NFL 2021 offseason thread

One other data point I had forgotten about, but Derek Carr worked with DeFillipo his rookie year - so Defillipo has a connection to both Wentz and Carr.  Technically I believe he also was the OC in Jacksonville when Minshew broke out as a rookie...but I won't put Minshew in the same sentence as the other guys.  

now the posturing is the eagles aren't getting the offer they want, and on the other side team sources  publicly laughing at their requests.

So either this is about to be over, or was just a lot of bluster from Eagles. At this point he's certainly still getting traded, but may be a little while.

34 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Why is Brandon Marshall talking about the Bears getting Russell Wilson wtf

There was a report out there that the Seahawks were quietly shopping Russell Wilson. I presume there is absolutely 0 truth to that report - unless of course they are ready to switch Wilson for Watson. But I presume that report is straight up garbage.  

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

There was a report out there that the Seahawks were quietly shopping Russell Wilson. I presume there is absolutely 0 truth to that report - unless of course they are ready to switch Wilson for Watson. But I presume that report is straight up garbage.  

To be fair, he said the bears were calling or something like that.  Nothing like he was saying a trade was happening.  The bears could totally ask if he is available and what asking price is, doesn't mean they can do anything about it.

At this point, every league should be assuming their golden age of viewership rights is over and they need to be aggressive in building different streams that build revenue. I don't think merely streaming on different services accomplishes this, as viewership for younger demos was abysmal (and it supposedly includes streaming).

Maybe gambling takes care of all of it. Maybe this new "store of value" sensibility allows teams fun ways to raise money through some sort of tradeable market that pays out based of the year success. I have no clue. But "we'll let you stream our games for a fee, which you will make back in advertising" is broke and isn't coming back, and sports is not floating the model like it used to.

4 hours ago, bmags said:

At this point, every league should be assuming their golden age of viewership rights is over and they need to be aggressive in building different streams that build revenue. I don't think merely streaming on different services accomplishes this, as viewership for younger demos was abysmal (and it supposedly includes streaming).

Maybe gambling takes care of all of it. Maybe this new "store of value" sensibility allows teams fun ways to raise money through some sort of tradeable market that pays out based of the year success. I have no clue. But "we'll let you stream our games for a fee, which you will make back in advertising" is broke and isn't coming back, and sports is not floating the model like it used to.

IMO, viewership of football both college and pro was always greatly higher because of level of gambling.  Square pools, strip cards etc. more so for the Super Bowl parties garnered interest but also the neighborhood book let you bet on football.  it is simple and easy.  Other sports are more complex and easier to thing changes rapidly to hang on every play.

Now with online gambling you have options.

Advertising is always the key with live sports because you are not necessarily going to tune out but there is so much content out there that it is sapping interest that it makesthe match up more interesting.

53 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

IMO, viewership of football both college and pro was always greatly higher because of level of gambling.  Square pools, strip cards etc. more so for the Super Bowl parties garnered interest but also the neighborhood book let you bet on football.  it is simple and easy.  Other sports are more complex and easier to thing changes rapidly to hang on every play.

Now with online gambling you have options.

Advertising is always the key with live sports because you are not necessarily going to tune out but there is so much content out there that it is sapping interest that it makesthe match up more interesting.

I think Fantasy Football hurts ratings. People go to bars to watch the games instead of staying home where they can watch multiple games at the same time. There are a couple of places by me, pre Covid, that were packed every Sunday. Then, the first weekend of the playoffs, Fantasy leagues are done, the bars have plenty of room.

Im not really jumping to any conclusions about what is going to happen after covid. I think there are arguments to be made on both sides. My personal belief is that sports viewership has some connection to the ability to watch in person. I know that doesnt seem to correlate, but I personally have felt less connected since covid happened. Maybe that is permanent, maybe it comes back. For whatever reason, none of these seasons seem "real" to me. So I am finding myself less engaged.

6 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Im not really jumping to any conclusions about what is going to happen after covid. I think there are arguments to be made on both sides. My personal belief is that sports viewership has some connection to the ability to watch in person. I know that doesnt seem to correlate, but I personally have felt less connected since covid happened. Maybe that is permanent, maybe it comes back. For whatever reason, none of these seasons seem "real" to me. So I am finding myself less engaged.

Yes, I sort of feel the same way. It's like every game is an exhibition.  It just doesn't seem real. I watched the White Sox with glee, but the other teams, I was barely paying attention a lot more than usual.

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I'd be more intrigued but seems like nfl players write weird tenses all the time. Like it's gonna come out and he'll be like "I was just saying I like everyone chill"

OR welcome to the bears GARDNER MINSHEW

10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Some reason I thought it would be up, thanks to the fact that a fair amount of America may not have had parties, meaning more individual TVs on. So much for that.