Giolito exits early, will miss at least one start

southsider2k5

Hopefully he will only miss a couple of starts at most, and fully recover.

"I pulled my hammy a little bit," Giolito said after the game. "I think it was a couple pitches after that swinging bunt play, and it reminded me of the feeling of when in '19, I pulled my hamstring, but it wasn't as intense. So that's why I wanted to keep going and see how it felt."

At this juncture, it just seems imperative to get the rotation healthy. If this means Lucas misses one or two starts, so be it. The only chance the Sox have at advancing in the playoffs is if they are getting rock solid performances from the top 3 in the rotation (Lynn, Rodon, and Gio). Bats have been far too inconsistent this year to be relied on against playoff level pitching. 

Rest Lucas for 2 weeks, then really start putting these guys on pitch limits. 

We have 2 off-days coming up. We can skip his start in Oakland by going with Rodon, Keuchel, Lopez. We then come back home to play Boston and Lynn should be ready to come off the IL by then if he stays the minimum amount of days on the IL. He can realistically skip 2 starts if he needs to heal it or just go on the 10 day IL if it's serious. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

We have 2 off-days coming up. We can skip his start in Oakland by going with Rodon, Keuchel, Lopez. We then come back home to play Boston and Lynn should be ready to come off the IL by then if he stays the minimum amount of days on the IL. He can realistically skip 2 starts if he needs to heal it or just go on the 10 day IL if it's serious. 

If he isn't going to start for 10 days anyways there is no reason not to put him on the IL and bring up another bullpen arm

1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:

If he isn't going to start for 10 days anyways there is no reason not to put him on the IL and bring up another bullpen arm

I agree. Even if it isn't serious, I don't see the harm in giving him 10 days off. We need him fresh for the playoffs. He'll still get at least 3 starts to ramp up for the playoffs if he misses 2 starts. 

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Pretty much every MLB S & C coach should be fired if hammys were grounds for dismissal. I wonder why football players don't have this issue to the same extent.

Same reason you don't see many of the type of injuries that Robert and Buxton had in the NFL and that is baseball is a stop and go sport with a daily grind whereas in football the muscles are always warm in game and you get 6 days to recover.

I didn't play football psst HS but I played like 90% of our snaps and I would say it's a completely different athletic grind than baseball.  Similar in difficulty but completely different.  One thing I'd say that was similar was that something is almost always bothering you in both sports.  In baseball, especially in college when we were playing 40 games in a two months, my hands were always beat up and my arm was almost always sore. In HS football it was usually a mild ankle sprain or similar "get rolled up on" type injury like a knee sprain.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.  I think baseball should do more to have guys staying warm between ABs.  Maybe more guys will start riding a bike like you see in the NBA.  I feel the same way about soccer.  I never understood how in soccer a sub can warmup for literally like 3 minutes and then be expected to go balls to the wall for 20 minutes or whatever.  That's just not enough time to get loose and get the blood flowing into the muscles and joints.