COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Chess players really don't come into contact with other humans anyway, do they? (jk i love the game too.)

LMAO. 

Yeah, and I've decided to stay home anyway. It's more about the facility that it's held in than the people. 

I was getting some social pressure from my study buddy because I've been trying to convince him not to go, as my buddy is  a 75 year old man with tons of underlying conditions. He's being stubborn. I've been 95% sure I wasn't going anyway the entire time. Just wanted to run it by everyone to make sure he's the crazy one and not me. 

Keep him in your thoughts that he doesn't get exposed there. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

LMAO. 

Yeah, and I've decided to stay home anyway. It's more about the facility that it's held in than the people. 

I was getting some social pressure from my study buddy because I've been trying to convince him not to go, as my buddy is  a 75 year old man with tons of underlying conditions. He's being stubborn. I've been 95% sure I wasn't going anyway the entire time. Just wanted to run it by everyone to make sure he's the crazy one and not me. 

Keep him in your thoughts that he doesn't get exposed there. 

What is your 75 year old buddy studying for? Is he an elderly form of Billy Madison? 

1 minute ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

What is your 75 year old buddy studying for? Is he an elderly form of Billy Madison? 

We play chess. We study the game together. 

There's a lifetime of learning in that game, and there's always more to learn. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

27 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

We play chess. We study the game together. 

There's a lifetime of learning in that game, and there's always more to learn. 

I think I just decided I'm going to get really into chess once quarantine comes down. 

I'm not sure the handful of video games I just picked up or the books I have on backlog are gonna cut it. 

39 minutes ago, mqr said:

I think I just decided I'm going to get really into chess once quarantine comes down. 

I'm not sure the handful of video games I just picked up or the books I have on backlog are gonna cut it. 

This is Week 8 here in China of not leaving the apartment once.

Food/restaurant commercials are like torture after about a month.

Losing NCAA basketball tournament and MLB are just hard to imagine.  

Reading, reading, reading.   Playing with your children.  An endless stream of movies and t.v. shows.   Following political season more closely (that might be gone.)   Not obsessing over selling and buying stocks/mutual funds, will just do nothing for now...eventually buying when there’s some light at the end of the tunnel (this happened in Week 7, but that meant a TOTAL lockdown here first).  Having my Labs around would be comforting, we underestimate the impact pets can have on our daily lives.

I think this is going to force both Dems and Republicans to finally deal with both health care, and immigration...in a strange way, it brings life back to Medicare for All (or at least “those who want it”) just days after it was declared dead.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

And here's your economic dagger boys:

"BREAKING: Mitch McConnell says he won’t look at House relief bill for coronavirus for another 12 days. This is absolutely insane and obscene. I feel as if it’s criminal. This negligence and playing politics is beyond corruption. Shame on GOP."

Get these self fulfilling scumbags out of office. 

Agreed with you on your last statement, but didn’t the Turtle just reverse course?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/politics/congress-recess-canceled/index.html

Also, because my Fox News loving friend at the office keeps mentioning it, what do we think about the virus stopping as the weather gets warmer? He keeps mentioning the fact that it is convenient that this virus is coming up now during an election year (I find that to be complete horseshit) so I want to change the subject on him.

Also, one of my friends at work sent me a hunting forum that he reads and gets a kick out of. I thought I’d share that too:

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7756234/coronavirus#Post7756234

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Reading, reading, reading.   Playing with your children.  An endless stream of movies and t.v. shows.   Following political season more closely (that might be gone.)   Not obsessing over selling and buying stocks/mutual funds, will just do nothing for now...eventually buying when there’s some light at the end of the tunnel (this happened in Week 7, but that meant a TOTAL lockdown here first).  Having my Labs around would be comforting, we underestimate the impact pets can have on our daily lives.

I think this is going to force both Dems and Republicans to finally deal with both health care, and immigration...in a strange way, it brings life back to Medicare for All (or at least “those who want it”) just days after it was declared dead.

I thought Wuhan had removed its restrictions? Are these your own self imposed restrictions at this point?  

43 minutes ago, mqr said:

I suggest e-books. I have mini library of chess books I've accumulated and I wish I'd have gone the e-book route. Every time I go to the club I have to pick and choose which ones to bring and which ones to leave at home. 

