2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

1 hour ago, pcq said:

I like Fields but he may not last long with his running game. Josh Allen is a big guy but he too needs to cut back and find the sidelines.

If Fields can't become a good passer (which given his legs means just okay as a pure passer) - than I think they are fine. If the Bears don't think he can do that or have extreme reservations around that front - than they really do need to due all the diligence on the QB's (the reality is they need to anyway - if for nothing else to ensure they maximize all the leverage they can).  

I know 3 absolute positives:

1. Fields is an amazing athlete (like one of the most special ever at the position),

2. He has arm talent to make all the throws, and

3. He has the "it" factor in terms of being a natural born leader + right work ethic.  

I also see 2 material negatives: 

1. His ability to process the field quickly - I see him go through progressions - but his ability to get rid of the football quickly and take the play in front of him, is absolutely horrific (I don't have a metric behind it - but I think its one of the worse I've ever seen - maybe because I think of all his other attributes). Does he need to be elite with this to be good, no, but he needs to be serviceable here.  Having poor wideouts and poor protection DID not help him here and only the Bears knows how much growth he made (or didn't make this year).  If in film review they know he made material progress - than you have real momentum that helps build on a belief that he can make major growth here. The inverse is - if through film review the team DID NOT see that progression or minimal progression - that is a real issue because you can't just blame it all on talent, etc. That might just tell you what you have.  

2. Need to continue to clean-up his footwork and mechanics - he has all the arm talent (as I mentioned in the strengths) - but his ability to be more consistency on check downs and short / intermediate throws - will require continued improvements in this camp. Given the material progress he showed (this year vs. last year) on this front - I see zero reason to not project this out. 

Bottom line:

This means if I am the Bears - my assessment in Fields upside really all comes down to there views around his ability to process the field quickly.  If you saw real progress this year - than I think you should feel real comfort with another year in the league, one year in the system, and improved blocking and weapons around him - that you could see a major step forward in '24. If you saw minimal progress - than you have to be looking at QB. 

And as a fan - we really can't assess the above - because we don't know the expectations of the plays, the calls at the line, etc.  Only the coaching staff and player know that.

What I can say is - Getsy's body language most of the year seemed to insinuate very strong growth in the above and positive momentum there (with the exception of the Lions game - where he was pretty clear in how poor that performance was).   

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Derek Carr just said bye to the Raiders on instagram 

I really struggle to figure out where he'll go. Carolina and Indy are now past the retread route. 

Houston too close to drafting one, but it's possible, but I just doubt Carr says yes.

It's hard to believe he's that big of an upgrade over Tannehill, so I can't see TEN.

Seattle still just would be shocking to see them not retain Geno.

I feel like it's either Washington or Atlanta will be the Carr/Garropolo destinations.

But the other team I guess could be the Jets, but they are probably more Jimmy G.

It's going to be a wild year for QBs. I kinda feel like Brady goes to SF too, something weird like that.

57 minutes ago, bmags said:

I really struggle to figure out where he'll go. Carolina and Indy are now past the retread route. 

Houston too close to drafting one, but it's possible, but I just doubt Carr says yes.

It's hard to believe he's that big of an upgrade over Tannehill, so I can't see TEN.

I feel like it's either Washington or Atlanta will be the Carr/Garropolo destinations.

But the other team I guess could be the Jets, but they are probably more Jimmy G.

It's going to be a wild year for QBs. I kinda feel like Brady goes to SF too, something weird like that.

Yea me and some guys at work listed off all the QB opening possibilities this season and came up with 

Tampa 

carolina 

houston 

New orleans

NYJ

Tennessee 

49ers

washington 

Atlanta 

some of them are iffy due to scenario but personally I think best bets for Carr are Carolina Jets and Atlanta 

I didn’t list Indy because they seem to be super done with placeholders and I don’t think Carr wants that 

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yea me and some guys at work listed off all the QB opening possibilities this season and came up with 

Tampa 

carolina 

houston 

New orleans

NYJ

Tennessee 

49ers

washington 

Atlanta 

some of them are iffy due to scenario but personally I think best bets for Carr are Carolina Jets and Atlanta 

I didn’t list Indy because they seem to be super done with placeholders and I don’t think Carr wants that 

Holy crap I forgot about tampa and NO. This year is nuts. I remember a few years ago it seemed like every team had a QB plan, this has gotta be the highest percentage of drifters I can remember.

Daniel Jones is probably sitting pretty now as I can't imagine the Giants want to jump in that carousel at the moment.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Carr is not a good QB.

