2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

He never was the same after the injury.  I like him but his blocking is not good 

also he has no pass catching. I'm fine running back with him/monty since monty should be super cheap.

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

also he has no pass catching. I'm fine running back with him/monty since monty should be super cheap.

I think both points are fair. I do think he has a place on this team though. I did say I wanted to see them throwing to the RBs more.....Wish we saw more outta Ebnar because he was that guy in college. 

Where is Danny Woodhead? Lol

4 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I think both points are fair. I do think he has a place on this team though. I did say I wanted to see them throwing to the RBs more.....Wish we saw more outta Ebnar because he was that guy in college. 

Where is Danny Woodhead? Lol

I certainly don’t want to cast him aside, I just think he works best as the “lightning” in a Thunder and Lightning type RB combo 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Somewhat interesting that he mentioned possibly going way down in the draft as well. 

I love Carter and Anderson, and there's a way to go up and get him, but I really wanna find a way to get JSN. I look at what Olave and Wilson did this year and think, my goodness,  JSN outproduced both of them 2 years ago. 

55 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Somewhat interesting that he mentioned possibly going way down in the draft as well. 

I love Carter and Anderson, and there's a way to go up and get him, but I really wanna find a way to get JSN. I look at what Olave and Wilson did this year and think, my goodness,  JSN outproduced both of them 2 years ago. 

I think you just don't want to make a colts or texans feel like you don't want to drop out of top five, and they need to be aware of a huge leap frog from like, commanders/jets

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I actually agree with Chisoxfn here. I think you take the talent where it is. I'd target pollard if he actually becomes a FA, but Saquon is such a beast in the passing game. It would be interesting if Mike Thomas comes cheap (which...I mean he kinda should), as he'd be a perfect flyer for a team that can take a little more risk on.

The other thing is the whole league has started to down grade RBs again after the Elliott/Gurley run, and I think that helps maintain his money at a low rate.

I’d not totally against, just depends on price.  I saw someone speculating Montgomery would get 3/$30M which seems insane to me.  But if Saquon or Pollard can be had at non insane prices I’d be fine with signing either of them.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d not totally against, just depends on price.  I saw someone speculating Montgomery would get 3/$30M which seems insane to me.  But if Saquon or Pollard can be had at non insane prices I’d be fine with signing either of them.

There are sooo many good RBs in this FA class and Monty may not even be top 5. Fournette was the top back last year and got 3 for 21, with 9 million guaranteed. I have a hard time believing he beats that. I think he's more in the 2 for 14 territory

• Like 1

So Spielberger mentioned how the bears basically have to spend this year a similar amount to what Jax did last year.

So just for an idea on what that looked like

1. Christian Kirk 4 for 72  
2. Brandon Scherff 3 for 49 
3. Foyesade Oluokun 3 for 45
4. Darious Williams 3 for 30
5. Foley Fatukasi 3 for 30
6. Zay Jones 3 for 24
7. Evan Engram 1 for 9
8. Arden Key 1 for 4
9. Adam Gotsis 1 for 1.4
10. Laquon Treadwell 1 for 1.1
11. Tre Herndon 1 for 1
12. Wyatt Ray 1 for 1

So it was a lot, though not that  wild. My proposal would be a lot more than this. But a lot of the issue was Kirk getting so much more than people expected a slot receiver to get, the rest weren't that wild.

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

I am good with a view of getting a tackle and a high end wideout and than assume you can fille some of the dline talent via free agency and next year.  

The way Ballard talking seems so foolish that I’m wondering if he’s instead going to try and use 4th overall for something like getting Baltimore to do a tag and trade for Lamar. Baltimore could trade back with Las Vegas and get Carr, and then plan on making a big trade up for a rookie the next year with likely colts + raiders additional firsts.

Random thought....I'm surprised 2 TE sets haven't really been a thing all that much. Back when Gronk and Hernandez were doing their thing it seemed to be all the craze. Now when thinking about adding a guy like Engram I got to thinking, do teams still highly utilize 2 TEs and the answer appears to be no. 

Pre Washington game we saw a lot of 2 TE sets out of the Bears, but that appeared to be more out of the necessity of having an extra blocker. 

I think Poles extends Kmet, and I certainly wouldn't be mad at em. 

13 hours ago, scs787 said:

Random thought....I'm surprised 2 TE sets haven't really been a thing all that much. Back when Gronk and Hernandez were doing their thing it seemed to be all the craze. Now when thinking about adding a guy like Engram I got to thinking, do teams still highly utilize 2 TEs and the answer appears to be no. 

Pre Washington game we saw a lot of 2 TE sets out of the Bears, but that appeared to be more out of the necessity of having an extra blocker. 

I think Poles extends Kmet, and I certainly wouldn't be mad at em. 

Andy Reid in KC uses 3 TE sets sometimes.

I love seeing the big guys out there.

But Reid also does a "snow globe" huddle, so who knows?

So officially Kevin Warren as Bears prez.

Not surprising, when these things leak it's usually close to the finish line as more parties get brought in (contracts, referrals, vetting).

Hope he's good, I wanted someone from Liberty Media and the Braves but getting someone from NFL/Football who can handle stadium construction funding and all that's involved is a plus for the McCaskeys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bossanoveralls said:

Andy Reid in KC uses 3 TE sets sometimes.

I love seeing the big guys out there.

But Reid also does a "snow globe" huddle, so who knows?

Ehhhhh, I mean 2 featured guys like the Patriots had with Gronk/Hernandez.  KCs 2nd TE only had 299 yards. 

I'm taking like 2 600+ yard guys. 

8 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Ehhhhh, I mean 2 featured guys like the Patriots had with Gronk/Hernandez.  KCs 2nd TE only had 299 yards. 

I'm taking like 2 600+ yard guys. 

You really need a guy with that killer mentality as your number 2 for it to be successful.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

So officially Kevin Warren as Bears prez.

Not surprising, when these things leak it's usually close to the finish line as more parties get brought in (contracts, referrals, vetting).

Hope he's good, I wanted someone from Liberty Media and the Braves but getting someone from NFL/Football who can handle stadium construction funding and all that's involved is a plus for the McCaskeys.

Black CEO, Black GM and a Black QB?

I know it looked like a certainty when Warren was announced but I still can't believe it. 

I hope the Bears use their cap space to address the LOS on both sides of the ball, get a corner opposite Johnson and add more speed on offense.

I do not want them to spend any money on any of the RBs coming out, I think would be a tremendous waste of cash. I think they can find someone in the draft to replace Montgomery. I like the RBs from Tulane and UCLA respectively. 

13 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Black CEO, Black GM and a Black QB?

I know it looked like a certainty when Warren was announced but I still can't believe it. 

I hope the Bears use their cap space to address the LOS on both sides of the ball, get a corner opposite Johnson and add more speed on offense.

I do not want them to spend any money on any of the RBs coming out, I think would be a tremendous waste of cash. I think they can find someone in the draft to replace Montgomery. I like the RBs from Tulane and UCLA respectively. 

I don't think there is wasting money this year, and I doubt many get a long term deal given the glut of good RBs on the market.

But yeah I kinda want to get that free agent tampa corner and cement gordon as a slot corner where I think he can shine with his size. 

But only if we can get a good tackle and at least some passable edges.

• bmags locked this topic