign as a 3rd baseman then you move Yoan.

Just now, bmags said:

He may have liked his 2b time more!

This would also allow you to trade Madrigal (or Anderson I guess) for a good SP or RF. 

Kris Bryant has been managed by Joe like an absolute idiot. 

Javy Baez was a SS who was moved to second for reasons no one understood to open up room for a worse defensive SS. 

Ben Zobrist was a literal utility guy who ended up improving and becoming a ++ starter who could play everywhere.

You already moved Yoan once, you're not moving him again.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You said they don't negotiate or deal with Boras - that is factually wrong as is apparent by this most recent off season. You can say they didnt get him, but that was not your point.

You go ahead and keep moving the goal posts to make your negativity feel better.

Okay, go ahead and pretend in your own world that the Sox have no problem signing Boras clients.  If I’m moving the goal posts, you must be ignoring the obvious that every poster here would admit.

So we are now talking about moving Moncada to another position to sign a player (Rendon) that we all know the Sox aren’t going to sign.  Yes, I agree it would be a great move since Rendon is by far and away the best position player available this offseason but we all know deep down that it isn’t going to happen.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I agree. It's not like we are talking about playing him at 2b for like 20% of his games. But actual good teams have many good players and some overlap, getting some on the field by moving around positions on some odd days allows for keeping players fresher and a deeper team. 

Not surprised though if sox fill out their lineup like a fantasy card. 

What does this mean?

So the astros move Altuve, Springer, Bregman and Correa? No. They acquire versatile middle tier players to cover a lot of the diamond and move around, sure, but they dont move their stars. They moved Bregman to third from short but he's not playing the outfield and second.

The Cubs are the only dumb ass team on earth making their stars/best players play out of position consistently and they don't enjoy it.

Players like consistency. Elite players don't have much interest in switching positions everyday. That actually impacts a player.

4 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Okay, go ahead and pretend in your own world that the Sox have no problem signing Boras clients.  If I’m moving the goal posts, you must be ignoring the obvious that every poster here would admit.

Amazing they signed Rodon since they refuse to do business with Boras. Facts get in the way of your narrative sometimes.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What does this mean?

So the astros move Altuve, Springer, Bregman and Correa? No. They acquire versatile middle tier players to cover a lot of the diamond and move around, sure, but they dont move their stars. They moved Bregman to third from short but he's not playing the outfield and second.

The Cubs are the only dumb ass team on earth making their stars/best players play out of position consistently and they don't enjoy it.

Players like consistency. Elite players don't have much interest in switching positions everyday. That actually impacts a player.

Man, Javier Baez’s numbers sure suffered last year playing three positions.  🙄

So we are now talking about moving Moncada to another position to sign a player (Rendon) that we all know the Sox aren’t going to sign.  Yes, I agree it would be a great move since Rendon is by far and away the best position player available this offseason but we all know deep down that it isn’t going to happen.

Great. Doesn't mean the rest of us can't talk about it

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The Sox have no need for an infielder and would be better off spending those funds on areas of opportunity.

I have no interest in moving Moncada again, and I am a firm believer in madrigal so I wouldn't even want Yoan at 2nd. He would have to move to the OF which would be absurd given how well he's played 3rd this year.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Amazing they signed Rodon since they refuse to do business with Boras. Facts get in the way of your narrative sometimes.

Yes, we all know this.  Big deal.  Draft position money is slotted and no where near the size of free agent contracts..  The open free agent market is an entirely different deal.  Keep acting clueless.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Kris Bryant has been managed by Joe like an absolute idiot. 

Javy Baez was a SS who was moved to second for reasons no one understood to open up room for a worse defensive SS. 

Ben Zobrist was a literal utility guy who ended up improving and becoming a ++ starter who could play everywhere.

You already moved Yoan once, you're not moving him again.

Maybe you 're not moving him again but I would . And you didn't answer one of my questions .All you did was call Maddon an idiot and give a mysterious answer for why Baez was moved.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What does this mean?

Dodgers and Brewers? And its not switching every day. And I guess Moncada is not a versatile infielder. 

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What does this mean?

Yep. Also feel like this is Joe's last season as manager of the Cubs for that reason. Weren't the players outspoken about it last year?

Edited by soxfan2014

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yes, we all know this.  Big deal.  Draft position money is slotted and no where near the size of free agent contracts..  The open free agent market is an entirely different deal.  Keep acting clueless.

Clueless? You're the guy telling us the Sox NEVER do business with Boras clients when they drafted and signed one, and they sat down for 1-1 meetings last season discussing a 250+ million dollar contract for one of his clients.

Sounds to me like another factually wrong statement by you. As I said though, keep moving those goal posts.

• Like 2

They still have to negotiate the amount of the bonus and his salary every year he is arbitration eligible with Boras.

The Sox have no need for an infielder and would be better off spending those funds on areas of opportunity.

No need for an infielder when he just happens to be the best position player available and would make the team much better ? I know pitching is a huge need and I really don't think RF and C or DH are positions we have to throw much money at if you can get some versatile guys like a Gennett to provide depth at 2nd base OF DH,1st base . So yes pitching should be a priority but to say there's no room for Rendon is crazy talk.