Offseason Targets

soxfan49

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Good thing I’m 99 pct confident the organization disagrees

My biggest fear is that the TLR hire is an excuse not to spend.  If Jerry really convinced himself that the problem was managment, and with a few trades and TLR at the top he can just old school manage his way to the top, we will see the worst of both worlds as we shorten our window and piss away years of this core.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, fathom said:

Why is it so hard for some to understand that Lynn is a bonafide TOR starter that costs 8 million if you trade for him. Meanwhile number 5 starters are getting more than that in free agency. It’s easy to see why that path is more intriguing to Jerry.

Because he's not a bonafide TOR starter. 

• Like 1

Why is it so hard for some to understand that Lynn is a bonafide TOR starter that costs 8 million if you trade for him. Meanwhile number 5 starters are getting more than that in free agency. It’s easy to see why that path is more intriguing to Jerry.

I understand that Lance Lynn is good.  But you only get 2021 out of him.  In 2022 you have neither Lynn, nor everything you have given up for him.

• Like 1

You don’t offer Madrigal and Dunning for Clev if you don’t feel your window is open 

Those guys aren't Vaughn/Kopech and Crochet. 

Those guys are fine to give away for a starter with 3+ years of control that has TOR potential. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yes he is way undervalued.  No his 3.6 FIP the psat 3 years is not a bonafide TOR starter.  Good 2 or 3 for sure.  But he is 34 and regression at some point is happening.  It isn't worth Cease or Dunning for 1 year

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Yes he is way undervalued.  No his 3.6 FIP is not a bonafide TOR starter.  Good 2 or 3 for sure.  But he is 34 and regression at some point is happening.  It isn't worth Cease or Dunning for 1 year

He’s every bit the TOR starter for 2021 as Giolito is.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Even if you accept Lynn as a TOR starter, what number 5 starters are getting 16 mil/year plus?  I see guys who teams probably project as 2/3s (Stroman, Morton) getting that much, not 5s.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Do you really think adding Lance Lynn puts the Sox in the top tier of teams in 21?

I think with our top 3 pitchers including him we could go toe to toe with basically any team in the AL in the playoffs. 

Edited by Baron

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Do you really think adding Lance Lynn puts the Sox in the top tier of teams in 21?

It sure doesn’t make him worse. I think they are scared to death of another Game 3 situation where they have no starter they can count on.

Just now, fathom said:

It sure doesn’t make him worse. I think they are scared to death of another Game 3 situation where they have no starter they can count on.

They absolutely need SP to step up.  But they will also need those guys down the road.  But does that put them into the LAD/NYY/TBR category for 21?  Like I said, I don't see it.  I think we need two more starters and a big impact at either DH or RF before we can start to talk about that.  The other reason those teams are so good is their depth.  If one guy goes down, they have another that can step in.  That is a very important thing over 162 games and into the playoffs.  They also have guys who can step in from season to season.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

How are the Sox in the Dodgers league after adding just one SP?  I would like to see it explained.

If that's your attitude how are they going to be in the Dodgers league in 2-3 years? We should just rebuild and give up. 

If they get that far you let it play out. 

Just now, Baron said:

If that's your attitude how are they going to be in the Dodgers league in 2-3 years? We should just rebuild and give up. 

If they get that far you let it play out. 

That is literally the point.  You have these guys, but are already getting rid of them, which means you lose chances to get to the top down the road.  You got there accidentally, but you got there.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

That is literally the point.  You have these guys, but are already getting rid of them, which means you lose chances to get to the top down the road.  You got there accidentally, but you got there.

Yeah yeah all that's right. Except I didn't say get rid of "these guys". Maybe someday you'll give me an example and stop using straw man arguments. 

• bmags locked this topic