Tanking

Harold's Leg Lift

The fight for the bottom might be more fierce than the fight for the top.  The Orioles and Cubs are currently on 12 game losing streaks and the Nats are on a 7 game losing streak. Nearly half the league is trying to not win another game.  MLB/MLBPA has to address tanking in the next CBA.  This shit is out of control.  

A salary floor is a must (there already is a salary cap).

A reverse draft order. It would incentivize winning (what a novel concept). 

Service time needs to change. It's sad to say but teams need a reason to field their best players. I really like the idea of the service time clock starting when the player signs.  Teams will no longer have a reason to hold  players back. It would also allow players to reach free agency sooner and hopefully end the ridiculous arbitration system.  

These idiots have a lot of work to do and i'm afraid they're just going to fight over how to split the enormous pie and ignore the issues that threaten thefuture of the game.  

57 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The fight for the bottom might be more fierce than the fight for the top.  The Orioles and Cubs are currently on 12 game losing streaks and the Nats are on a 7 game losing streak. Nearly half the league is trying to not win another game.  MLB/MLBPA has to address tanking in the next CBA.  This shit is out of control.  

A salary floor is a must (there already is a salary cap).

A reverse draft order. It would incentivize winning (what a novel concept). 

Service time needs to change. It's sad to say but teams need a reason to field their best players. I really like the idea of the service time clock starting when the player signs.  Teams will no longer have a reason to hold  players back. It would also allow players to reach free agency sooner and hopefully end the ridiculous arbitration system.  

These idiots have a lot of work to do and i'm afraid they're just going to fight over how to split the enormous pie and ignore the issues that threaten thefuture of the game.  

Salary floor can't work unless there is sharing of local TV revenue (which there 100% should be). You can't force teams to spend money they don't have.

No reverse draft order, but I could see a lottery where the bottom half of non-playoff teams draw for draft spots 1-10 and the other half draw for spots 11-20. Also, now that there's only one trade deadline, move it back to August 15 to be closer to the end of the season and then the sellers have less time to tank.

Agreed about service time starting when a player signs, but there needs to be an adjustment factor for younger players. If every player reaches free agency 7 years after being signed, that's a huge disincentive to draft HS players that may need longer to develop. Maybe a formula that somehow combines age and years since signing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Salary floor can't work unless there is sharing of local TV revenue (which there 100% should be). You can't force teams to spend money they don't have.

No reverse draft order, but I could see a lottery where the bottom half of non-playoff teams draw for draft spots 1-10 and the other half draw for spots 11-20. Also, now that there's only one trade deadline, move it back to August 15 to be closer to the end of the season and then the sellers have less time to tank.

Agreed about service time starting when a player signs, but there needs to be an adjustment factor for younger players. If every player reaches free agency 7 years after being signed, that's a huge disincentive to draft HS players that may need longer to develop. Maybe a formula that somehow combines age and years since signing.

Revenue sharing happens to a degree that is keeping teams from even caring if they have a winning product on the field. 

Reverse draft order is an awful idea for each and every sport. Imagine the Dodgers getting top 5 picks and more money to spend on the draft every year. They already kill it with lower draft positions. This would make it even worse. 

Teams with low budgets would mired in mediocrity forever, unless they absolutely hit on most of their draft picks. 

Edited by ron883

It would be reverse order for non playoff teams. The playofff teams would still pick at the back. If the season ended today this would be the draft order: 

1.Yankees  2. Reds  3. Blue Jays  4. Mariners  5. Cardinals.  6. Phillies 7. Mets 8. Angels 9. Indians 10. Tigers 11. Twins 12. Rockies 13. Cubs 14. Marlins 15. Royals 16. Nationals 17. Rangers 18. Pirates 19. Orioles 20. D'Backs 21. Braves 22. Padres 23. A's 24. Red Sox 25. White Sox 26. Astros 27. Brewers 28. Rays 29. Dodgers 30. Giants

This sytem would incentivize teams to win in August and September instead of trying to lose.  Teams cannot continue to be rewarded for having historically bad seasons. 

4 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

What are you talking about, each team gets just under $100M from national and web based revenue, and the "small market" teams gets welfare payments / food stamps in the tens of millions from the teams that actually generate revenue and compete. Each team takes in at least $100M, you have several teams spending less than half of that money and pocketing the difference.

https://econintersect.com/pages/analysis/analysis.php?post=201911150136

The CBA calls for these welfare payments to be spent on player salaries, but most of these spongers pocket the money and field their horseshit teams, year after year after year. It's an absolute disgrace, there needs to be relegation like the EPL and other European football leagues.

One thing I don't want to hear from any MLB franchise is that fans have to be "loyal" during these tanking periods. Tanking is one indication that a FO has failed and now is doing something desperate.

Yes, the Sox rebuild has begun to work, but there was confusion in the organization during the 2010s. Go for it? Or tank and rebuild? Many Sox fans supported the rebuild because at least the team now had a solid direction. But the last decade no Sox team went to the post-season, the club had a couple of its worst years since the 1970 106-loss season, and the decade was as bad or even worse than the 1970s when John Allyn and Bill Veeck didn't have the resources to run a major league franchise.

