Offseason Targets

soxfan49

Was just looking at the potential free agent list and saw Kluber sitting with a team option. 

#1, after essentially not pitching in 20, plus Texas looking to cut salary, he won't get picked up right?

#2, What is the status of his injury, and is he worth a look in 21?

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Was just looking at the potential free agent list and saw Kluber sitting with a team option. 

#1, after essentially not pitching in 20, plus Texas looking to cut salary, he won't get picked up right?

#2, What is the status of his injury, and is he worth a look in 21?

Missing most of the last two years is concerning, but if his medicals checked out I'd be interested in Kluber as the second pitcher added to the staff. He has playoff experience, regular season track record, and could be another valuable asset for the young arms to learn from. He'll turn 35 in April so he's no spring chicken, but maybe a 1 year deal with a team option could fly for him? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Missing most of the last two years is concerning, but if his medicals checked out I'd be interested in Kluber as the second pitcher added to the staff. He has playoff experience, regular season track record, and could be another valuable asset for the young arms to learn from. He'll turn 35 in April so he's no spring chicken, but maybe a 1 year deal with a team option could fly for him? 

I don't think that Kluber will be looked at. You are talking about a guy making a lot of money, is 35 years old and who suffered a shoulder muscle tear.

2 hours ago, The Hawk said:

I don't think that Kluber will be looked at. You are talking about a guy making a lot of money, is 35 years old and who suffered a shoulder muscle tear.

1 hour ago, The Hawk said:

Isn't he still under a club option and under contract? 

Kluber has a club option of 18M for 2021. I would think that the Rangers won't exercise his option at that rate, which would put him on the market. That's why I said if his medical checks out I'd be interested. Based on his resume and the likelihood that he could be had for a reasonable amount and (most likely) a short term commitment, it could be a nice fit.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

1 hour ago, The Hawk said:

Isn't he still under a club option and under contract? 

The Rangers are looking to cut 50 million in payroll. Kluber has had injuries the last two years, and has a 1 million dollar buyout on a 17.5 million dollar option. My guess is that he gets bought out and signs for something like 1/10 on a prove it contract. 

53 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Rangers are looking to cut 50 million in payroll. Kluber has had injuries the last two years, and has a 1 million dollar buyout on a 17.5 million dollar option. My guess is that he gets bought out and signs for something like 1/10 on a prove it contract. 

Yeah, after seeing geezing geezers like Gio Gonzalez and Encarnacion steal money, I've become an agist when it comes to FA. I'd say no to Kluber, unless Stroman & Q aren't available to be signed.

The big thing about Lopez is that his stuff has regressed considerably since the Sox called him up from Charlotte. 

He was sitting 96-97 and topping at 99 with a nasty curve and changeup when he got called up. 

Now he's sitting 93-94 and topping at 96 while featuring an average slider and the change is very inconsistent, if still good when located. 

I think a Lopez/Benintendi swap would be good for both parties, as Boston needs SP and the Sox need a LH OF. Both guys are disappointing former top prospects that have regressed since their successful rookie season. 

26 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think a Lopez/Benintendi swap would be good for both parties, as Boston needs SP and the Sox need a LH OF. Both guys are disappointing former top prospects that have regressed since their successful rookie season. 

I would be highly disappointed if they brought in another project. There is no time for that at this point, your contention window is open now. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I would be highly disappointed if they brought in another project. There is no time for that at this point, your contention window is open now. 

They need to focus the majority of their budget on getting the best pair of SP that they can. They can hide a project in RF because the rest of the offense is so damn good. Whether it's Mazara cheaply again after a non-tender or Benintendi, it's far easier for the Sox to hide a project in RF than it is for them to hide projects in the rotation. 

Also, who knows if there will be a MiLB season next year? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

36 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The big thing about Lopez is that his stuff has regressed considerably since the Sox called him up from Charlotte. 

He was sitting 96-97 and topping at 99 with a nasty curve and changeup when he got called up. 

Now he's sitting 93-94 and topping at 96 while featuring an average slider and the change is very inconsistent, if still good when located. 

Certainly wouldn't be the worst deal RH ever made.

33 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They need to focus the majority of their budget on getting the best pair of SP that they can. They can hide a project in RF because the rest of the offense is so damn good. Whether it's Mazara cheaply again after a non-tender or Benintendi, it's far easier for the Sox to hide a project in RF than it is for them to hide projects in the rotation. 

They can’t take for granted the whole offense will be as good as it was in 2020. Punting in RF seems like a mistake to me, especially given some of the injury issues Yoan and Eloy have. As we’re seeing in the postseason, teams that are winning are winning due to the long ball.