On 1/10/2023 at 3:36 PM, southsider2k5 said:

If there was a QB in this years draft that can read defenses faster and better than Fields, would that blow him away?

It would me.

Quarterbacks that are really really good and fast at reading defenses always seem to have the best offensive lines, I always say.

Here's a little poll question...

Let's say Indy doesn't want to give up 3 1st rounders, but they'll give you 2 and your choice of any player on their roster. Who would you take?

A. DeForest Buckner

B. Michael Pittman Jr.

C. Quentin Nelson

Would you take 2 of the above and #4?

Buckner gets brought up a lot, but I'm not so sure I wouldn't choose Pittman over Buckner. Nelson would be really nice as well as you could either try and move Whitehair back inside or just move on.

4 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Let's say Indy doesn't want to give up 3 1st rounders, but they'll give you 2 and your choice of any player on their roster. Who would you take?

A. DeForest Buckner

B. Michael Pittman Jr.

C. Quentin Nelson

Buckner gets brought up a lot, but I'm not so sure I wouldn't choose Pittman over Buckner. Nelson would be really nice as well as you could either try and move Whitehair back inside or just move on.

Are you saying 2 first rounders as in 4 overall plus a 2024 first and a player? I’d go B, but would be silly of colts as they trade up for a QB.

But I’d probably go Buckner, then restructure him.

But if we get an extra third this year plus a future first that would be great for a trade back of three spots, imo.

17 hours ago, scs787 said:

A. DeForest Buckner

B. Michael Pittman Jr.

C. Quentin Nelson

I think the Whitehair experiment at Center is not happening again.  Ideally we're able to move on from him this offseason; he's just not he same player he was a few years ago.

In your scenario, I'm probably taking Pittman, though Nelson is a close 2nd.  Pittman is the youngest of the 3, and WR is the weakest crop among this year's free agent market and draftees.  Buckner would have the most immediate impact as the 3T in this defense and he's an awesome player, but he's the oldest of those 3 guys, and I have faith in the Bears finding other ways to fill that hole, whether it's through free agency or the draft.  Same with OG, even though Nelson would immediately become our best OL.  A year ago I probably would have said Nelson.  As for WR, this year's free agent class is extremely weak, and while the draft class has some solid Day 2 depth, in terms of adding a #1, Pittman would be our best bet.  And that doesn't stop you from continuing to improve that position next year or the year after.  If Pittman becomes your #2 because you've found a legit #1, that's fantastic.  A WR group of Pittman, Mooney, and Claypool is far better than how we started last season.

so dane brugler had his mock go out today.

Had bears trade 1st overall to Colts for 4th overall, their 2023 second (where they selected BJ Olujari), and a 2024 first.

on a PFF podcast yesterday, they indicated just a 2024 first to Bears for 4th overall.

In both cases, they took Jalen Carter.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Had bears trade 1st overall to Colts for 4th overall, their 2023 second (where they selected BJ Olujari), and a 2024 first.

on a PFF podcast yesterday, they indicated just a 2024 first to Bears for 4th overall.

I do that trade easy. 

On 1/12/2023 at 2:57 PM, bmags said:

Washington to compete with Howell 

5 hours ago, bmags said:

If you look at the points chart (I know that’s not gospel) it shows #4, 2023 2nd and 2024 1st at a minimum. If they get more than equal points then maybe some thirds? I’m reluctant to take on more than one expensive position player.  I think you need those 2nd and 3rd to build a deep roster (which is why it pained me to trade a 2 for Claypool)

4 hours ago, NCsoxfan said:

If you look at the points chart (I know that’s not gospel) it shows #4, 2023 2nd and 2024 1st at a minimum. If they get more than equal points then maybe some thirds? I’m reluctant to take on more than one expensive position player.  I think you need those 2nd and 3rd to build a deep roster (which is why it pained me to trade a 2 for Claypool)

I agree - I don’t think that is enough value and bears will get more. With that said - if they couldn’t get more than that I would still make that trade. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2023-nfl-mock-draft-panthers-trade-up-to-no-1-overall-for-qb-commanders-select-anthony-richardson/

Round 1 - Pick 9
Clemson • Soph • 6'5" / 305 lbs

Bresee is a freaky specimen who can disrupt from any position up front. He's the exact type the Bears desperately need. In the trade back, Chicago lands this pick from Carolina along with two 2023 second-round selections, a first-round and third-round pick in 2024, a 2025 second-round pick, and Laviska Shenault.

7 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

yeah that haul would be nice but not a fan of either clemson guy. I'd rather just go Skowronski there and kinda amazed that christian gonzalez isn't even in the first round in that mock.

• bmags locked this topic