Offseason Targets

soxfan49

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If Hahn was not allowed to hire his own manager he would probably quit.  This Jerry is going to override the front office and force them hire La Russa is total bullshit.  That is not how the dude operates.  I’d wager large sums of money that Hinch will be the manger within 10 days after the World Series.

#ReadTheTeaLeaves

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If Hahn was not allowed to hire his own manager he would probably quit.  This Jerry is going to override the front office and force them hire La Russa is total bullshit.  That is not how the dude operates.  I’d wager large sums of money that Hinch will be the manger within 10 days after the World Series.

A lot you all have never worked in management, and it shows.  Hahn may be A boss, but he isn't THE boss.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

A lot you all have never worked in management, and it shows.  Hahn may be A boss, but he isn't THE boss.

If Rick Hahn is in that position and ownership flat out is ignoring him, he shouldn't resign because he's being ignored, he should be replaced and/or resign because their working relationship is that toxic. The idea that ownership is constantly overruling Rick Hahn and telling him to do things he adamantly refuses to do is nonsense. Hahn may not like it, but at the very least he's on board with it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If Rick Hahn is in that position and ownership flat out is ignoring him, he shouldn't resign because he's being ignored, he should be replaced and/or resign because their working relationship is that toxic. The idea that ownership is constantly overruling Rick Hahn and telling him to do things he adamantly refuses to do is nonsense. Hahn may not like it, but at the very least he's on board with it.

Obviously this is taken to the usual extreme, but I don't think JR makes every decision,  but at the same time if he tells Rick to take TLR seriously as a candidate or flat out tells him to hire Tony, is he going to say no?  Does he really want to opt for unemployment when pretty much every front office is on the chopping block?  

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Worked in management?  What in the world are you talking about?  A GM that is being forced to hire the owner’s long-time buddy to manage his team clearly doesn’t have the proper influence or decision making authority to be successful and would likely quit.  I don’t care what badass job you think you had that makes you feel otherwise, but you are wrong here.  A manager who doesn’t get to hire their direct reports is only a manager in title.  It’s really that simple.  

And when has Jerry ever forced a manager on one of his GMs?  The only thing even remotely close was the Guillen situation and he ultimately sided with KW.  For fuck’s sake, he let Hawk fire La Russa years ago and supported Krause at the expense of Jackson.  I’m sure Jerry is involved in the decision-making process, but he’s not going to force his front office to hire certain people.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Obviously this is taken to the usual extreme, but I don't think JR makes every decision,  but at the same time if he tells Rick to take TLR seriously as a candidate or flat out tells him to hire Tony, is he going to say no?  Does he really want to opt for unemployment when pretty much every front office is on the chopping block?  

He's made 7 figures for 8 years now. Go "Spend time with your family" if the relationship is that toxic that you tell ownership "This is the wrong decision" and they do that. 

He might well give them like 4 options, one of which is LaRussa, but then he will want some input on the setup somehow, whether that is players or coaching staff or length of contract or whatever it takes. If ownership is going to insist on LaRussa, under some imaginary circumstance against the will of Rick Hahn, then Hahn will at least give a setup that he's willing to accept.

The reality, of course, is that Rick Hahn was probably intrigued by the idea, happy to talk to the guy, and if ownership is big into it, then he'll evaluate his interview and see how it goes. Frankly, I'd be intrigued by the chance to do the interview and see how it went if I was in his role, but in the back of my mind I'd know it was the wrong fit.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Worked in management?  What in the world are you talking about?  A GM that is being forced to hire the owner’s long-time buddy to manage his team clearly doesn’t have the proper influence or decision making authority to be successful and would likely quit.  I don’t care what badass job you think you had that makes you feel otherwise, but you are wrong here.  A manager who doesn’t get to hire their direct reports is only a manager in title.  It’s really that simple.  