20 minutes ago, fathom said:

They can’t take for granted the whole offense will be as good as it was in 2020. Punting in RF seems like a mistake to me, especially given some of the injury issues Yoan and Eloy have. As we’re seeing in the postseason, teams that are winning are winning due to the long ball.

What’s your hope for RF fathom?

37 minutes ago, fathom said:

Right now there are 3 holes in the rotation and 1 hole in the offense, with quite possibly every team in baseball on a limited budget. The way I look at it is it's an either/or proposition. They can fix RF and go cheap at SP again, and hope the young guys develop with a kick ass offense, or they can fix SP and try to hide the hole in RF. The SP are so bad outside of Giolito and Keuchel, that I don't think they can even make the playoffs over 162 if they don't fix SP. They are at a point that they can only afford to break in one young SP per season. Next year that will be Kopech, the year after it will be Crochet. In the best case scenario, both guys turn out to be the super studs we think they are and it frees up money to fill RF. I think Cease becomes a trade chip, as both Kopech and Crochet have shown more ability in the command/control category. 

Crochet is probably on the Chris Sale plan of bullpen in 2021, and if he's as dominant as we think he can be, and stays healthy slides right into the MLB rotation as the 5th starter in 2022. 

If they wanted to flip Cease for a long-term, cost controlled fix in RF that wouldn't be a bad option either. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If we add Springer, I think our pitching upgrades are going to leave a lot to be desired.  Would you be ok with that?

Yeah I could see them adding Q and a lower tiered swing man (McHugh) for pitching and just loading up the offense.  I also really do wonder if they will try to trade Grandal and bring back McCann.  

16 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Right now there are 3 holes in the rotation and 1 hole in the offense, with quite possibly every team in baseball on a limited budget. The way I look at it is it's an either/or proposition. They can fix RF and go cheap at SP again, and hope the young guys develop with a kick ass offense, or they can fix SP and try to hide the hole in RF. The SP are so bad outside of Giolito and Keuchel, that I don't think they can even make the playoffs over 162 if they don't fix SP. They are at a point that they can only afford to break in one young SP per season. Next year that will be Kopech, the year after it will be Crochet. In the best case scenario, both guys turn out to be the super studs we think they are and it frees up money to fill RF. I think Cease becomes a trade chip, as both Kopech and Crochet have shown more ability in the command/control category. 

Crochet is probably on the Chris Sale plan of bullpen in 2021, and if he's as dominant as we think he can be, and stays healthy slides right into the MLB rotation as the 5th starter in 2022. 

They are 100% giving a spot to Dane Dunning next year and I think we should all have pretty high confidence in him being a solid back of the rotation starter at minimum.  And at some point, Kopech should force his way into the mix, which means we’ll be developing two young starters next year. Therefore, the key is getting best starting pitcher possible to plug into one of the #1 to #3 spots.  If we want to add another back-end guy that’s fine, but there is no way the Sox plan to only develop one young guy next year.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah I could see them adding Q and a lower tiered swing man (McHugh) for pitching and just loading up the offense.  I also really do wonder if they will try to trade Grandal and bring back McCann.  

If Quintana is our big rotation upgrade then I think we’re in big trouble next year and I say that even if that means we get Springer.  I do like the McHugh idea depending on what else we do, but not sure the front office would sign him after he called them out for service time manipulation.

Also, there is zero chance they are moving Grandal in some crazy attempt to bring back McCann.  I’m generally curious why you think this, although I’m guessing it’s due to Stone’s comments on Twitter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They are 100% giving a spot to Dane Dunning next year and I think we should all have pretty high confidence in him being a solid back of the rotation starter at minimum.  And at some point, Kopech should force his way into the mix, which we’ll be developing two young starters next year. Therefore, the key is getting best starting pitcher possible to plug into one of the #1 to #3 spots.  If we want to add another back-end guy that’s fine, but there is no way the Sox plan to only develop one young guy next year.

Forgot about Dunning for a bit. D'oh

I guess if they need to fill only one SP spot, they might be able to fill both RF and SP if they go for a B option in both spots. But the way I look at it is that their either going to be able to get Stroman/Odorizzi or a non-Springer option in RF, not both. I don't see them participating in the Bauer and Springer markets. 

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

They're desperately trying to resign McCann.  I don't think they'll trade Grandal but McCann will get the lion share of the starts behind the plate if they're able to bring him back.  

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

In reality when payroll is below league average your budget should be able to include a couple starters and a RF......covid or no covid, every single team dealt with the same thing. Now is not the time to cry poor.

• bmags locked this topic