Offseason Targets

soxfan49

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They need to go to cash strapped clubs and leverage salary relief in exchange for not giving up top guys. I'd be fine giving up Dunning or Cease for a guy like Darvish or Wheeler where they're controlled for 3 or 4 years respectively. 

Where I draw the line is at the big 4(Vaughn, Kopech, Crochet and Kelley) for those guys, or even someone like Marquez. 

I'm not opposed to trading players like Cease, Madrigal, Dunning and Stiever, but I am opposed to trading the first three for a player controlled for fewer than 3 years. 

The huge thing is that the Sox have to have the pitching depth built up so that they can afford to not lose Giolito for nothing. 

A Stiever plus deal isn’t going to hurt the Sox long term.

Edited by maloney.adam

Just now, fathom said:

They’re not going to go from wanting Vaughn for Lynn to wanting Thompson and lesser prospects.  

Daniels can go pound sand then. 

If they're not OK with Stiever and Lambert/Sheets, then he can hold Lynn and lose him for nothing. There's no deal to be made at those prices. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

They’re not going to go from wanting Vaughn for Lynn to wanting Thompson and lesser prospects.  

How dare the Rangers not want to take trash from the White Sox for Lynn. It would probably take Dunning. 

3 minutes ago, Baron said:

How dare the Rangers not want to take trash from the White Sox for Lynn. It would probably take Dunning. 

Then Daniels can lose him for nothing, or take advantage of some other sucker. 

In Chicago, Lynn is worth Stiever and Sheets/Lambert. (kudos if you get the reference) 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Then Daniels can lose him for nothing, or take advantage of some other sucker. 

In Chicago, Lynn is worth Stiever and Sheets/Lambert. (kudos if you get the reference) 

My brain is running on empty right now so I didn't get the reference. 

7 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Rangers started drafting college hitters because they had an incredible amount of HS pitchers go down with TJ. They need pitching, pitching and more pitching.  

This is what I thought, they also were seeing their toolsy hitters just not developing a hit tool.

36 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think they might be able to get Wheeler for pretty cheap if the Phillies are desperate to cut payroll.

Speaking of long-term RF, LHB solution I think Colas to the Sox is as good as done. I mean, his agent was wearing a White Sox shirt while dining with Colas and Moncada. I think Moncada and Colas share an agent. 

I'm for the Pederson/Engel platoon in RF. 

Pretty cheap would still mean Cease, one of Dalquist and Thompson, and maybe another piece. If Phillies are selling, whoever loses on Bauer would come calling.

30 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They need to go to cash strapped clubs and leverage salary relief in exchange for not giving up top guys. I'd be fine giving up Dunning or Cease for a guy like Darvish or Wheeler where they're controlled for 3 or 4 years respectively. 

Where I draw the line is at the big 4(Vaughn, Kopech, Crochet and Kelley) for those guys, or even someone like Marquez. 

I'm not opposed to trading players like Cease, Madrigal, Dunning and Stiever, but I am opposed to trading the first three for a player controlled for fewer than 3 years. 

The huge thing is that the Sox have to have the pitching depth built up so that they can afford to not lose Giolito for nothing. 

I would love to see the Sox explore this route.  If you give a minimal return, it makes it essentially a free agent signing.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would love to see the Sox explore this route.  If you give a minimal return, it makes it essentially a free agent signing.

Yup......but I worry Jerry would rather exchange talent for taking on fewer dollars. 

Penny wise but dollar foolish. 

If they were ok with Wheeler at 5/125 last winter, why wouldn't they be ok with him at 4/95 this winter? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

It depends on what their best offer looks like.  If teams aren't offering a lot, they don't have much of a choice.  The fact that Lynn didn't go anywhere at the deadline tells me that the offers reflected the lack of control.

• Like 2

• bmags locked this topic