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I can’t imagine what it must feel like. How do you get things to eat? Are you over there temporarily or permanently? I can’t imagine what things will be like without entertainment or sports.

I would love to see them take up the Gang of Eight’s immigration bill and talk health care and if they were to get something done, I’d go out on a limb to say that Trump would get re-elected.

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I thought Wuhan had removed its restrictions? Are these your own self imposed restrictions at this point?  

Nope, not at all.  Officially, we’re still in a high risk zone despite the Xi Jinping victory lap on Tuesday.

Wife COULD go back to work next Friday, buses/subways/taxis as early as next week...airport, etc.  Schools will probably trail by at least a week or two.

The biggest concern now is everyone coming back into the province...our teachers who were “stuck” in Thailand and Vietnam going back to the week of January 20th are probably facing a two week quarantine upon return, so running the school for those two weeks will be chaotic.

12 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I can’t imagine what it must feel like. How do you get things to eat? Are you over there temporarily or permanently? I can’t imagine what things will be like without entertainment or sports.

I would love to see them take up the Gang of Eight’s immigration bill and talk health care and if they were to get something done, I’d go out on a limb to say that Trump would get re-elected.

We have to order from grocery stores (online, Alibaba has their own stores and efficient delivery drivers) and have it delivered to the apartment complex entrance gates.

Wife, who is the only one with a mask/protective gear and can communicate well in Chinese (not my strength after 8 years)...has to do that about once a week.

Recently, have been able to start getting meat, shrimp, lamb and eat hot pot.  Once, we successfully ordered Snickers, M&M’s and Doritos/Lays, but they’re down to basic staples.  My essential diet for the past six or seven weeks, it was mostly noodles, dumplings and fried rice.   Have gone from 190 to 182 pounds despite no exercise due to fewer snacks and less soda.   

Your last hopes...just not seeing how it’s going to be possible after that speech I witnessed.

They’re going to have to shut down the stock market for two weeks IMO. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mqr said:

Also, I'm a huge record dork and I can't imagine that those stores aren't absolutely boned even beyond the virus getting under control, so that really sucks. 

Stuck watching High Fidelity...I can almost forgive John Cusack being more of a Cubs’ fan.

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Stuck watching High Fidelity...I can almost forgive John Cusack being more of a Cubs’ fan.

One of my favorites, just got done watching the show. 

related: I will be listening to ‘I Don’t Like Shit, I Don’t Go Outside’ until I either die or someone let’s me go to a g damn Sox game. 

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

Agreed with you on your last statement, but didn’t the Turtle just reverse course?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/politics/congress-recess-canceled/index.html

Also, because my Fox News loving friend at the office keeps mentioning it, what do we think about the virus stopping as the weather gets warmer? He keeps mentioning the fact that it is convenient that this virus is coming up now during an election year (I find that to be complete horseshit) so I want to change the subject on him.

Also, one of my friends at work sent me a hunting forum that he reads and gets a kick out of. I thought I’d share that too:

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7756234/coronavirus#Post7756234

Yup, reversed course right after receiving the pressure but only by cancelling recess, not by agreeing to a bill to help people. 

Still won't pass the house bill because someone he doesn't like sponsored it... and the Senate nor the WH have a bill ready to go. The bill proposed by the House would have done a lot of good for a lot of people.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Yep this is America, in full panic mode. Just came from wal mart, you think the end of civilization was here

Time tell if this is justified or media driven

Cancelling all sports seems to have woken a lot of people up to "oh shoot this is actually really serious"

45 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yup, reversed course right after receiving the pressure but only by cancelling recess, not by agreeing to a bill to help people. 

Still won't pass the house bill because someone he doesn't like sponsored it... and the Senate nor the WH have a bill ready to go. The bill proposed by the House would have done a lot of good for a lot of people.

Age will catch up to people like him. Eventually, maybe term limits will stop fossils that are assholes just like him.

Edited by The Beast

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/politics/katie-porter-cdc-coronavirus-testing-white-board/index.html

Kudos to someone for finally getting the CDC to agree to fund/subsidize all coronavirus testing...and not just accepting the tired ‘ol we’ll “get back to you later” excuse.

Have to hold their feet to the fire before that gets walked back again as well.

At some point, doing the right thing for the American people has to come before fighting over who receives credit or recognition.

Edited by caulfield12