Free Agency - How confident are you?

RTC

The winter of our discontent   

187 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will REALLY happen this winter?

• I'm confident they'll land a big fish (e.g. Cole)
    • I'm confident they'll land a solid FA (e.g. Grandal) that actually makes an impact
    • I think any FA signings will fall in the "decent" range
    • I'm hoping beyond hope that the FO can get out of their own way and at least sign one person that's not crap
    • This winter is going to be another pile of hot garbage

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Dodgers and Brewers? And its not switching every day. And I guess Moncada is not a versatile infielder. 

Turner has played third since he got there. They are not moving Seager. Bellinger went on record with a preference for the outfield. The dodgers give him "breathers" at 1st base now but they primarily play him where he wants to play and where he feels most comfortable. The dodgers also had 13 outfielders last year which made that more difficult but they opened that spot up now. 

99% of players care about their position and their comfort matters. 

Moncada has been very good at 3rd. He wasnt good at 2nd. He should be a 3rd baseman. Theres no reason he should have to be versatile. None what so ever.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Turner has played third since he got there. They are not moving Seager. Bellinger went on record with a preference for the outfield. The dodgers give him "breathers" at 1st base now but they primarily play him where he wants to play and where he feels most comfortable. The dodgers also had 13 outfielders last year which made that more difficult but they opened that spot up now. 

Winning matters more.

39 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yoan was a 3rd baseman in Cuba and has never said he wanted to play 2nd base. Based on his lack of interest and amount of errors at 2nd, I'd say he's much more interested in playing 3rd.

The Sox should not move Yoan Moncada.

Moncada has a natural instinct at third that he doesn't have for second.  These posters who keep wanting to move Moncada to second where we have a potential star in Madrigal drive me nuts.  If you want to move Anderson to right field I'm all for it, but leave Madrigal out of these inane suggestions.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Nope, Sox DO NOT negotiate with Boras clients. That's what moan told us.

Give me a list of the Sox big signings of free agent players who use Boras as their agent.  Good luck.  Pretending to be ignorant to the truth isn’t a good look.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Ah, breathers, my bad. Glad we got that straightened up. Joc Pederson, 20 games at 1b, breathers. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Man, Javier Baez’s numbers sure suffered last year playing three positions.  🙄

Javy Baez had NO business playing anywhere but SS, since that's where he's best and most impactful.

Joe Maddon is an absolute dunce regarding his lineups and positioning and has taken serious heat for it.

Just now, bmags said:

Ah, breathers, my bad. Glad we got that straightened up. Joc Pederson, 20 games at 1b, breathers. 

Joc Pederson is not a star by any means and is no where near the best player on the team. 

I enjoy listening to you tell me that players dont care about their positions and comfort. 

You play a player at the position that maximizes his performance and value. The vast majority of players don't like moving around everyday and not having a position.

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Moncada has been very good at 3rd. He wasnt good at 2nd. He should be a 3rd baseman. Theres no reason he should have to be versatile. None what so ever.

What is Moncada's preferred position? (this is a serious question because I don't ever remember reading if he had one).

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Joc Pederson is not a star by any means and is no where near the best player on the team. 

I enjoy listening to you tell me that players dont care about their positions and comfort. 

You play a player at the position that maximizes his performance and value. The vast majority of players don't like moving around everyday and not having a position.

Cool, thats what I was advocating. Telling Moncada that he has no position and moving him slightly to the right every day like claymation.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

Moncada has a natural instinct at third that he doesn't have for second.  These posters who keep wanting to move Moncada to second where we have a potential star in Madrigal drive me nuts.  If you want to move Anderson to right field I'm all for it, but leave Madrigal out of these inane suggestions.

So talking about inane you are all for moving Anderson the established star at SS to the OF ( and for the record I would be too because it MIGHT be for the betterment of the team) but you want Moncada who is clearly the best player on the Sox to stay at 3rd because he played well there 1 year and crappy at 2nd base for 1 year. A year that his hitting was so bad it couldve affected his fielding for Madrigal a guy who hasn't proven anything yet.

I am not saying my ideas are the best course of action. My thinking is the Sox have to be flexible if they want to create ways to make the most of their payroll when we all know payroll concerns are among the things that will hurt the completion of the rebuild. You know its a big picture kind of view not tunnel vision

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You said they don't negotiate. It was wrong. Move on.

I didn’t think you could or would.  Just like how Baez was impacted last year by playing three positions.  Your supporting evidence is non-existent.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

To be fair, they didn't negotiate with Boras last winter over Harper. They heard the asking price, thought it was too much and moved on. 

No Dick Allen, stop lying.  The Sox have a long history of locking up Boras players.  🤣

12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If the Sox would have signed Machado, Yoan probably stays at 2B until Madrigal is ready, then moved to either 1B or RF. Now, I don't know if you move him again, but Biggio moved around. Started out at C, moved to 2B, then to CF, then I think he moved back to 2B. So he probably could handle it, but for now, it makes no sense to move him from where he is unless something better comes along. 

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

If the Sox would have signed Machado, Yoan probably stays at 2B until Madrigal is ready, then moved to either 1B or RF. Now, I don't know if you move him again, but Biggio moved around. Started out at C, moved to 2B, then to CF, then I think he moved back to 2B. 

Agreed, and I think RF would have made the most sense for Moncada with his power, arm and Robert ready to take over CF.  Anyone who would have been upset with that lineup or defensive positioning is nuts.

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

For like the 50th time, Rendon should not even be discussed.  There is a 0% chance the Sox are moving Moncada again.  ZERO. 

Agreed, but the Sox aren’t passing on Rendon just because they don’t want to move Moncada’s position again.  They aren’t signing Rendon because Moncada plays 3B just fine and Madrigal is almost ready to take over 2B.  And also the massive contract it would take to sign Rendon.  So the current setup will work without having to spend any more money.  Signing Rendon and changing Moncada’s position would obviously make the team better.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

4 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Agreed, and I think RF would have made the most sense for Moncada with his power, arm and Robert ready to take over CF.  Anyone who would have been upset with that lineup or defensive positioning is nuts.

Especially now that they have Vaughn. Eloy, Robert and Moncada from left to right would be a fun OF. 

But I do agree with the post above. There is very little chance they move him again unless he just falls apart at 3B, and that doesn't seem likely.

Edited by Dick Allen