Offseason Targets

soxfan49

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

They aren’t cutting payroll IMO, which in today’s baseball is meaningful. It seems they will add to the payroll but only short-term in terms of years. I’ve never considered Springer or Bauer to be realistic for this reason.

I kind of feel like the white sox have a "max deal" which sits around 4 years 80 million and whether they sign anyone completely depends on whether an "a-level" free agent is a combination of age or skill level that will sign at that amount. So you have your Yasmani Grandal last year. And in 2011 you have your 2011 dollars amount of 4 years 56 million. 

So will Springer sign for 4 years like 88 million? No. Will Bauer? No. Then we'll end up giving JAckie Bradley Jr like 4 years 48 million and feel good about how we saved money.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I kind of feel like the white sox have a "max deal" which sits around 4 years 80 million and whether they sign anyone completely depends on whether an "a-level" free agent is a combination of age or skill level that will sign at that amount. So you have your Yasmani Grandal last year. And in 2011 you have your 2011 dollars amount of 4 years 56 million. 

So will Springer sign for 4 years like 88 million? No. Will Bauer? No. Then we'll end up giving JAckie Bradley Jr like 4 years 48 million and feel good about how we saved money.

That might be what turns out to be the best thing for us.  This process of spending millions is not as easy as it looks.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

no, no, maybe.

The most interesting to me continues to be Kluber, but by far the most risky.

I agree. He's kind of flying under the radar for good reason. But I'd be interested in seeing what he could get. 

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

That might be what turns out to be the best thing for us.  This process of spending millions is not as easy as it looks.

on the other hand, the sox haven't won a division in 15 years.

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If he can pick up a Marquez type that has years of control to fit the window this team is looking at, that is a different story.  Even if you lose a guy to an injury, you at least have them back for a couple/few more years.  If that happens with a Lynn type, you completely lose the deal and gave away parts of your future reinforcements to do it.

Depends on what else we can get in return  and if we can turn around and re-sign him. Gallo is good defensively and we need someone that can play the position. Enough of the experiments. He can also jack up 40 plus HR’s at the Rate. I know Texas’ farm system isn’t all that great but if we can get a good prospect in the deal instead, I think that would be too hard to pass up on and it would probably help offset the cost. Remember, there’s a good chance that we’re signing either Colas or Cespedes this offseason and they will be waiting in the wings to take over in RF so there are options.

Edited by maloney.adam

31 minutes ago, Baron said:

Orrrrr you could trade for him use him this year and resign him. 

Who's to say he wouldn't want to test the market after taking a cheap deal in which he produced surplus value this time around. Lynn will be 35 next winter and it will likely be his last big contract. He'd be a fool to re-sign. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Who's to say he wouldn't want to test the market after taking a cheap deal in which he produced surplus value this time around. Lynn will be 35 next winter and it will likely be his last big contract. He'd be a fool to re-sign. 

He'd be a fool to resign for cheap you mean. 

3 minutes ago, Baron said:

He'd be a fool to resign for cheap you mean. 

He'd be a fool to re-sign period.....he should go to the open market and maximize his value. 

You ok re-signing a 35 year old pitcher for the same guaranteed money that Keuchel got? 

That's what I think it would take. I'd pass there. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You ok re-signing a 35 year old pitcher for the same guaranteed money that Keuchel got? 

That's what I think it would take. I'd pass there. 

I'm not sure. In that case it would be a hard sell. 

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

Springer's "offer" is for more than that from what I've heard. Also, they offered Zack Wheeler 5/125 last year and even his agent though the deal was done. There might be a cutoff but it's not $80 million over 4. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Springer's "offer" is for more than that from what I've heard. Also, they offered Zack Wheeler 5/125 last year and even his agent though the deal was done. There might be a cutoff but it's not $80 million over 4. 

Honestly it would have been nice if they landed both Wheeler and Keuchel last winter. 

I think we'd all feel better with Wheeler/Keuchel/McCann than Grandal/Keuchel

Who Knows? The Phillies are having some money issues(or so they claim) and the Sox might be able to grab Wheeler via trade for pennies on the dollar. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

No, I know, I'm just being dramatic, obviously Machado had 8 for 250. It's more that when we are in a chase for a player like that it never feels like we'll go enough over the top to sign, but the kind of player that would sign for a 4 year 18-22 million deal is the kind that will be old enough/limited enough and  seems to be their wheelhouse of player type.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Honestly it would have been nice if they landed both Wheeler and Keuchel last winter. 

Who Knows? The Phillies are having some money issues(or so they claim) and the Sox might be able to grab Wheeler via trade for pennies on the dollar. 

We wouldn't have Keuchel if we had Wheeler, so we'd be in the same spot of needing a starter.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Bingo

I think they might be able to get Wheeler for pretty cheap if the Phillies are desperate to cut payroll.

Speaking of long-term RF, LHB solution I think Colas to the Sox is as good as done. I mean, his agent was wearing a White Sox shirt while dining with Colas and Moncada. I think Moncada and Colas share an agent. 

I'm for the Pederson/Engel platoon in RF. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

And that’s why if they are looking to add a TOR starter they will need to trade for one this offseason and give up something because they will not find that outside of Bauer. 

Edited by maloney.adam

6 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

And that’s why if they are looking to add a TOR starter they will need to trade for one this offseason and give up something because they will not find that outside of Bauer. 

They need to go to cash strapped clubs and leverage salary relief in exchange for not giving up top guys. I'd be fine giving up Dunning or Cease for a guy like Darvish or Wheeler where they're controlled for 3 or 4 years respectively. 

Where I draw the line is at the big 4(Vaughn, Kopech, Crochet and Kelley) for those guys, or even someone like Marquez. 

I'm not opposed to trading players like Cease, Madrigal, Dunning and Stiever, but I am opposed to trading the first three for a player controlled for fewer than 3 years. 

The huge thing is that the Sox have to have the pitching depth built up so that they can afford to not lose Giolito for nothing. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• bmags locked this topic