2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Its over:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/121120zr_p860.pdf

155, ORIG. TEXAS V. PENNSYLVANIA, ET AL. The State of Texas’s motion for leave to file a bill of complaint is denied for lack of standing under Article III of the Constitution. Texas has not demonstrated a judicially cognizable interest in the manner in which another State conducts its elections. All other pending motions are dismissed as moot.

Statement of Justice Alito, with whom Justice Thomas joins: In my view, we do not have discretion to deny the filing of a bill of complaint in a case that falls within our original jurisdiction. See Arizona v. California, 589 U. S. ___ (Feb. 24, 2020) (Thomas, J., dissenting). I would therefore grant the motion to file the bill of complaint but would not grant other relief, and I express no view on any other issue.

I am grateful but so tired of this. Make America Grateful Again. Thank God for our judiciary ethics. 

25 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

LOL at you seeming to think this had any other possible outcome.

If 5 years ago you had asked me if a state would be joined by 15+ other states and 100 congressman trying to throw out millions of votes, id have laughed and said it is the stupidest thing ive heard.

So while I believed that the SC would see it for garbage, it isnt so far fetched when I see the other nonsense that has occurred the last 5 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The elections by the key state hadn't been certified, and there wasn't a trail of frivolous lawsuits after it had been.

I think there was. I remember it not being settled until close to the inauguration day

36 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

A 1% chance of the complete collapse of US democracy and establishment of a one party dictatorship is substantially higher than I would like it to be.

I dislike the 2 party system. Which is why I rarely vote for either in the Presidential election. They both are too extremely recently. Not enough moderates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Fair enough, not clear you were referencing other conversations.

Also, I know @pcq isn’t up to the task, but I’d be interested in hearing how this all has to do with white supremacy. It’s easy to blame that as some sort of boogeyman, but I’d say the Texas lawsuit has more to do with Ken Paxton seeking a last minute pardon for his indictments than anything else. And other hangers-on not having the guts to challenge the Trump base and tell them to fuck off.

3 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

Its a completely different argument and the lawyers who argued Bush v Gore  agree. Here is an article by the 2 lawyers,  David Boies and Theodore B. Olson, who argued that case about what is going on right now:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/boies-olson-lawyers-bush-gore-2000-joe-biden-president/2020/11/14/1e113520-25ff-11eb-8672-c281c7a2c96e_story.html

There is no plausible legal basis for federal courts to revisit this decision by state legislators — particularly after the election is over and voters have relied on existing state law when choosing how to vote.

Political candidates, however, have an obligation not to inflame passions and undermine the public’s faith in democracy with unsupported charges of fraud and malfeasance. And the lawyers who represent those candidates have an obligation to the courts, of which they are officers, not to make frivolous claims or arguments.

Past losers of presidential elections, however stinging their defeats, have ultimately decided to make peace with the opposing camp. Former vice president Gore did so, admirably, when Bush v. Gore was resolved. The sooner that Trump and his supporters accept the election result, the better it will be for the nation.

This article was written on November 14, almost a month ago. To the best of my knowledge every lawyer involved in Bush v Gore refused to be a part of Trump's lawsuit. The solicitor general of Texas (the person who is appointed to file lawsuits on behalf of the state) refused to file this lawsuit.

I agree there was no legal basis. That doesn't stop them from trying. I guess that was more my point. When one party doesn't like the close decision, they will come up with dumbass lawsuits justified or not.

Just now, ptatc said:

I dislike the 2 party system. Which is why I rarely vote for either in the Presidential election. They both are too extremely recently. Not enough moderates.

This was about 1 party declaring that votes for the other party don't count. Is permanent 1 party rule with wins by other parties declared illegal preferable? Because that's what this has been about, so unless you're going to tell us why it's important that democracy ends, maybe not the best time for that discussion.

• Thanks 2

And yet the Fed will continue to print waaaaay more cash and people will still argue about this white supremacism like it matters.   And Biden will take credit for the roaring economic recovery that Trump took credit for that Obama originally hailed as a slow recovery.  

But all it is is the Fed printing cash and soon the price of consumer goods will inflate so much that people will actually call for MORE government as the solution.  And that will be the end.  

buy yes let’s call Republicans bad and Democrats good today.  Let’s argue about level 1 stuff while level 10 flies right overhead.  Let’s talk about racism while the government steals your savings, pension, 401k and purchasing power right out from under you.   

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

And yet the Fed will continue to print waaaaay more cash and people will still argue about this white supremacism like it matters.   And Biden will take credit for the roaring economic recovery that Trump took credit for that Obama originally hailed as a slow recovery.  

But all it is is the Fed printing cash and soon the price of consumer goods will inflate so much that people will actually call for MORE government as the solution.  And that will be the end.  

buy yes let’s call Republicans bad and Democrats good today.  Let’s argue about level 1 stuff while level 10 flies right overhead.  Let’s talk about racism while the government steals your savings, pension, 401k and purchasing power right out from under you.   

My Rick Hahn rantings are more coherent.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

This was about 1 party declaring that votes for the other party don't count. Is permanent 1 party rule with wins by other parties declared illegal preferable? Because that's what this has been about, so unless you're going to tell us why it's important that democracy ends, maybe not the best time for that discussion.

I guess I didn't articulate it properly.  I meant i don't like only 2 parties.  There is too much us against them extremism. I would like 3 so that it isn't so binary.

4 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

A grain or two of truth among the chaff there.  But taken as a whole, incoherent.

One side effect of this is the president who lost by a little over 7 million votes refused to assist the President-elect transition into power, and he did so during a huge national crisis. And he did it just because his over-inflated ego couldn't handle the fact that his orange ass got kicked.

The other disturbing thing is that there are plenty of people who still buy what this con-man says even though he lies every time he opens his mouth. If you are really worried about losing your individual rights or your 401ks or what ever, do you really think orange-ade gives a shit? Think again, or maybe think for the first time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1