And when has Jerry ever forced a manager on one of his GMs?  The only thing even remotely close was the Guillen situation and he ultimately sided with KW.  For fuck’s sake, he let Hawk fire La Russa years ago and supported Krause at the expense of Jackson.  I’m sure Jerry is involved in the decision-making process, but he’s not going to force his front office to hire certain people.

If JR told Hahn its TLR, then he is hiring TLR. That's what being a middle manager is.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He's made 7 figures for 8 years now. Go "Spend time with your family" if the relationship is that toxic that you tell ownership "This is the wrong decision" and they do that. 

He might well give them like 4 options, one of which is LaRussa, but then he will want some input on the setup somehow, whether that is players or coaching staff or length of contract or whatever it takes. If ownership is going to insist on LaRussa, under some imaginary circumstance against the will of Rick Hahn, then Hahn will at least give a setup that he's willing to accept.

The reality, of course, is that Rick Hahn was probably intrigued by the idea, happy to talk to the guy, and if ownership is big into it, then he'll evaluate his interview and see how it goes. Frankly, I'd be intrigued by the chance to do the interview and see how it went if I was in his role, but in the back of my mind I'd know it was the wrong fit.

Like say being able to name the pitching coach?

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I mean that would be plausible. "Fine, you get the guy who passed out drunk at a stoplight but at least I get ____ as the pitching coach as I know I can work with them". 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I hope not. I also would be surprised if MLB doesn't want him to manage this soon after the big cheating scandal. Did Alomar get interviewed? Anyone know? 

33 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

You’re scaring me here. Are you actually saying that JR might hire TLR and then tell Hahn he can have his choice of pitching coach?

I’ve been assuming it’s only a matter of time until we hire Hinch. 

• Like 1

So Harold is basically implying Reinsdorf & KW want La Russa and don’t give a fuck what Hahn thinks.  I truly believe Harold has access to inside info, but I call bullshit on all of this.  If they were going to force La Russa on Hahn it would already be done by now...they wouldn’t make Hahn go through a charade of an interview process.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

What a silly thing to say. Do you think that Reinny micro-manages the white sox? I don't. I don't like Reinny as an owner through history but I don't think he micro manages. Hell, he let Hawk fire LaRussa years ago despite there being such "good friends". I don't see anywhere evidence of Reinny naming previous managers. Hell, maybe the Sox might have been better off if he did:)

3 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

What a silly thing to say. Do you think that Reinny micro-manages the white sox? I don't. I don't like Reinny as an owner through history but I don't think he micro manages. Hell, he let Hawk fire LaRussa years ago despite there being such "good friends". I don't see anywhere evidence of Reinny naming previous managers. Hell, maybe the Sox might have been better off if he did:)

If the Sox are serious about TLR, there is no better statement that Rick Hahn isn't getting what he wants. NOTHING about Tony fits with what RHs wishlist was just a few short weeks ago.

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

You realize this would be a pretty big right? The owner installing his own manager and bypassing his GM and President?

Maybe the old tyrant Georgie S. with the Yankees would do it, but not Reinny.

7 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

I mean, if LaRussa is hired as the next manager of this team, then there won't be any doubt who hired him. I've wanted Rick Hahn tarred and feathered since 2016, and even I'd have to say that one is clearly the ownership micro and macromanaging.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So Harold is basically implying Reinsdorf & KW want La Russa and don’t give a fuck what Hahn thinks.  I truly believe Harold has access to inside info, but I call bullshit on all of this.  If they were going to force La Russa on Hahn it would already be done by now...they wouldn’t make Hahn go through a charade of an interview process.

MLB asked for no managerial announcements during World Series

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Can't announce until after World Series.

Edit: someone beat me to it.

Edited by manbearpuig

Does talking cryptically in the form of questions protect somebody's source? You're making the same statement, just in an annoying and slightly inconvenient way. 

Maybe his source views this forum but is a dope. The question marks throw him off. 

• Like 2

• bmags locked this topic