RR

WBWSF

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You might be too young to remember, but Magglio burned that bridge to the ground.

Nope, I remember. What was it like 2003 when Maggs hired a certain guy named Scott as his agent when said guy was persona non grata for the FO? 

I don't remember anything else that may or may not have happened. If there was more to it, please enlighten me. 

Dye was better anyway. I'm not complaining. 

They had a metric ton of highly regarded prospects get injured or bust. 

Malone, Honel, Rauch, Barcelo, Borchard among them. 

Crede took a while to get going and Garland underperformed every year outside of 2005. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Nope, I remember. What was it like 2003 when Maggs hired a certain guy named Scott as his agent when said guy was persona non grata for the FO? 

I don't remember anything else that may or may not have happened. If there was more to it, please enlighten me. 

You don't remember it all.  The Sox tried to extend him, repeatedly.  Then he disappeared and had an unauthorized and experimental surgery outside of the US without telling the team.  Even after that they tried to extend him, and he accused them of trying to take advantage of him due to his injury.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You don't remember it all.  The Sox tried to extend him, repeatedly.  Then he disappeared and had an unauthorized and experimental surgery outside of the US without telling the team.  Even after that they tried to extend him, and he accused them of trying to take advantage of him due to his injury.

Yeah I remembered something to this effect about the experimental surgery, but that was during the 04 season. Like I said, it was a good move and Dye was better for the  Sox over his two contracts than Maggs was for Detroit over his one. 

The italic stuff I completely forgot about until you reminded me. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

You're bringing up a quote about Reinsdorf in a thread about Renteria's replacement because "who else is out there?" Yeah that makes sense

What exactly is your point? The Sox were just in first place and everyone was thrilled. Now they're a game out and it's "hmm maybe Reinsdorf WANTS them to be in second because of what a disgraced executive from the Marlins said!" Yeah, perhaps Reinsdorf paid off the players to lose yesterday because that way they would be in second. It just might be the case! Fuck outta here

The point was you were cranky about a second place conspiracy and mentioned how we are in second, which is hilarious. Relax and eat a snickers, it's almost a holiday weekend and no need for rage. Jerry told this man that and he has no reason to lie about it, so JR is accountable for the comment. However, I think JR may have meant if you don't have a legit shot to win big you want to remain competitive at the very least. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The point was you were cranky about a second place conspiracy and mentioned how we are in second, which is hilarious. Relax and eat a snickers, it's almost a holiday weekend and no need for rage. Jerry told this man that and he has no reason to lie about it, so JR is accountable for the comment. However, I think JR may have meant if you don't have a legit shot to win big you want to remain competitive at the very least. 

To me what Jerry meant by the “aim for second place/ keep the carrot on a stick in front of the fans” comments was that if you just put the illusion that you are trying to win it is good enough.   You don’t have to go all out and try to win the damn thing every year.   

I believe they did go balls out after 2005  trying to repeat by trading for Thome and Vasquez.  And I give them credit for Finally doing a true rebuild and being damn successful at it.  And for giving a decent shot this past offseason.  Keuchel sounds like he picked us because of the Grandal signing.  And Encarnacion is only one year.   They really need to bring Vaughn up and really go for it this year.   

And they need to do right with the organization and fans and Fire Ricky after this year.  

41 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is just a WILD, all-time paragraph from you. Man alive. 

What I meant by "looking a lot like the 2000-2004 group" was about how the offense is built around the 3 run HR and they struggle to score when not hitting HR. 

Also, allowing the Twins to occupy space in their noggins and they couldn't care less, which is why I brought up the Burke incident the other night. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

28 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yeah, hilarious. The implication by you and others is that Reinsdorf spent just enough money to finish in second, so when he woke up yesterday and saw they were in 1st, he was mad.. like "hey Ricky, it's Jerry. Lose tonight. Cleveland's winning. Gotta stay true to my word." Do you know how stupid that sounds? Jerry allegedly wanting to finish second has nothing to do with the fact that they are now in 2nd. They pitched a bozo yesterday and made a ton of errors. It happens

The Sox were in 1st a day ago. I can assure you that Parkman was just waiting to get back in 2nd so he can break out that quote again. Which is exactly my point. The quote is being blown way out of proportion. They spent like $300M in total contracts this offseason. Chill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

If Ricky got fired tomorrow.  What other MLB team gives him a chance to lead their team.  

