White Sox select Colson Montgomery #22 overall

southsider2k5

19 hours ago, bmags said:

He is an all around guy, but has shown the best ability to get his tools to show in games and keeps improving as he rises. 

Kanny is a really difficult hitters park and especially for power. It’s also a huge jump from rookie league which is where he played at 18.

He’s been batting lead off, where I’m his k% is down, his walks are up, he’s swiped 18 of 22 bags, and has 8 hrs in 50 games.

At only 5’11 he doesn’t have a ton of room to grow, but he just keeps putting it together and feels like he could really put himself on the map in A+ where the park is easier.

Almost sounds as if he is Marcus Semien. Hope so.

33 minutes ago, bmags said:

Man I love watching videos of this kid but yeah there’s a lot of swing and miss. Gonna be interesting when he faces pitchers that have a plan against him.

Just from watching those vids his mechanics, as you'd expect from a HSer, are all over the place.  Sometimes he uses a toe tap, other times he doesn't.  Wonder if the Sox think he has some obvious stuff they can fix.

19 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Just from watching those vids his mechanics, as you'd expect from a HSer, are all over the place.  Sometimes he uses a toe tap, other times he doesn't.  Wonder if the Sox think he has some obvious stuff they can fix.

Yep saw his timing mechanisms change within the same game. Little Adam Engel-y

I liked his swing best when he removed the kick altogether.

I like Kath better.  Montgomery is very raw.  He has a great frame and is very athletic.  The tools are obvious but he lacks feel to hit and instincts for the game.  Usually those guys go to school because it's very hard to learn feel to hit facing 92+ everyday.  Kath is more polished, has a better swing and a much better chance to get to his power which is substantial. I really like they picked them both because the risk of Montgomery is mitigated by Kath.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I like Kath better.  Montgomery is very raw.  He has a great frame and is very athletic.  The tools are obvious but he lacks feel to hit and instincts for the game.  Usually those guys go to school because it's very hard to learn feel to hit facing 92+ everyday.  Kath is more polished, has a better swing and a much better chance to get to his power which is substantial. I really like they picked them both because the risk of Montgomery is mitigated by Kath.  

Can definitely see where the Corey Seager comps are coming with that frame.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oldsox said:

In another thread I asked Jimmy for his comparison on our two SS draftees.  Never got an answer. Just wondering what some of you all think....;

Both lefty bats. Both project for power. Lots of people think Colson Montgomery will stat at SS. Wes Kath definitely moves to 3B and possibly even 1B in worst case scenario. They can both hit though. 

I will say this much, there were definitely "safer" picks on the board at #22.  Shirley put himself and the Dev staff out there by drafting a pretty raw three sport athlete who has never been fully focused on baseball.  Hopefully he turns out like the last raw SS who hadn't really focused on baseball SS we drafted in the first round.

On 7/16/2021 at 8:00 AM, southsider2k5 said:

I will say this much, there were definitely "safer" picks on the board at #22.  Shirley put himself and the Dev staff out there by drafting a pretty raw three sport athlete who has never been fully focused on baseball.  Hopefully he turns out like the last raw SS who hadn't really focused on baseball SS we drafted in the first round.

Many athletes in high school play more than one sport.  The sports don't overlap.  I can't imagine any kid living in the Midwest climate just waiting to play baseball.  It was those multi sport college guys Kenny use to draft that were failures. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Many athletes in high school play more than one sport.  The sports don't overlap.  I can't imagine any kid living in the Midwest climate just waiting to play baseball.  It was those multi sport college guys Kenny use to draft that were failures. 

Many kids just as baseball.  There are many indoor facilities now where they play modified versions of the game and practice all year long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Many kids just as baseball.  There are many indoor facilities now where they play modified versions of the game and practice all year long.

Yep, kids are pushed to specialize really early and the traveling leagues really push parents that they’ll fall behind if they don’t do their fall leagues etc.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yep, kids are pushed to specialize really early and the traveling leagues really push parents that they’ll fall behind if they don’t do their fall leagues etc.

As we know, this has been correlated to increased injury rate.

• Like 3

• bmags unpinned this topic