Passan: Springer to White Sox not happening

KrankinSox

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So the reports of us offering Springer were a lie? I don't understand.

We probably offered him 4 years and 80 million and called it an "offer". If we aren't going all out to sign Bauer or Springer we are doing this wrong. Now is the time to take on a big 4 or maybe year deal that would expire when our youngins start making big dollars. 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

We probably offered him 4 years and 80 million and called it an "offer". If we aren't going all out to sign Bauer or Springer we are doing this wrong. Now is the time to take on a big 4 or maybe year deal that would expire when our youngins start making big dollars. 

Yeah, at this point if I were Rick Hahn I'd be looking to move on to greener pastures. If he wants to stick it out a year or two to see what his guys do, that would make sense, but if ownership is going to hire your manager without your approval, and then refuse to spend on any real talent, why would you want to work for that guy? Such a weird situation. The Sox are the cheapest team, in terms of paying high end talent, in all of the game possibly. That's embarrassing.

And people like Harold have the nerve to say Hahn never signs good FA which is why Jerry is reluctant lol; as if Hahn is supposed to find stars in the bargain bin.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I feel like we’ll be signing a B tier OF sometime this week and this story is just our front office reestablishing expectations with the fanbase.

That being said, saying Jerry Reinsdorf doesn’t “pay nine figures for anyone” in the year 2020 is one of the most pathetic statements I have heard in regard to a sports owner in my lifetime as a fan.  A $100M contract is nothing crazy in this day and age and acting like it is fucking ridiculous.

I kind of agree with.  Can't teach the old dog a new trick, yet AAVs continue to go higher.  Still, this is the guy who didn't want to go over 4 years for Mark Buehrle of all people and dragged that issue on forever.  I mean it's MB for fuck's sake.  You can't stomach 1 potential bad contract year for MB?  After all he's done here?

Same old bag of assholes we're talking about.  Yes he authorized the longer deal for Manny.  We will see.  But usually 4 years is where he tops out unless there are team options in it.  5 or 6 guaranteed years isn't his thing and for a good player with a high AAV that'll put it near or over that $100M threshold.

9 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

That’s the thing, usually the player that isn't discussed as a possibility for them as much is usually the one they sign. They thrive under stealth mode. That’s just the way they have operated for years.

The sox don't do well under stealth mode, they just don't sign high profile players that reporters cover. The stealth mode stuff may have been a thing with KW trades, but hasn't been a thing for years and years.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

We were always led to believe that when this rebuild was over, the money would be there to sign the top guys. Here we go shopping the clearance aisle again. 

Yup, this is my entire point.

This team spent no money for YEARS under the guise that they were going to spend when the time came to supplement their core. They said such over and over. They made money hand over foot without investing in a quality product for years. Now that time is here and we're talking about signing the same shit level players we've been signing for years. I will never stick through another rebuild with this organization for as long as Jerry owns the team. The point of that horrible product we were asked to watch for years was that in the end, it would be worth it and they would invest in the product. They were full of shit.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Maybe 4 years $25M per at $100M but that 5th year must be a TO or something vesting at the very least which the Sox can easily control, ala Yonder Alonso's option.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

We were always led to believe that when this rebuild was over, the money would be there to sign the top guys. Here we go shopping the clearance aisle again. 

We still have no idea if they will take on significant money via trade for pitching. Also, I think it’s bogus for people to not acknowledge that all budget decisions got blown up over the last year due to a pandemic. There’s a reason only 3-5 teams are expected to increase payroll (and Sox are one of them)

1 minute ago, fathom said:

We still have no idea if they will take on significant money via trade for pitching. Also, I think it’s bogus for people to not acknowledge that all budget decisions got blown up over the last year due to a pandemic. There’s a reason only 3-5 teams are expected to increase payroll (and Sox are one of them)

This should never be "expected" when Jerry owns the team. 

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Maybe 4 years $25M per at $100M but that 5th year must be a TO or something vesting at the very least which the Sox can easily control, ala Yonder Alonso's option.

Springer wants to stay in CF, wants to go to east coast and wants to lead off. The Mets have always been the easiest prediction of the offseason.

Just now, fathom said:

The Sox are in an extremely unique position after operating with much lower payrolls for several years, and also, having a championship core all locked up for several years in arb and pre-arb stage.  "Buying" a championship via FA is exactly what is expected for any org in baseball in such a position as us.  Let's not give the old fuck any credit here.  This opportunity was "earned" in large part by cutting payroll and intentionally losing for several consecutive seasons.

Just now, manbearpuig said:

Jerry is getting up there in age to the point where he probably wouldn't even be paying the last couple years of a potential long-term deal. That also scares me and makes me feel like prospects can be dealt in a "go for it" season in a year or two as he also realizes this.

LOL don't underestimate the ability of a stubborn old coot to retain, and to even in fact relish, every ounce of his stubbornness all the way to the grave.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wasting assets when we could be accomplishing the same thing without giving away pieces that could help us in the future.

Outside of Bauer (who you hate anyways), is there a free agent pitcher you would want to pitch a key game in the postseason?  I swear it feels like some people are melting down this morning just cause they hate Jerry (god knows he needs to sell) or hate Tony so much that it’s ruined everything about the franchise for themselves.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Oh my... the Sox were printing money for the past few years without spending a dime on the product. They didn't lower ticket prices to accommodate the fact that they stopped spending money on  on-the-field talent. They didn't decrease their TV revenue. They made money hand over foot without even trying to put a quality product on the field.

Now that their time has come the excuse is the pandemic as if they haven't been stocking their ledger with cash for the past 15 years to cover something like this.

Why would the Sox take on significant money in a trade for pitching but not be willing to spend significant money on a "Free Agent."

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

It appears that some people on this board have already given up on the offseason. There hasn’t been any significant movement yet. Lol

I am not falling for this again.  When every sign is saying we are heading to the Dollar Store for off season shopping, no reason to expect a PS5 under the tree.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, fathom said:

Outside of Bauer (who you hate anyways), is there a free agent pitcher you would want to pitch a key game in the postseason?  I swear it feels like some people are melting down this morning just cause they hate Jerry (god knows he needs to sell) or hate Tony so much that it’s ruined everything about the franchise for themselves.

Why does it have to be "besides Bauer"?  The dude is exactly what we need.

Next level commitment to the bit.  

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Oh my... the Sox were printing money for the past few years without spending a dime on the product. They didn't lower ticket prices to accommodate the fact that they stopped spending money on  on-the-field talent. They didn't decrease their TV revenue. They made money hand over foot without even trying to put a quality product on the field.

Now that their time has come the excuse is the pandemic as if they haven't been stocking their ledger with cash for the past 15 years to cover something like this.

Why would the Sox take on significant money in a trade for pitching but not be willing to spend significant money on a "Free Agent."

Because outside of Springer (who doesn’t want to play RF) and Bauer, there are better championship winning options available via trade.  

The first report from a national writer on the White Sox off-season is "they're not in on this player because he's a high tier talent in FA" and you don't understand how that is frustrating to fans who have watched this episode play on repeat for 40 years?

• Like 3