Maybe another team in a rebuild or a team getting to the point of competing- Royals, Pirates, Mariners, etc- only to get fired right before the big years. He's a god awful manager

There's a lot of carrots being passed around in this locker room: from the kind, cool uncle figure Abreu or the warm fatherly affections of Renteria.  There's nothing inherently wrong with that, in fact I think most pro athletes respect that approach and react to it better than the stick.  But there is a def a time for the stick.  There is a fine line between playing loose and playing sloppy.  The Sox, for all their talent, have had a few games this year where if you squinted you couldn't tell any difference between this bunch and RVs 2017 team (for example).

Other than Dallas, I don't really think there is a strong -- whoop that ass stay focused son -- type in the locker room or the manager's office.  Maybe Don Cooper but that's not enough and Cooper, lord knows, I have a lot of other issues with.

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There's a lot of carrots being passed around in this locker room: from the kind, cool uncle figure Abreu or the warm fatherly affections of Renteria.  There's nothing inherently wrong with that, in fact I think most pro athletes respect that approach and react to it better than the stick.  But there is a def a time for the stick.  There is a fine line between playing loose and playing sloppy.  The Sox, for all their talent, have had a few games this year where if you squinted you couldn't tell any difference between this bunch and RVs 2017 team (for example).

Other than Dallas, I don't really think there is a strong -- whoop that ass stay focused son -- type in the locker room or the manager's office.  Maybe Don Cooper but that's not enough and Cooper, lord knows, I have a lot of other issues with.

This is pretty overrated.  Almost all managers keep their drama in the locker room.  We have no idea how Ricky handles himself behind closed doors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

What I meant by "looking a lot like the 2000-2004 group" was about how the offense is built around the 3 run HR and they struggle to score when not hitting HR. 

Also, allowing the Twins to occupy space in their noggins and they couldn't care less, which is why I brought up the Burke incident the other night. 

1. Home runs are good. 3 run home runs are triply so. They've already won a lot of games because they hit more home runs than everyone else. 

2. You're projecting. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is pretty overrated.  Almost all managers keep their drama in the locker room.  We have no idea how Ricky handles himself behind closed doors.

I mean this is a message board we all are outsiders and the best we can do is infer and make reasonable conclusions. I can infer that RR is a player's manager.  Just like I can infer RV was.  I'll never forget watching Eaton clown off in spring training during BP and I'll never forget Eloy clowning off in LF and not getting benched.  I can draw some conclusions abut what type of managers they are from what I can gather as an outsider, a fan.  You can disagree but please, do not tell me you know for certain the other way based on some epistemological "how do we know what we know" undergrad gotcha.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I mean this is a message board we all are outsiders and the best we can do is infer and make reasonable conclusions. I can infer that RR is a player's manager.  Just like I can infer RV was.  I'll never forget watching Eaton clown off in spring training during BP and I'll never forget Eloy clowning off in LF and not getting benched.  I can draw some conclusions abut what type of managers they are from what I can gather as an outsider, a fan.  You can disagree but please, do not tell me you know for certain the other way based on some epistemological "how do we know what we know" undergrad gotcha.

There were stories about Robin conducting his business behind closed doors.

19 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

you're not arguing in good faith anymore which is disappointing.  Anyways, imma take another break from Sox Talk.  Cya guys in a few days.

Just because a guy doesn't dump his business in public like Ozzie did, doesn't mean he doesn't take care of his business.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I’m not a fan of Renteria but he’s probably the Manager of the Year frontrunner for the AL. I doubt he goes, sadly 

Weirdly, if this happens I think its only because they played so poorly to start the year. Preseason we had so much "dark horse" or "breakout" contender hype that I think even a tight division win doesn't do much for RR. But then we shit the bed so badly for a while that everyone (many of us included lol) gave up on us and assumed we sucked again this year. So now if we win the division it'll look like the miraculous bad team breaking out that wins managers awards from people who aren't really paying attention anyway.

5 hours ago, mqr said:

1. Home runs are good. 3 run home runs are triply so. They've already won a lot of games because they hit more home runs than everyone else. 

2. You're projecting. 

1. Yes they are, but the ball doesn't always fly out of the park. 

2. Maybe a bit, but they need to kick the crap out of the Twins the next go around. 

55 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

1. Yes they are, but the ball doesn't always fly out of the park. 

2. Maybe a bit, but they need to kick the crap out of the Twins the next go around. 

So if they win 2 of the 4 games by 1 run each but lose 2 of the 4 games by 4 runs each, then what?