2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

7 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

You missed my point. "Having the most votes ever", not "Trump losing the popular vote twice", is what I called meaningless. Of course Joe Biden got more votes than Truman 1948- the country has twice the population as it did then. We are going to constantly demolish this record. If a candidate in the 2060 presidential election doesn't blow Biden's vote total out of the water, I hope that candidate doesn't share my views because his loss will have been nuclear.

He is going to wind up with 10 million more votes than anyone ever received except Barrack Obama in 2008. He will have him by 6 million. It is significant. Many are just votes against Trump, but the participation in this election during a pandemic, when it could be so easy for people to tune out, is outstanding.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He is going to wind up with 10 million more votes than anyone ever received except Barrack Obama in 2008. He will have him by 6 million. It is significant. Many are just votes against Trump, but the participation in this election during a pandemic, when it could be so easy for people to tune out, is outstanding.

I think it's great. I wanted Trump to lose badly and I encourage mass voter turnout. I just don't think "most votes ever" is a significant metric when you consider population growth. I think it'd be worrisome if we didn't break that record anew every four years, honestly.

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Trump Jr. 2024

He'll be such a has been by then. For a couple of years, Trump will be a name the base can't get enough of but like everything else, they will be looking for the new best thing soon enough. I do think there are many republican politicians who will be relieved this is over in January. 

This guy was a 1 term POTUS. That rarely happens. The Trump name is only going to become less popular as time goes on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danny Dravot said:

I think it's great. I wanted Trump to lose badly and I encourage mass voter turnout. I just don't think "most votes ever" is a significant metric when you consider population growth. I think it'd be worrisome if we didn't break that record anew every four years, honestly.

They didn't break the 2008 record in 2012 or 2016. You still have to get people to vote.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

He'll be such a has been by then. For a couple of years, Trump will be a name the base can't get enough of but like everything else, they will be looking for the new best thing soon enough. I do think there are many republican politicians who will be relieved this is over in January. 

This guy was a 1 term POTUS. That rarely happens. The Trump name is only going to become less popular as time goes on.

I remember back to 2016 when Trump's outright racism and ignorance propelled a boost of excitement from the GOP base that we haven't ever seen, and he swept to the top of the polls almost instantly because of it. I see plenty of reasons to suspect that is exactly what the GOP base will continue to want, and if they're running against standard politicians like Pence and Haley...they could go straight for it again. Who else is going to openly court the angry racist and ignorant vote?

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I remember back to 2016 when Trump's outright racism and ignorance propelled a boost of excitement from the GOP base that we haven't ever seen, and he swept to the top of the polls almost instantly because of it. I see plenty of reasons to suspect that is exactly what the GOP base will continue to want, and if they're running against standard politicians like Pence and Haley...they could go straight for it again. Who else is going to openly court the angry racist and ignorant vote?

Tom Cotton and Josh Hawley

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There will be someone new. There always is.  People who were supposed to be the darlings of their party and future POTUS, rarely ever follow through. 

The rising stars almost always fade out. Trump will have 8 million fewer votes in 2 elections than his dem opponent. Jr. is a poor man's version of him. He would get trounced even worse. 

Plus, Jr. might be doing time in 4 years.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Hope everyone is ready for Tucker Carlson

1 minute ago, mqr said:

It's honestly shocking how calm this has all been. 

I mean, a lot of that is law enforcement (or whatever other security they're using) having planned for this well beforehand, because people spent months gaming out worst case scenarios of what Trump might do.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I mean, a lot of that is law enforcement (or whatever other security they're using) having planned for this well beforehand, because people spent months gaming out worst case scenarios of what Trump might do.

He's got a couple months more to make an even bigger mockery of his office. I think his lame duck status is very dangerous. If there was an adult in the room, they would at least consider a 25th amendment action.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He's got a couple months more to make an even bigger mockery of his office. I think his lame duck status is very dangerous. If there was an adult in the room, they would at least consider a 25th amendment action.

While that's true, people in the government now need to worry about their own party. Especially with 2 senate runoffs next month - there are levels of "bad" that he can pull off that could cost them those seats. 

They're also going to have a hell of a problem with hospitals nationwide in a week or two. Virtually everywhere.

1 hour ago, NWINFan said:

I would want some sort of verification of this to even begin to believe it. ... Yeah, this was something out of Orwell all right. 

I saw it with my own eyes on stream and Wheeler tweeted about it today. The mob is real and it's nightly in Portland. The 20 to 30 something white thugs dress in full body armor with shields and umbrellas every night and march and terrorize. It's real and yes it's Orwellian. They want blood. They usually settle on smashing up cars and windows of stores and throw molotov's at cops and into buildings. It's insane and yes I fear it. Wrong place wrong time ... boom, bat to the head. Again I don't care which side is doing it. I want 'em arrested. Fat chance. They get off when 'arrested.'

• Haha 2

In 2000 I had played golf that afternoon and eventually four of us left our club about 4 am while watching the results. Felt bad for the staff member who had to stay. 

I'll remember 2020 as spending days with y'all. Thank you. As a long time poster here there are so many moments that have become interwoven with Soxtalk. 

24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Hmmmm ... the tape I watched showed Hillary saying Biden must not concede if somehow Trump won again (yeah right, like that was going to happen). Hillary started it saying Joe must not step down if somehow he loses. Must contest the election she said. Trump will step down soon. This is all part of the plan and it's worked to a T. Smart money was on Joe and those people have profited well at the oddsmakers.

When Demos get the Senate which will happen u all won't have to worry about a Republican seriously contending ever again. 

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I saw it with my own eyes on stream and Wheeler tweeted about it today. The mob is real and it's nightly in Portland. The 20 to 30 something white thugs dress in full body armor with shields and umbrellas every night and march and terrorize. It's real and yes it's Orwellian. They want blood. They usually settle on smashing up cars and windows of stores and throw molotov's at cops and into buildings. It's insane and yes I fear it. Wrong place wrong time ... boom, bat to the head. Again I don't care which side is doing it. I want 'em arrested. Fat chance. They get off when 'arrested.'

As a republican which you kind of claim to be who cares.  I am a republican and I dont care.  I really dont care that agent orange is out of the white house.  The only thing he did was to screw up our party.  I don't live in Oregon.  You don't live in Oregon.  If you did live in Oregon, then move. If their moronic local and state gov wants to deal with the antifa and the proud boys playing "Gangs of New York  LARP battle royale" then great.  Once again.  I don't live there.  Stupid games will win stupid prizes in the end.   Maybe one of them next can bring a wooden horse to the others side and see if that finally breaks the spat between two groups of morons.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 2