Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

6 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

The Sox will probably have to overpay to get it done but I don’t really care.

Not a huge fan of overpaying for a closer, I would prefer we overpay for a game changing starting pitcher. Not hating on the guy just don’t have a warm and fuzzy and could see the money being used elsewhere more productively

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Not a huge fan of overpaying for a closer, I would prefer we overpay for a game changing starting pitcher. Not hating on the guy just don’t have a warm and fuzzy and could see the money being used elsewhere more productively

Well they aren’t going to get Bauer so I don’t know what other starting pitcher they could even overpay for. Maybe Kluber.

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That means nothing. They were also "confident" right before Machado signed with the Padres. 

That’s true. The Sox can only control their side of the equation and they could feel confident even if Hendriks doesn’t truly feel that way. They are also dealing with the same agent but it’s time to put the Machado stuff to rest. I would hope they learned their lesson from Machado. They went in hot with offers for Grandal, Keuchel and Wheeler (who may be the only professional athlete the world that actually left money on the table for geography so I can’t blame them for the outcome). I doubt they are pursuing Hendriks in a way that’s even close to Machado. They reportedly signed Eaton to afford him. They seem to be either completely out on players and vocal about it or in on players and serious about. I think half way pursuits are a thing of the past.

Edited by Orlando

3 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Jerry is not going beyond 5 years for a game-changing SP, so outside of Springer this is the next best option IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I want Hendriks more than I have ever wanted a reliever. 

100% agree.  We’ve wasted tons of money over the years on B & C tier guys.  Let’s finally stop throwing away money and just sign arguably the best reliever in baseball while the rest of our relief corp is dirt cheap.  Hendriks is potentially a game-changer for us, especially come October.

It sounds like they caved on the 4th year as others have suggested. On the one hand that doesn't seem too smart, on the other hand, we know they have to overpay to get anything done and we are all tired of JR pinching pennies. 

I hope they can still get that LH bat (actually two of them, La Stella PLUS Schwarber) and 4th SP. 

I wonder if they can ship off ReyLo to save a little coin in order to help offset Schwarber's 5m. La Stella should be around 7m or so. 

17 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I want Hendriks more than I have ever wanted a reliever. 

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree.  We’ve wasted tons of money over the years on B & C tier guys.  Let’s finally stop throwing away money and just sign arguably the best reliever in baseball while the rest of our relief corp is dirt cheap.  Hendriks is potentially a game-changer for us, especially come October.

This is bad juju. Do you want to turn Hendriks into Billy Koch? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

If the Sox are rolling with Cease, Reylo/Bridge then Kopech...they are going to need innings.  

sign me up for 70 dominant innings added.  Expensive, but it’s not like we can’t use the help. 

Bullpen is going to be tough to get through 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Billy Koch was, in fact, good until he got to the White Sox and promptly lost 7-8 mph off his fastball. He went from 99-101 to 93-94. 

Billy Koch’s best K/9 was 9.18 whereas Hendriks has been around 13.14 the last two seasons.  There is nothing comparable about the two other than they both have been closers.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Billy Koch’s best K/9 was 9.18 whereas Hendriks has been around 13.14 the last two seasons.  There is nothing comparable about the two other than they both have been closers.

I edited my post. I thought he was good besides that one year in Oakland but it just wasn't the case. 

I was talking about a guy that became a member of the Sox and just completely sucked. 

Also, there were a lot fewer strikeouts in 2003 vs now. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, you're right. He had one good season with Oakland and then suck all around. 

Thanks for saving me time of citing stats, lol. 

I was pissed when that trade was made because not only was Keith Foulke my favorite pitcher at the time, he was the superior reliever.

The most value Koch provided in his “good” season in 2002 was his amount of appearances and innings, which most likely led to his massive drop in velocity the next season with the Sox.  All his other numbers were very pedestrian.

Edited by Sambuca
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Normally I would agree with you.  Although none shouldn't have to do with the other. Look at all the money wasted on free agents the last couple years the sox have made. Even if you get 3 good years out of Hendriks. I can live with him sucking the 4th year.  

6 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

Normally I would agree with you.  Although none shouldn't have to do with the other. Look at all the money wasted on free agents the last couple years the sox have made. Even if you get 3 good years out of Hendriks. I can live with him sucking the 4th year.  

If he sucks the 4th year, or even the 3rd, we will have an internal option to replace him. 

But I don't like this confidence. It seems to never work out this way.

12 minutes ago, South Sider said:

If he sucks the 4th year, or even the 3rd, we will have an internal option to replace him. 

But I don't like this confidence. It seems to never work out this way.

I don't disagree with you.  Sometimes you have to take that chance is all.   

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic