2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

I have to say my memory of when Lovie was hired was that the club was in transition, in chaos, and couldn't find the coach they wanted so they handed it to Lovie who was well respected in the org.

I kinda thought at the time everyone assumed he was just the equivalent of a placeholder. Didn't realize so many expected him as a long term hire. And given that Mills didn't really take the next step and the team didn't fare much better, not sure why you'd keep him around if you don't view him as the long term guy.

But obviously that org is a mess, not saying it's good, just surprised that many thought lovie would be there past this year.

My guesses:

McVay "retires". Given how things tend to work out for the rams recently, would be funny if Payton and McVay basically swap places and Payton goes to LA, McVay goes to booth. Was a nightmare year but I still think Rams talent is strong and Payton would rather work with a Stafford type.

Broncos fire  hacket, hire harbaugh. I think they are a more likely fit for Harbaugh since Paton is now in this weird state where he is sort of neutered with his terrible decisions. Harbaugh clearly wants nfl with rich owners that align with him.

Carolina - I could see Wilks maybe staying for a year while Carolina sees what's possible in offseason, but I'd say more likely that they go after like Kafka.

Arizona - controversial but I say they keep Kingsbury another year.

Houston - made their decision, I feel like they'll have to go to college to get a coach, I don't know why. Not sure who fits mold but maybe Todd Monken return.

Browns should move on but I think they keep stefanski.

Atlanta -  I gotta wonder where this is going. Hard to pull the plug after just giving Smith Mariota and saying fix it, but when you see someone like Dan Campbell integrating the young players and ascending to a winning record, it's hard to watch the falcons in a not great division just be nothing for multiple years under smith. I say he's fired

Commanders - keep Rivera since everything will be a holding pattern until the sale.

If I was Jets I'd fire saleh. That defense was incredibly talented, you made the gamble to go after playoffs with a backup and you didn't get in playoffs and don't have a QB long-term. I would imagine Jets will be the leverage played against baltimore in their Lamar saga. Then they sign baker mayfield.

So I guess 6 new coaches is my guess. I'd say Dan Quinn gets a job. Kafka gets a job. Payton obviously, harbaugh makes move. Then last is todd monken gets a job.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

My guesses:

McVay "retires". Given how things tend to work out for the rams recently, would be funny if Payton and McVay basically swap places and Payton goes to LA, McVay goes to booth. Was a nightmare year but I still think Rams talent is strong and Payton would rather work with a Stafford type.

Broncos fire  hacket, hire harbaugh. I think they are a more likely fit for Harbaugh since Paton is now in this weird state where he is sort of neutered with his terrible decisions. Harbaugh clearly wants nfl with rich owners that align with him.

Carolina - I could see Wilks maybe staying for a year while Carolina sees what's possible in offseason, but I'd say more likely that they go after like Kafka.

Arizona - controversial but I say they keep Kingsbury another year.

Houston - made their decision, I feel like they'll have to go to college to get a coach, I don't know why. Not sure who fits mold but maybe Todd Monken return.

Browns should move on but I think they keep stefanski.

Atlanta -  I gotta wonder where this is going. Hard to pull the plug after just giving Smith Mariota and saying fix it, but when you see someone like Dan Campbell integrating the young players and ascending to a winning record, it's hard to watch the falcons in a not great division just be nothing for multiple years under smith. I say he's fired

Commanders - keep Rivera since everything will be a holding pattern until the sale.

If I was Jets I'd fire saleh. That defense was incredibly talented, you made the gamble to go after playoffs with a backup and you didn't get in playoffs and don't have a QB long-term. I would imagine Jets will be the leverage played against baltimore in their Lamar saga. Then they sign baker mayfield.

So I guess 6 new coaches is my guess. I'd say Dan Quinn gets a job. Kafka gets a job. Payton obviously, harbaugh makes move. Then last is todd monken gets a job.

Payton is gonna be a little tricky because the other team will need to trade for him but I do think it happens.  I just wonder if the Rams have any picks left that could move the needle

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Could you get what Houston got for Watson for Fields? Draft a QB1, trade Fields for 3 firsts, and a couple of more picks. Reset the QB rookie contract. 

I kinda doubt it and I'm still a Fields fan. Watson was way more accomplished.  I think I'd gladly take 2 1s and some change if they go that route. 

I still think you give Fields another year. Trade down thus year and if the team still sucks next year you hopefully have the assets to move up to get Williams next year.

Drafting a QB is hard man. Justin Fields had the best stats in college between Fields/Young/Williams. 

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

I kinda doubt it and I'm still a Fields fan. Watson was way more accomplished.  I think I'd gladly take 2 1s and some change if they go that route. 

I still think you give Fields another year. Trade down thus year and if the team still sucks next year you hopefully have the assets to move up to get Williams next year.

Drafting a QB is hard man. Justin Fields had the best stats in college between Fields/Young/Williams. 

While it 100% could happen, it shouldn't. There is zero reason this team shouldn't have 7-8 wins next year unless injuries totally take the team down. 

18 minutes ago, Tony said:

While it 100% could happen, it shouldn't. There is zero reason this team shouldn't have 7-8 wins next year unless injuries totally take the team down. 

Oh I definitely agree as evidence by my previous posts. I do think there is a world where this defense drastically improves and Fields doesn't. He does have to improve as a passer and I do think that will happen, but it may not. If he doesn't,  you have ammo to move up next year with a trade down this year. 

My #1 non-negotiable is - the Bears should absolutely make sure they get a future 1st RP in next years draft. They should enter next year with 2 picks - if for nothing else in a trade down scenario, knowing whomever gets the #1 pick is going to take a QB, you are almost guaranteed that next year's pick will be Top 10 (and just as likely top 5).  So you got to get that - cause that is hugely valuable.

Beyond that - if you are hedging your bets, having that pick is huge, because if Fields is good - you have multiple assets to continue to build the team in the right area via the draft (and you can always use the asset to trade back and continue to add talent).  But you also now have the option if Fields is bad, to have 2 high picks, which means if you don't think you have the QB - you have the ability take another swing at the QB (leveraging those 2 picks to move up in the draft if you ultimately need to) or to trade for a veteran option that is on the market.

If I am Poles - I have to do that - because it means I'm sitting in the catbird seat and basically getting 2 shots at the QB (1 is Fields, the other is next year if Fields stinks) and you can do it without gutting your team in any scenario (if nothing else - next year's QB will be in an even better position).  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

My #1 non-negotiable is - the Bears should absolutely make sure they get a future 1st RP in next years draft. They should enter next year with 2 picks - if for nothing else in a trade down scenario, knowing whomever gets the #1 pick is going to take a QB, you are almost guaranteed that next year's pick will be Top 10 (and just as likely top 5).  So you got to get that - cause that is hugely valuable.

Beyond that - if you are hedging your bets, having that pick is huge, because if Fields is good - you have multiple assets to continue to build the team in the right area via the draft (and you can always use the asset to trade back and continue to add talent).  But you also now have the option if Fields is bad, to have 2 high picks, which means if you don't think you have the QB - you have the ability take another swing at the QB (leveraging those 2 picks to move up in the draft if you ultimately need to) or to trade for a veteran option that is on the market.

If I am Poles - I have to do that - because it means I'm sitting in the catbird seat and basically getting 2 shots at the QB (1 is Fields, the other is next year if Fields stinks) and you can do it without gutting your team in any scenario (if nothing else - next year's QB will be in an even better position).  

I think with a few decent players, next year they should be decent. They lost a  lot of games they were in. A pass rusher, a receiver, a couple of decent lineman, maybe they win those games. But I do agree, they need multiple first round picks next year. I personally think they should at least think about moving on from Fields. I think he nets more than the #1 pick. Then you wind up with a guy who may be better, will be cheap for a few years, and probably multiple first rounders for Fields. But I would understand why they wouldn't take the gamble.

Edited by Dick Allen

18 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think an interesting dynamic is if teams trying to move up are more likely to try to give current year trade capital after seeing what happened to the Rams, Texans, Saints of recent years giving much higher picks than imagined.

Obviously, it can be hard to get the amount of value you need in current draft, but maybe teams who feel they are a QB away may be less inclined to send many future picks.

For example, I saw a tweet today saying bears get the texans 2 first round picks this year (2, 12), then trade back with seahawks for 5, 20. They'd end up with 5, 12, 20.

But to me the ideal would be back for multiple future firsts, especially an atlanta, carolina who are unlikely to see a big leap with one.

Spielberger has been harping on this:

Not only do the bears have a lot of space, but because they have been below the mandated spending floor the last few years, they have to spend a lot of it.

And while FA looks meh now, with teams like bucs, saints, rams that have been in win now mode for years, we may see many more guys available as they hit the reset button.

28 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think an interesting dynamic is if teams trying to move up are more likely to try to give current year trade capital after seeing what happened to the Rams, Texans, Saints of recent years giving much higher picks than imagined.

Obviously, it can be hard to get the amount of value you need in current draft, but maybe teams who feel they are a QB away may be less inclined to send many future picks.

For example, I saw a tweet today saying bears get the texans 2 first round picks this year (2, 12), then trade back with seahawks for 5, 20. They'd end up with 5, 12, 20.

But to me the ideal would be back for multiple future firsts, especially an atlanta, carolina who are unlikely to see a big leap with one.

Well - if Houston gives up that - I have no issue.  That seems like a steep price for Houston to pay to go from 1-2, but boy woul that be amazing. Than just make sure when you go from 2 down (if that is what you do) you get a future first rounder (whether from Colts or whomever).  

My issue is most teams can't offer you 2 FRP this year that are worth enough to make it worthwhile.  

• bmags locked this topic