2020 Catch-All

knightni

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

The have a Churchill so Texan isn't even necessary. But I agree, Murphy would be great.

Between him and Sgt. York (Tennessee), they have two southern boys that are absolute heroes.  There shouldn't be anything named after Lee or Beford-Forest or any other confederate.  Name them all after these two.  Or there is the choice of literally thousands of other heroes that fought in the name of the United States.

Edited by turnin' two
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Between him and Sgt. York (Tennessee), they have two southern boys that are absolute heroes.  There shouldn't be anything named after Lee or Beford-Forest or any other confederate.  Name them all after these two.  Or there is the choice of literally thousands of other heroes that fought in the name of the United States.

My district uses Supreme Court Justices. Some household names like Marshall or O'Connor. Some more obscure like Harlan or Taft

46 minutes ago, Texsox said:

My district uses Supreme Court Justices. Some household names like Marshall or O'Connor. Some more obscure like Harlan or Taft

Is Taft obscure?  I mean, he was president... but maybe more obscure as a judge.  But all in all that's a pretty good method.  Except maybe not for long as even the justices are politically nuclear.

5 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Is Taft obscure?  I mean, he was president... but maybe more obscure as a judge.  But all in all that's a pretty good method.  Except maybe not for long as even the justices are politically nuclear.

Obscure as a judge. I'm at Brandeis which is comfortable politically. Not that namesakes have much influence. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pro: still have a job
Con: can't really do anything, nothing to spend money on thanks to COVID-19
Pro: can use this extra money to finish basement sooner and have wet bar installed
Con: Cannot actually have company over to justify this expense, thanks once again to COVID-19

1 hour ago, lostfan said:

Pro: still have a job
Con: can't really do anything, nothing to spend money on thanks to COVID-19
Pro: can use this extra money to finish basement sooner and have wet bar installed
Con: Cannot actually have company over to justify this expense, thanks once again to COVID-19

Does your employer have any need of a scientist?

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So Death Valley may just today have set the record for highest temperature ever reliably recorded by humans.

It was in the low 70s today for the first time in about 2 months where I was, 2600 miles away, therefore this is not real because my unique experience does not support it #PostLikeAFuckingIdiot

• Like 1

Long article worth a read. It's in the New York Post not written BY the Post for those who always discredit things. NYC is dead forever. Think Chicago isn't close to being dead as well? This guy who owns a comedy club, a good comedy club, moved when the mob tried to get in his building. 

https://nypost.com/2020/08/17/nyc-is-dead-forever-heres-why-james-altucher/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

19 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Long article worth a read. It's in the New York Post not written BY the Post for those who always discredit things. NYC is dead forever. Think Chicago isn't close to being dead as well? This guy who owns a comedy club, a good comedy club, moved when the mob tried to get in his building. 

https://nypost.com/2020/08/17/nyc-is-dead-forever-heres-why-james-altucher/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

LOL, just a bunch of fear mongering.  It will probably change, like everywhere else over time, but c'mon.

59 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I mean we all know the world never recovered after the 1918 outbreak, or even after the Plague, so obviously this is the end of the world.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Big Hurtin said:

LOL, just a bunch of fear mongering.  It will probably change, like everywhere else over time, but c'mon.

It was written by a guy who owns a popular comedy club in NYC. Did u read it? Very very interesting and troubling.

4 hours ago, Big Hurtin said:

Who cares?

I care about our big cities turning into boarded up war zones. Sorry if nobody else does. I thought it was an interesting take by a guy who lives in NYC and owns a business there. My bad.

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I care about our big cities turning into boarded up war zones. Sorry if nobody else does. I thought it was an interesting take by a guy who lives in NYC and owns a business there. My bad.

Imagine.  All of the time we could have been preparing for this, fighting this, and trying to help people through his was completely pissed away.  Not sure how people see what is going on in the rest of the world and don't realize that we COULD have done this, but instead, the President and 40% of the country decided that science was no longer a thing, and here we are.  Economic collapse and no hope on the horizon, while the rest of the world gets back to a normalish existence.

23 hours ago, greg775 said:

As someone who lives here...Nah

• knightni locked and unpinned this topic