The Cubs situation is abysmal. I'm not  going the cry over the team getting pounded, but that club shouldn't even pretend to be a major league team. There has to be a better way to rebuild or retool without turning a team into a joke. MLB can stick the crap about being loyal.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

The adjustment for later-developing high schoolers should be approximately 1 1/2 seasons...some would argue 2 even, but 1.5 sounds about right.

36 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

So the Owners proposed lowering the salary cap (aka luxury cap) and adding a salary floor of $100M.  I haven't looked into it enough but I'm sure it's a shit offer for the players but it is an interesting jumping off spot.  A salary floor is needed.  

Not good for the White Sox individually, but definitely good for baseball in general.

Would force the Indians to significantly up payroll, and push the Royals and Tigers (who are right on the cusp of starting to think about supplementing with free agency, although the majority of that won't take place until the 2022-23 off-season.)

35 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think labor negotiations are going to be extremely ugly and there could be a strike or a lockout. 

If there’s a deal done without a lockout, my first post in the thread on it will express complete shock.

My question as of now is whether it will bleed into the season. They can go like 3 months before a lockout starts costing money.

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think labor negotiations are going to be extremely ugly and there could be a strike or a lockout. 

I'm actually optimistic they are going to come to an agreement.  They've been negotiating since April so both sides are well aware of the importance of this CBA.  They have some big issues to tackle and the owners will make it ugly but ultimately I think they'll come to an agreement without a  work stoppage.  

13 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'm actually optimistic they are going to come to an agreement.  They've been negotiating since April so both sides are well aware of the importance of this CBA.  They have some big issues to tackle and the owners will make it ugly but ultimately I think they'll come to an agreement without a  work stoppage.  

Yeah mlb would lose a ton of fans if there was a work stoppage. Those things are not quite related but Fans are still pissed off they lost half of 2020 due to covid and if they have another half season next year they will connect those things and be extremely pissed off. Can't have like two truncated seasons in 3 years. 

Still it will be very tough to find an agreement. 

On 8/18/2021 at 7:38 PM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

So the Owners proposed lowering the salary cap (aka luxury cap) and adding a salary floor of $100M.  I haven't looked into it enough but I'm sure it's a shit offer for the players but it is an interesting jumping off spot.  A salary floor is needed.  

Good thing this a researched, factual and unbiased comment. 😁

Edited by ptatc

On 8/19/2021 at 8:45 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think the funniest part is how the owners used their shills to leak this proposal to the public.  Hey look at us we're trying to fix the game! We're the good guys! 

It is a good proposal for restructuring the "salary cap." There will of course be negotiations on the actual numbers but I think the salary floor is a great way to force the teams to not tank as much and force a more competitive league.

3 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Yeah mlb would lose a ton of fans if there was a work stoppage. Those things are not quite related but Fans are still pissed off they lost half of 2020 due to covid and if they have another half season next year they will connect those things and be extremely pissed off. Can't have like two truncated seasons in 3 years. 

Still it will be very tough to find an agreement. 

Not to mention the fact the owners used the situation to lockout players from well over half the season, because they were completely satisfied limiting 2020 payroll to the laughable playoff shares ($7,680 for wild card entrants through $184,000 for World Series champions).

A 100-120 plus game season was a reasonable compromise, but the owners   were ecstatic they unilaterally destroyed well over half the season. MLB was the only sport whose owners were not committed to playing the maximum amount of games feasible under the circumstances.

Owners are now looking to create permanent 162 game exhibition season schedule, with sixteen, possibly more, teams reaching the playoffs, rendering the regular season as meaningless as the NBA and NHL.

Jerry was completely satisfied destroying the 1994 White Sox World Series team as one of firmest anti player / anti settlement hardline owners. Federal Judge Sonia Sotomayor was the only person standing in his way from destroying the 1995 season, and possibly beyond.

Thankfully Jerry does not hold as much power or broad owner support as he did nearly 30 years ago. Jerry lost the battle to replace his personal hand puppet Selig with a more anti player hardline candidate when the majority of owners voted against Jerry. Sadly, owners wouldn’t consider a decent candidate or human being among the two considered, with drunken assclown Rob Manfred the alternative candidate. 

59 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'm told the players big ask is fewer games with the same pay so they'll create a 154 game exhibition season with expanded playoffs.  Yippee

Not a bad proposal. The expanded playoffs should be a good incentive for the owners. More teams in it so it will generate more interest for fans.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'm told the players big ask is fewer games with the same pay so they'll create a 154 game exhibition season with expanded playoffs.  Yippee

If the TV money evens out, that's not a bad idea. Tweak the playoff format though. Instead of just 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, etc. let the #1 seed pick which team seeded 5-8 they want to play. #2 gets 2nd pick.

19 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

If the TV money evens out, that's not a bad idea. Tweak the playoff format though. Instead of just 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, etc. let the #1 seed pick which team seeded 5-8 they want to play. #2 gets 2nd pick.

Or give the 1 and 2 seeds byes to next round and than have more 3 game series etc.