How To Fix the Pen

Lillian

35 minutes ago, beautox said:

I think the white sox will just continue with what they have up till the deadline and if they're looking for an arm it'll be below retail. With their current position they have the luxury of time as they move to the deadline. Looking at the remainder of this year and going into next I imagine this is what the bullpen looks like

CL Hendriks (32) Hendriks (33)
SU Bummer* (27) Bummer* (28)
SU Heuer (24) Heuer (25)
MR Fry* (27) Fry* (28)
MR Foster (26) Foster (27)
MR Ruiz (26) Ruiz (27)
RP Crochet* (22) Burr (28)
LR Kopech (25) Crochet* (23)

With Burr, Marshall, Cordero, Burdi, Lambert, and Pilkington all looking to break in the near future.

Having said all that they need to begin to move Sheets, Burger, possibly Stiever, Lopez, Johnson, possibly Burdi, Adolfo, and Rutherford to clear space on the 40 man and garner some type return; even if its lotto tickets with one tool down in A ball.

If the future outfield is going to be Eloy, Robert, and Vaughn with Eloy the first to eventually be moved, then Adolfo and Rutherford serve as nothing more than depth buried behind former major leaguers and 5/6th outfielder types like Gonzalez.

Why would you sell so early on Burger when he still has to prove he can remain healthy for a full season and can play an above average big league 3B?

That provides a lot more value than Sheets, Gonzalez, Adolfo and Rutherford combined.

If they get far enough ahead in the second half, personally would like to see Adolfo get some big league at-bats and see if there’s anything there before we lose him for good...that said, it’s 90-95% likely his shot comes from a rebuilding organization with Cespedes and Colas coming up behind him and applying pressure.  Of not for all the injuries, he might have been ready in 2020 or definitely this season but unfortunately one too many setbacks it seems.

• Haha 1

If you are going to upgrade the roster, it will most likely require giving up some young talent in return. We have been winning with some weaknesses in the outfield and bullpen.  There is help on the way w Roberts and Eloy coming back but I guess the question is what is the best addition now, another bullpen arm or an outfielder? I assume all things being even ( rental or not) the outfield piece might require a little more. 

Edited by SCCWS

When the Sox traded Soria and Swarzak, 2 guys having excellent years, they received Rule 5 guys in return.   And when they traded the package of Kahnle/Frazier/Robertson, they got ONE prospect plus Rule 5 guys.  They other teams gave up very little.   Make those trades, but on the other side (If they are capable).

11 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Wow brings back the old days of certain pitchers that were always accused of doctoring the ball. I guess it's payback for the steroid era,

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

When the Sox traded Soria and Swarzak, 2 guys having excellent years, they received Rule 5 guys in return.   And when they traded the package of Kahnle/Frazier/Robertson, they got ONE prospect plus Rule 5 guys.  They other teams gave up very little.   Make those trades, but on the other side (If they are capable).

Are we really talking about trading for mediocre guys like this?  If so, I am not convinced that they would be better than the guys we have over the longer haul.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Are we really talking about trading for mediocre guys like this?  If so, I am not convinced that they would be better than the guys we have over the longer haul.

i would, personally. I think we'll have a tough 40 man next year and grabbing some middle reliever having a good year seems like a reasonable trade-off there. I would grab a middle reliever every year we are competitive to be honest, they are very cheap and I can't remember a single guy we got for a middle reliever worth anything.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Why would you sell so early on Burger when he still has to prove he can remain healthy for a full season and can play an above average big league 3B?

That provides a lot more value than Sheets, Gonzalez, Adolfo and Rutherford combined.

If they get far enough ahead in the second half, personally would like to see Adolfo get some big league at-bats and see if there’s anything there before we lose him for good...that said, it’s 90-95% likely his shot comes from a rebuilding organization with Cespedes and Colas coming up behind him and applying pressure.  Of not for all the injuries, he might have been ready in 2020 or definitely this season but unfortunately one too many setbacks it seems.

Its not a question of selling early, its a matter of a 40man roster crunch coming down in the near future and if they're able to move Burger to a non contender and take back a lotto ticket that won't have to be on the 40 man for 2-3 seasons or a utility piece seems like a better use of assets.

Yeah if the tribe could shit the bed a bit and give the sox some breathing room, i'm not opposed to seeing what they have in Adolfo or Rutherford. 

4 hours ago, bmags said:

i would, personally. I think we'll have a tough 40 man next year and grabbing some middle reliever having a good year seems like a reasonable trade-off there. I would grab a middle reliever every year we are competitive to be honest, they are very cheap and I can't remember a single guy we got for a middle reliever worth anything.

ironically Rutherford might be the guy going out this time.

46 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

ironically Rutherford might be the guy going out this time.

I would separate that trade out a bit, I think there was a difference between Kahnle who had become an elite set-up guy and would become an elite set-up guy on the contending teams vs. Soria who was having a good year but was clearly a MR for contending teams.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I would separate that trade out a bit, I think there was a difference between Kahnle who had become an elite set-up guy and would become an elite set-up guy on the contending teams vs. Soria who was having a good year but was clearly a MR for contending teams.

it was a great idea from Hahn and he managed to get back a premium talent in Rutherford.  Hasn't really worked out how we envisioned but now Rutherford is an asset the Sox can use to improve the MLB roster this year if they want.  Sox sold high on both Kahnle and Soria, which was smart.

14 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Soria had a 2.15 FIP and 1.16 WHIP when the Sox traded him. Swarzak had a 1.03 WHIP. We all know how good Kahnle and Robertson were. Why wouldn't we want one of those guys instead of Evan Marshall? They barely cost anything. 

• Like 1