Sox Non-Tender Yolmer, Frare, Burr, Release Veiera

hogan873

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Does this make Burr and Frare immediate FA?  

Pretty sure it does.

Don't really understand that move from the Sox perspective.  Why not try to get them through waivers?  Its not like the Sox have boatloads of MLB ready bullpen arms sitting in Charlotte as insurance?  We just lost 3 of them today.  

Its not a big deal, but why not DFA Burr and Frare and hope they clear and then outright to AAA? 

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

So depending on how you categorize Abreus signing bonus as either a 2020 expenditure or a 2019 expenditure, the sox are at 78.6mm or 83.6mm. Or if you do the actual accounting of it...that's what like 80.5

For luxury tax purposes, his 5 million is on this year.

For their budgetary purposes internally, they put it on 2019.

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I just don't think they thought anyone would claim him with the injury. He will likely end up accepting an assignment, but who knows?

Edit: thought this said Burr. Ignore.

My understand is that Burr and Frare are now FA.  They don't go on waivers.  

I don't understand why the Sox would handle these two players that way unless they just wanted them gone.  

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm not sure this is accurate, but I don't know for sure. For example, he was making 37.666 million this year with the signing bonus, but his cap hit was actually less than 36 million.

https://d39ba378-ae47-4003-86d3-147e4fa6e51b.filesusr.com/ugd/b0a4c2_95883690627349e0a5203f61b93715b5.pdf

(3) Signing Bonuses Any Signing Bonus in a Uniform Player’s Contract (and any other payment this Article deems to be a Signing Bonus) shall be attributed, pro rata, over the Guaranteed Years of the Contract. If a Contract contains no Guaranteed Years, the Signing Bonus shall be attributed in full to the first year of the Contract.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

https://d39ba378-ae47-4003-86d3-147e4fa6e51b.filesusr.com/ugd/b0a4c2_95883690627349e0a5203f61b93715b5.pdf

(3) Signing Bonuses Any Signing Bonus in a Uniform Player’s Contract (and any other payment this Article deems to be a Signing Bonus) shall be attributed, pro rata, over the Guaranteed Years of the Contract. If a Contract contains no Guaranteed Years, the Signing Bonus shall be attributed in full to the first year of the Contract.

Then theres something funny about Trouts luxury tax calculation on sportrac. I'm basing my thoughts on that. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Then theres something funny about Trouts luxury tax calculation on sportrac. I'm basing my thoughts on that. 

They probably messed it up because they ripped up his contract in april, his 2019 salary dropped to like 16 mill then had a 20 mill signing bonus applied that made it like 18.6 this year, they may have put the signing bonus on his original base salary in 2019 which is incorrect.

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

My understand is that Burr and Frare are now FA.  They don't go on waivers.  

I don't understand why the Sox would handle these two players that way unless they just wanted them gone.  

Correct. It seems weird if they were not asking the players to take less though... why else protect them?

They could still come back but they are UFA's so they wouldnt be capable of taking an assignment.

35 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Correct. It seems weird if they were not asking the players to take less though... why else protect them?

They could still come back but they are UFA's so they wouldnt be capable of taking an assignment.

I mean these we’re pre arb guys. It clearly wasn’t to save money (ie: asking the players to take less). Looks like they simply didn’t want either in the org. Far greater chance to retain them via a DFA as opposed to non tendering when all other clubs can get them without committing a 40 man spot. 

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

For luxury tax purposes, his 5 million is on this year.

For their budgetary purposes internally, they put it on 2019.

This isn’t true.  The signing bonus is taken as part of an AAV for luxury tax purposes.  For accounting purposes, it’s spread over the life of the contract.  From a cash payroll perspective I’d wager it’s part of their 2020 fiscal year.  Tax wise it may have 2019 implications and is likely advantageous to pull forward.

28 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Who cares about Frare and Burr? Are they really contributors on a good team? Roster at 36 hints at several additions, as there still are more than a couple on the roster they can dump and no one will remember them a year from now.

Burr showed some promise before injury, but he’s probably willing to resign with us on a minor league deal.